Don't normally leave reviews, but in this case I felt I had to. We stayed at Blo Norton hall and it was amazing. The grandchildren had a fantastic time exploring the grounds. The housekeeper made us feel most welcome on our meet and greet. Have already booked for next year....Can't wait...
Hired Blo Norton Hall for a weekend along with the barns for our mums 60th Birthday. All guests loved the house, although there at times were 35 of us we never got under each others feet. The problems reported by previous guests were not evident, the Hall and Barns were spotless, there were no fly issues or hornets visiting or any more than you would expect on a farm and the staff couldn't of been more helpful. Our Mum stayed here before some years ago and was so happy to be back. Would definitely recommend the Hall and the barns, for anyone wanting a relaxing weekend or week with your family and friends. Oh and we also hired a caterer who came to the Hall, prepared our menus, supplied waiters for serving and cleared up after our meal, was a superb way to spend your evening, although very hot we still had the big fires going in the main Dining room. Dont miss out and take no notice of previous reviews!
Our party of 10 adults and 5 children were celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary for the weekend from August 31st. I’m sorry I have to agree on some of the things the previous person spoke about.
Blo Norton hall is a magnificent place but really does need attention..
Being very old I didn’t expect it to be a palace but there are things that need sorting out. We had hornets everywhere that we had to keep catching especially in the evening, so that had not been sorted out. Our grandson saw a mouse running up the stairs which frightened him and he didn’t want to go to bed. There was a set mousetrap behind a curtain that if a child had found it could have caused a problem. Mice had eaten some of our bread rolls. The garden was in a sorry state. The grass was so long the children couldn’t play on it and there were mole hills everywhere.
We used the barbecue but couldn’t clean it because there wasn’t anything to clean it with. The sinks were quite grubby and could have done with some bleach to clean them. The dustbin was completely full up from other people’s rubbish and was told it only goes once a fortnight so might be a good idea to get another bin.
This is the first time I’ve ever complained on trip advisor, I don’t usually say anything bad as everybody’s idea of a place differs.
, but I did feel it had a tired look for the amount of money we paid, and it does need a bit of TLC.
Luckily our party were very easy going so the problems didn’t bother us but I feel I should tell other people of our experience.
I certainly don’t want compensation but I don’t think I would book it again.. I don’t mind a place being old but not dirty.
We did have a great time though as the company was great and that’s what matters
All the points made below have been reported to the owners who have responded positively and may well have dealt with many of them. However we had a disappointing family weekend. The Hall has vast potential , it is charming, quirky and atmospheric, however it currently feels a bit unloved and in need of more attention to detail. Our main concerns were:
• The level of cleanliness is inadequate. On first inspection it seems OK but as soon as you need to look under furniture as we did when trying to sort out the hornet infestation and in hiding clues for a treasure hunt there are lots of cobwebs and grime. The Hall is overdue for a deep clean.
• The garden and drive are overgrown. The initial impression of the Hall is dark and dismal as the drive is overgrown and dark, you cannot drive down it without your vehicle touching the bushes on either side of the drive. We were expecting a garden we could sit out in and play games, despite the drought for several weeks beforehand the grass was long and the bushes had grown so it was not possible to walk between them without getting wet or dirty.
• The details say there are 2 gas barbeques and a coal barbeque, there is no coal barbeque, both gas barbeques were filthy and only one had any gas. We found spare gas bottles but they were chained up.
• We had a hornet infestation (each about 1.5 inches). Worst affected was the Ghost Room where the occupants had to move out on the Friday night. Maintenance responded very quickly but there were still lots around the Hall for the rest of the stay. The problem seems much worse at night and I suspect it is the light that attracts them.
• We noticed many of the plates were dirty and discovered this was because neither of the dishwashers was working properly, the one at the far end of the kitchen is much the worse of the two. We rewashed most of them by hand.
• Three of our party reported being bitten by bed bugs, the couple in the bedroom on the second floor and one of the couple in bedroom 1.
An absolutely amazing place. We were a group of 10 adults, 5 children & a baby & there was more than enough room for us all. Well equipped, we cooked a roast dinner for all & sat round the huge dining room table. The children had a great time playing hide & seek & running round the garden, watch though as there are an open water feature & a pond. The house is lovely & warm & fire places in the sitting room & dining room for an open fire with some logs provided. Said to be haunted & enough squeaky floor boards & sloping floors to keep most under the duvets at night! The only down side was the long drive down to the hall needs maintenance, our car is reasonably high & even driven carefully it caught the underside, has had to be booked in to be checked.