“Drinks at rip off prices - avoid”
Review of Fox & Hounds

Fox & Hounds
Ranked #11 of 51 Restaurants in Lyndhurst
Price range: US$7 - US$27
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Your hunt for the perfect pub ends in Lyndhurst, where the Fox & Hounds serves fantastic cask ales and delicious fresh food from an historic former coaching inn. Sink into a sofa by the fire or bask outside in our glorious sun-trap of a terrace; it’s our very own great outdoors.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Staying in town for a few nights thought I would pop in and take a look at the menu for later reference. Very helpful barman got me a great pint of still cider 4.5ABV. Tasted great - until I realised he was charging me £5.15. A full £2 more than I am used to paying in Weymouth or Wareham. What a greedy rip off.
Maybe the F+H is exclusively aimed at customers of the nearby Maserati dealership, dunno, but I can't afford that sort of price.
As to the menu, pie and mash at £14.50 was another example of why I wont be back with my family later.
To top it off, as I passed my glass back to the bar on the way out I noticed a huge chip out of the rim. Avoid... there are several much less greedy pubs in town !

Hi Geoff B,

Thank you for taking the time to leave some feedback for us.

I'm very sorry you feel this way. As you mentioned, our still 'Cornish orchard's' cider is delicious, along with many other premium products we sell here at the Fox & Hounds. We do try to deliver excellent products which are more premium, along with great service and a fantastic atmosphere within the pub. Overall we believe that this creates value for money in the end after the whole experience due to everything noted above, as do the majority of our expansive range of guests - so I apologise if you didn't think so.

With the pie price - this is similar to above. Our food is cooked fresh with excellent produce delivered with brilliant service. I'm positive if you would have dined with us, I hope you would have thought it would have been worth it.

Regarding the glassware, this obviously should not have been served to you in it, so again, sorry for that. I will make sure our team are checking all glassware as they should prior to serving every drink.

Thank you and I hope if you do visit again you pop in.
Thomas

Write a ReviewReviews (1,033)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This pub is nicely appointed, has friendly staff and is in a prime location in Lyndhurst. Our problem was that they were on a limited menu due to a kitchen refurb and whilst we only wanted a snack lunch and there was still a reasonable choice, our food was slightly underwhelming. Another day and I am sure it would be fine

Hi John S,

Thank you for taking time to leave us some feedback.
Sorry to hear that your recent visit wasn't to standard. Even though we did have a slightly more limited menu, it still should have been better than you experienced in that case, and apologise for that.

I hope you can make it back again to see what it should really be like.

Reviewed 16 April 2018

I have used Fox & Hounds to host my regular 'breakfast' business meeting for nearly 3 years. We love the setting for it's informal, warm, yet professional theme, and cannot fault the staff for their adaptive service. Our guests and new members always comment on how they find the food, 'something to come back for!'

It is also great because members can have lunch and further meetings also.

Thanks Nelson, Thomas and Maria for your continued support.

Hi 1604Sylvia,

Thank you for your kind review.

We're very glad to hear that you enjoy using us for your regular meetings and continue to do so.
Thank you very much, see you soon.

Thomas,

Reviewed 15 April 2018

We had a lunch outside on a sunny day. Nice pub, nice service, tasty food. The falafel burger and chips were excellent. The only big but was that the fennel salad was tasty but only a pile of rocket with a few nuts, the odd bit of veg in a tasty dressing. It was listed as a main course and there was almost no protein and it was not enough to feed anyone. As a side salad it was nice but for £10 or so it was poor. Such a shame as everything else was very good. We told the waiter and he thanked us for letting him know. No offer of extra food, no attempt to make us happier.

Hi Grumpybird9,

Thank you for leaving us some feedback on your visit.

I'm glad to hear that your overall visit was a good one, apart from the small issue with the fennel salad.
Sorry to hear about this and also that the waiter didn't rectify the problem to make it better for you.

I hope you can make it to us again soon and hopefully make it a brilliant experience for you.

Thomas,

Reviewed 13 April 2018 via mobile

My partner and I had a meal here on weekday evening. We hadn't booked but the waitress found us a table easily. The pub had a good atmosphere and the staff were all friendly.
We ordered the pie of the day which was delicious and the puddings were fantastic! Good portions too.
Delicious pub food at reasonable prices, what more could you ask for?

Hi GemRVN,

Thank you for your kind review.

I'm very glad to hear that you had a positive past visit to us. We hope you can make it to us again soon.