“Fine Food in a Beautiful Location”
Review of Red Lion

Red Lion
Ranked #1 of 22 Restaurants in Freshwater
Price range: US$7 - US$53
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A traditional country pub with flag stone floors and log fire, serving locally sourced food . The pub has its own garden which produces fresh vegetables and herbs all year round. Four real ales are available as well as an extensive wine list.
Reviewed 3 May 2018

I think the Red Lion is one of the most attractive pubs on the Isle of Wight. The location next to the church is just so typically British and the rustic charm inside makes this so outstanding in my opinion.
So, I was really pleased to be over in West Wight with my wife as she has never had the chance to visit before. Fortunately, she was just as impressed as I was!! We decided to stay for lunch. I chose a ploughmans which was fine, three slices of local galleybagger cheese, an apple, a couple of wedges of fresh bread, a small portion of mixed leaves, a pickled onion and a pot of pickle. It was fresh and tasty. I think it could be improved if there were a couple of cheeses to try, but it was exactly as described on the menu and I have no complaints.
My wife chose a pork and black pudding burger off the specials board. I must say that this was an excellent choice. The burger was a great quality and the taste was spot on. It was served with a generous portion of well cooked chips.
We then shared a dessert of white chocolate and baileys bread and butter pudding. At first we were not too sure, but as we ate more of it, the flavours became more apparent and we really enjoyed it. Service was fine and the price was very reasonable, given the quality of the food. It will certainly not be our last visit

1  Thank Isle-o-Wighty

Reviewed 28 April 2018

Warm welcome and lots of specials on the chalk board. The quality of the food was absolutely excellent. My whole plaice was served with three types of fresh veg., new potatoes and a sauce boat of capers, lemon and parsley sauce. WOW! and all for £13. My husband had the pork tenderloin and enjoyed his meal too. The decor was traditional - no muzak - a traditional English pub. We'll be back!

Reviewed 27 April 2018 via mobile

Our dog was made very welcome. The food selection was great with lots of specials. My husband had the pie which he raved about. I had ham, egg and chips which were great. The chips are fabulous!

1  Thank row78
Reviewed 25 April 2018 via mobile

Staying in Freshwater we had previously dined at a another pub before finding the Red Lion. So glad we did while the other pub was okay the Red Lion was excellent. The menu was typical pub food but when it arrived it was restaurant quality. So excellent food, friendly and efficient staff and warm comfortable surroundings. What more could anyone want. So good we are returning tonight for my birthday dinner.

Reviewed 20 April 2018 via mobile

We visited the red lion 3 times during our visit to the Isle of Wight as it was only a 5 minute walk from our accommodation. It has a very welcoming atmosphere and good menu. Food portions were big but very tasty.
Some nice touches around the pub like the “bottom buffer” cushions and spare spectacles in case you forget yours.
Would recommend.