We really like Whitstable and have been there on a number of occasions and on this occasion we booked Heron House. My wife and I, my wife's parents and our 3 children.
We enjoyed our stay and the house was pleasant enough.
On the day of our departure my wife received a rather gruff voice message from the owner along the lines that she (the owner) thought we hadn't left the property yet - we had left the property on time (this was, it transpired, a passive aggressive reference to us not having cleaned the property to her satisfaction). We tried to contact the owner again that day but to no avail. On the Saturday - we vacated the property on the Thursday - the owner wrote a long email to us saying - in summary - the following:
1. Her cleaners had not turned up so she has to do the cleaning of the property herself.
2. The house was not cleaned in accordance with the terms and conditions (!)
3. Our two eldest boys had moved the beds together in their room and "scuffed" the floor.
4. A spindle had come out on the stairs.
5. She would like (passive aggressive) to deduct £100 from our deposit for these issues.
1 and 2. I have rented out my holiday home, but i never expected holidaying guests to clean when they leave the property - it is a holiday! Who wants to clean on a holiday.
3. The reason my sons put the beds together was that they kept falling off them whilst asleep as they were too narrow! We didn't see any "scuffs" and quite frankly, this is a pathetic assertion as it constitutes wear and tear.
4. The spindle was hanging off when we arrived - which is dangerous - and the owner appeared to accept this in the end suggesting to me she knew it was a problem.
5. After a week away in Whitstable i was very busy at work and did not have the time or energy to argue with the owner so i said that i would pay the £100 if she made a suitable reduction for the Spindle. She deducted £10.
Well i hope the ill gotten gains were worth this review.
Now here's the thing: the owners real irritation was that she had not booked cleaners (to save money no doubt) and had to do more cleaning than she anticipated. If you want to finish your holiday cleaning a house as well as trying to pack for your children then this is the property for you. If not, either stay away from Heron House or be prepared to forfeit some or all of your deposit.
Also don't forget to look at term and condition 10 if you want to keep your £250 security deposit.
We have just returned from a fabulous week's holiday at Heron House. Its location is perfect: it's within walking distance of the station, a few minutes walk to the beach, the park and the high street.
Heron House is definitely the best self- catering accommodation we have stayed in. The house is welcoming, just like its owner, Julie, who has furnished the rooms with great style, thoughtfully equipping them to anticipate guests' every need.
The large kitchen/diner is a real plus with its family sized table and French doors opening onto a private, enclosed garden - ideal for children.
We had great fun exploring Whitstable, with its many cafes, restaurants and individual shops.
We'll be back!
Gorgeous house - lovely decor and thoughtful touches for us and our dog. Great recommendations for restaurants and things to do locally. Having parking is such an asset in Whitstable. Cannot fault it -am sure we'll return.
Just returned from a wonderful weekend with friends at Heron House. Decor, furniture and style of the place was stunning yet homely. The house was lovely and warm and really well equipped, particularly the kitchen. Our quirky ensuite loft room was a highlight for me!
Communication with Julie was always really efficient and helpful. We really felt Julie cared about us having a great time.
Would highly recommend this house for groups of 8 as it's a lovely home from home in a lovely little town with lots of nice shops and places to eat, right by the sea.
The house is wonderfully furnished .great garden very secure for our dachshund to be let out in . Very near all the restaurants and shops in whittastable .and 4 minutes from great walks along the sea front .will defineltly visit again .