All reviews union street high street bar menu isle of wight bar area quiet room buffet breakfast two courses kippers hotel is situated a lovely stay comfy bed excellent value for money sea front yelfs rebecca annex
Reviewed 7 August 2018

Stayed here one night in early August for a family wedding.
Really nice hotel. Staff very friendly and obliging. We were especially grateful to the cleaners who agreed to delay cleaning our room so we could get ready for the wedding when we were running late. Room was nice, spacious, clean. Our only complaint was that there was a generator/air conditioner nearby outside which disturbed our sleep a little. The Wedding Reception was also held at the hotel and the food was top quality. Breakfast was also really good, especially the fried part. Very enjoyable stay. Happy to recommend.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank PhantomHammer
YelfsHotel, General Manager at Yelf's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2018

Thank you for taking time to review your stay at Yelf's Hotel. I will pass on your positive comments to all of the team here and we look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to the Island.

Regards

Reviewed 6 August 2018

This is an old rambling property which has grown organically linking adjoining buildings. So there are likely to be many stairs both up and down to get to you room. The stair carpets are ageing and threadbare in part. The so called security door at the top of the first flight of stairs, which requires a code, was often clicked open especially from when the room staff had been working, completely negating the security. The room was a disappointingly tiny single with zero view. While it was hard to find anything positive about it, credit where credit is due, the shower was constant temperature and good pressure and there were plenty of clothes hangers. The lights above the bathroom mirror and in the wardrobe alcove didn't work. There was a permanent smell of drains and a loud fan whirred somewhere outside day and night. The weather was hot and the room oppressively hot even when the lower floors were beginning to cool down in the evening. I then discovered some rooms had fans. I was told at reception there were 'none left'. Three further attempts with reception staff to get a fan as room occupation changed were met with promises 'to check' and even 'we might be getting more' but nothing happened, not even an apology. It seemed no one cared. My room was at the very top of one of the buildings which collected all the hot air but no thought or priority was given to this. Sleep was almost impossible. I only tried the cooked part of the buffet breakfast once. Breeze block scrambled egg, inedible bacon, and sausages whose enormous size wasn't matched by taste deterred me from trying again.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Yelf's Hotel. We take all customer comments very seriously which is why I am currently looking into this matter. I am very sorry that during your stay with us you were not provided with our usual exceptional standard of customer service and that the breakfast was not at its usual high quality. I have spoken to my kitchen team regarding this and steps have been taken to make sure that the quality of the hot buffet is at a high standard throughout service.

We have struggled with purchasing fans during the last week due to high seasonal demand in the shops on the island, although we have supplied new fans to 32 of our 40 rooms. I am very sorry that during this extreme weather you were not provided with a fan.

I was not aware of the maintenance issues with your room and I would have most definitely had the lights replaced had I known. All my team here at Yelf''s strives to provide a quality service to all our guests and if it appeared that "no-one cared" I apologise, for this is most certainly not the case. Every member of staff at Yelf's endeavours to go the extra mile for our customers and I am so sorry that you felt that this did not happen.

I would like to be able to welcome you back to Yelf's again to show you that we can meet your expectations of customer service and quality food. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you wish to discuss this matter further.

Reviewed 25 July 2018

We stayed 4 nights during July 2018. Our first room (No 8) was very hot and had no air conditioning. I asked if there were any other cooler rooms available and Rebecca on reception was extremely helpful and moved us across the road to the annexe called Bromley House. This was significantly cooler and suited us as it was adjacent to the car park. There is a good choice of real ale in the bar. The breakfast choice included kippers and poached smoked haddock, both favourites of mine. We would definitely recommend this hotel but I have deducted a star for lack of air conditioning.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roddy H
YelfsHotel, General Manager at Yelf's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2018

Thank you so much for taking time to review your stay at Yelf's Hotel. I am delighted that we were able to meet your needs by relocating you to a cooler room. We try and ensure that we have a varied choice of local ales and other beverages. I will pass on your comments to the kitchen and breakfast team and am sure they will appreciate your candid review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Yelf's again in the future.

Rebecca Scott

Reviewed 23 July 2018

stayed here when working on the island again due to the service I got last time and was not disappointed, the staff yet again were very helpful and friendly the rooms nice and clean, and the food well the food is alway first class with very large helpings, if you’re in the area and need a room you won’t go far wrong, mr Davison

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
3  Thank jim131069
Reviewed 18 July 2018

Offered the choice of the bar menu or Table D'Hote, we chose the latter, and were very pleased with our choice of salmon with wild rice and coriander in a citrus sauce. The service was friendly and helpful, and we complimented the chef for a delicious meal. We ate in the conservatory and enjoyed its ambience.

Room Tip: We ate there but didn't stay there.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank godronb

Thank you for taking time to review your experience in our restaurant. I am delighted that you enjoyed your meal and that we were able to meet/exceed your expectations. I have passed your comments onto the kitchen and restaurant team.

I hope that we can welcome you back to Yelf's Hotel again in the future.