The Orchards Holiday Park - Haven
PremierInn.com
  • Beachfront
US$83
PremierInn.com
Travelodge Clacton-on-Sea Central(Clacton-on-Sea)(Great Value!)
US$53
Travelodge
All reviewsmash and barrelpapa johnslive loungeprestige caravanspar shopoutdoor poolon sitechinese takeawayferry boat innsea wall walktouring areago kartsnight time entertainmenttake awaytouring wardenevening entertainment was goodnice holiday
Reviewed 10 April 2018

Stayed at The Orchards as part of the Sun caravan offer but we upgraded to one of their prestige caravans given the time of year as we wanted double glazing and heating. We arrived and there was a bit of a queue for check in but this went down quite quickly. Check in was quick even though we asked for a different caravan as the one we had was quite far away from the amenities and was also in the bit of the park that is separated off by the very shabby and depressing looking residential area - which makes it definitely a park of 2 halves! The lady spoke to a couple of colleagues and moved us without any fuss which was great and we were so pleased we did as we really wouldn't have wanted to stay in the caravan in our original position. The park is well signposted but we still managed to get a bit lost finding our caravan as it's a fairly big park. Caravan was in The Hollows which is at the end by the touring site so was quite peaceful and didn't feel too hemmed in. The Caravan looked very new and had everything we could have wanted - a big TV, fire, dishwasher, bedroom with en suite toilet and of course the heating (which was great but couldn't work out how to turn it down when it got too hot!). The smaller bedroom beds were quite small and seemed smaller than previous ones and the bed covers kept falling off because they were too big for the beds! At night we were disturbed by late night revellers coming back, there did seem to be a problem with people not being aware of their noise levels and shouting at the top of their voices - a bit more consideration would have been good. The swimming pool wasn't the biggest but certainly wasn't the smallest as well and was operating a session and wristband system but we went for the 9.30am session every day and got in. If you couldn't get in you could go an hour before the session and collect your wristband and come back. There were people complaining about this but not sure if there is another way this can fairly work. The pool doesn't really have any bells and whistles but everybody seemed to enjoy it and the lifeguards were very vigilant. You also book the activities at the swimming pool reception this could mean it would be chaotic at times as they only had one computer to book on and so on Saturday morning we had to wait about 20 minutes to book the activities and then most of those were sold out (partly our fault for not being organised and buying the activitiy bundle in advance). Perhaps there should be a dedicated activity booking desk or something to ease this. We found all the staff very friendly and helpful - the swimming pool stuff, the rangers, security etc we didn't encounter any rude staff members. We ate in both the Mash and Barrel and Papa John's and were pretty impressed by both - the Mash and Barrel had a decent menu but we did have to wait quite a long time for our food in a not very busy restaurant. We ordered Papa John's to eat in the entertainment area and this took about 20 minutes before it was ready but again not a huge issue. The entertainment area is large but still not big enough for the size of the park so on Friday and Saturday we had to search for seats and finally found some - the Sunday night it was easier. There was quite a bit of reserving tables going on and seats being reserved but not used. Also there was always discarded pizza boxes and crisps over the floor and quite a bit of rubbish left on the tables so sometimes it made it look unappealing. Security is tight so you need to carry your passes around I think this put some people off but I didn't mind to see them around - at least you knew they were there for any issues. The arcade was large much bigger than other parks we have been to and we didn't have any issues and the 9 year old was very happy with her 916 tickets at the end of the weekend! The shop is very well stocked - you could eat from here every lunch and dinner for the week if you wanted so don't panic if you have forgotten those essential items! The 9 year old did the Archery (she enjoyed and the instructor was very patient and made it fun) and the Pool Party (disappointing as it's just an inflatable obstacle course no music which she wanted and as she was on her own and you did the course in pairs it got quite boring for her) and the Survival Bracelet (she was very tired so didn't have the patience but the ranger was very good and helped and finished it off for her!). We had wanted to do the Segways but they didn't have any space. The entertainment staff did a great job and for once it wasn't the same thing every night which made a refreshing change. The location of the park is good - you are about 10/15 minutes drive from Clacton but you have a great sea wall walk on the park with views over the Estuary. The thing that lets this park down and can cloud your judgement is the very unslightly residential complex and Chinese Takeaway and the building advertising the pub. It splits the park in two - this is such a shame.I would recommend this park to people it had a 'Butlins' feel about it rather than a quaint caravan park so you always felt there was something to do. We would definitely go back - hopefully in the summer so we can enjoy the surroundings a bit more and the outdoor pool!

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank kcrookers
Orchards H, Manager at The Orchards Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2018

Hello kcrookers

Thank you for taking the time to review The Orchards Holiday Village.

It was nice to hear that you experienced a fast and easy check in, and that you able to move to a caravan closer to the facilities.

The Hollows area is a lovely calming area which is still close enough to walk back to the complex area.

I am sorry you experienced some late-night noise, our Security team are available 24 hours a day, for any matter big or small. There number can be found on your key, our map and our welcome booklet that you are given when you check in.

It was nice to hear you were happy with the band system we put in over Easter on the Swimming Pool, we found this the fairest way to allow everyone to swim and the pool to be used to its maximum occupancy.

