All reviews beds were comfortable a bit tired plenty of hot water an evening meal yogurt portsmouth
Reviewed 15 September 2018

The place is dark, dingy and has an ancient carpet on the staircase.
I had the most horrendous experience of their ineptitude in the face of difficulties. I am sure if you just arrive, check in and go out sightseeing all day it wont be so bad, but woe be tide you if you need help. I do not live in the UK and I needed to call an ambulance and asked reception for help. They dialed 111 which is not for ambulance. Delay 1. The receptionist claimed she did not know how to get help quickly.Delay 2. In the end I had to half carry my friend down the stairs alone, even though they said they would help, but never arrived They just watched. We eventually got to A and E and he was admitted immediately to the emergency ward. Be aware - any emergency, you are on your own. No caring attitude at all. My friend was in a single room in an appalling hotel for an hour. Enough time for me to see the shabby, very hot (no fan or air conditioning in July) small room with stained carpet and walls. The carpet on the staircase felt sticky. Apart from the complete lack of help. This hotel just wants to pack people in and attracts them with very carefully taken photos making the rooms look bigger. fresher and lighter than they are, Seriously misleading when you are booking from a distance and don't know this town.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank sem201807
Ben W, General Manager at The Bear Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Reviewed 13 September 2018

Not the best of hotels. Grubby rooms with stains on the carpets and walls as well as a noisy fan outside all night. Shower was not a consistent temperature. Communal areas very dingy. Staff not helpful and quite rude. Plus to top it all the wifi didn't work. Good location (central within a not very pleasant town, which was almost as run down as the hotel). Breakfasts good.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you felt that your stay was not the best. I am glad that you enjoyed the breakfasts.

Reviewed 12 September 2018 via mobile

The smell of an old working men's club mixed with incontinence pads with a waft of damp walls sums up the bear hotel. Decorators calk and silicone apear to hold the bathrooms together. Wifi is non existent and the windows don't seem to shut.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Chris H

Thank you for your response. I am sorry that your stay was below your expectations.

Reviewed 11 September 2018 via mobile

We stayed here over the weekend on which Goodwood Revival took place - rates had obviously been increased four fold with the knowledge that people would be desperate for somewhere local to stay. The small double room me and my boyfriend were subject to was certainly not worth £157 a night - I would rather have stayed in a tent.

As we first opened the door to our room we were hit with an overwhelming smell of sh*t ... great start. We had large windows overlooking the courtyard which we quickly went to shut; along with curtains, to create a little privacy from the large group of people standing outside. Unfortunately the window had dropped and no longer fit the frame so it had to remain open.  Next we noticed several large chunks of dirt and grass on the carpet - I guess the turnover was so quick the cleaners didnt have time to hoover. There was also some nasty stains on the curtains, walls and in the shower which was a little gross - I didn't want to think about what they were from. The bed linen was seemingly clean, which was a relief, but unfortunately when we went to get into bed after a long day we realised that it had a nasty odor- similar to that of a wet dog. On the last day I opened one of the draws with the hope that I would find a hair dryer - instead I found someone's old tupperware. This contained a packet of half used spreadable cheese and some dirty spoons.... I'm not too sure how long that had been there. Nor am I sure what kind people eat spreadable cheese.. straight.. with spoons. Maybe this is the sort of thing your usual guests would do.

On a positive note the staff seemed pleasant.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank eden f
Ben W, General Manager at The Bear Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2018

Thank you for your review. I can only apologise for the less than usual standard that you experienced. I will take your points and deal with them myself - ensuring that standards are raised.

Reviewed 10 September 2018

In dire need of refurbishment! The whole place is seriously outdated and I cannot believe it would pass health and safety standards; threadbare carpet on the stairs, exposed gripper, loose handrail, exposed electrics in the dining room to name but a few. Most Staff friendly but poor service at breakfast which had obviously been cooked for some time and was served lukewarm. Room dark and depressing. Don't stay in rooms at the front where the hotel bar with loud music is used by very noisy locals who seem to roam the streets shouting most of the night. Felt embarrassed that the foreign guests might think this was the usual standard of UK hotels. Cleanliness poor, it takes 10 seconds to clean a light switch! Reception confirmed someone would come in two minutes to retune tv as no bbc but no one showed up so we ended doing it ourselves! Had to clean the remote, which was broken and battery cover missing, as it was so disgusting. My recommendation.... find somewhere else to stay!

Room Tip: Request a room at the back it might be quieter
Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to write a review. I have taken all your comments and have dealt with accordingly.