I have passed your feedback over to our Complex Manager regarding The Live Lounge.

I hope we will be able to welcome your back to The Orchards Holiday Village soon.

Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

I recently visited this orchards haven site in clacton on Easter holiday - we arrived and the queue for reception was out the door (literally) after 20 mins we was seen too and checked in - we got directed to our caravan and arrived there to see a brand new caravan for us and was pleased - we walked in and everything was so modern and lovely - our first evening we went to the complex where everything is situated to meet pass-checkers actually doing they’re job properly - and went in to the live lounge and had a nice evening

2nd day in and we went to the mash for breakky and it was alright - I left my kids to go to the park alone whilst me and my wife had some alone time with a drink - both my kids ran into us saying how they got bullied at the park ... so I went and found a lovely security staff member called Chaz ... we explained what happened to him and he went with us to the park and spoke to both my kids and the kids who bullied them and explained in a nice manner how they should all play together and be nice to each other and I felt pleased he took the time to do so .. and dealt with the situation professionally - he then took the time to talk to us as a family and explained everything on site to us about the amenities as we wanted to plan the week ahead

Later that evening we returned to the live lounge to enjoy our evening and enjoy our evening where once again it was a alright evening bit noisy but nothing major - I could go on and on but overall orchards in a whole is as followed - food was lovely aswell from mash and papa johns and Chinese

1) reception 8/10
2) staff over site (cleaners, bar, accommodation, maintenance 8/10
3) amenities 9/10
4) caravan 10/10
5) security 10/10 -they all work hard as they can & big thank you once again to Chaz for looking after us throughout our stay

Orchards we shall be back thank you very much and we as a family want to say a big thank you - everyone works as hard as they can to make guests and owners welcome as possible

Good Morning samsung5677

Thank you very much for your review of The Orchards Holiday Village.

I am extremely pleased you were happy with the caravan you were allocated and the quick check, despite how busy we were.

I am sorry to hear your children were bullied in the Play area, and I hope they are ok. I have passed you lovely comments over to Chaz, who was most pleased. We certainly try to deal with any bad behaviour as soon as possible and in a professional manner.

We were very busy over the Easter period, but I am glad you’re still enjoyed your time with us even if The Live Lounge was a little noisy.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Orchards Holiday Village soon.

Reviewed 9 April 2018

Appalling, still on site for another five days, can not go back in that arcade with the way the manageress talks to the public she just hasn't got a clue on how to run an arcade, you have staff going round not knowing what they are doing "I can't do that I have to go ask someone else" the change machines have been running out of money 2 weeks in a row with no money to fill them, machines have been switched off because there isn't any money to fill them, they have bells dotted around the arcade for if there is something wrong with a machine someone eventually comes if you want to stand around waiting for between 30-50 minutes. As for the prize shop I have seen better quality products at a jumble sale, teenagers sitting all over the machines which is a bit intimidating when there are 10-15 sitting around near the over 18s swearing and throwing things around, kids are in and out of the over 18s constantly, the way the machines are set out you can not move around which causes bottle necks. I don't really know what's going on as been there for the last 2 years and its never been like this.

Stayed: April 2018
5  Thank Bemine12017
Orchards H, Manager at The Orchards Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Hi Bemine12017

Thank you for your review of The Orchards.

I am sorry on this occasion you have encountered issues while on site.

Our arcade is run by an external company and it is clear we have not meet your expectations. Please be assured that this issue will be dealt with and we will be speaking to the manager of the Arcade.

I have also spoken to the security team regarding the children in the over 18’s area and they will be keeping a closer eye on the area.

I do hope despite your current disappointment that we will be able to welcome you back to Haven in the future.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

I arrived at reception and the lady who served me was blunt and didn’t seem to willing to help / the live lounge is a alright place was a little packed and my caravan was a nice deluxe one - we met a lovely security guy who is called Chaz - he went the extra mile by taking us to our caravan because we had so much luggage he helped us get there - he went the extra mile for my daughter and he is a lovely chap and friendly and interested in making the customers who stay there happy - he explained where everything is and made us feel welcome - mash n barrel was cramped due to Easter - overall orchards is a nice site and shall return in the future

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Good Afternoon
Thank you for taking the time to review The Orchards Holiday Village.
I am sorry that you felt that the reception team member you encountered was blunt, it is our aim to be welcoming to all guests, your feedback has been passed over to the Holiday Experience Manager.
It was nice to hear that you were happy with your accommodation.
I have passed your lovely feedback over to Chaz, who was extremely pleased to hear that you were happy with the service he provided for you, going the extra mile.

Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

Omg the lady with the pink hair was so rude, on 1/4/18 evening. she shouldn’t be working with the public let alone serving children.
At the till she was so hostile, unhelpful and NOT polite to children. She looked like she was chewing wasps and never cracked a smile.
Wrong job for her totally!

Hi Eon76
Thank you for your review of The Orchards.
I am sorry to hear that a team member was rude and unhelpful. I have highlighted this with our complex manager so this can be dealt with appropriately.
I do hope that despite your currant disappointment we will be able to welcome you back.