All reviews full english lovely room mid week nice stay plenty of hot water lady on reception midnight pubs saturday
Reviewed 4 November 2017

Stayed for a couple of nights and originally booked a twin bed room but were given a triple bed room at no extra cost at the front of the hotel so lots of extra room. The hotel is situated more or less in the centre of Baldock. Breakfast was plentiful, cereals and full English etc. We are veggie but there was plenty to choose from to eat. Staff we met were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 November 2017

We stayed here for two nights in July, it was my husband and I so we had a double room.
One side of the room had boxed in pipes so the ceiling was very low that side of the room, every time my husband went to get in or out of bed he hit his head.
On a plus we arrived a couple of hours early and we were able to check in no problem, our room overlooked the courtyard and was very dark.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2017

I experienced the smallest hand basin in the en suite that I have ever encountered in any hotel room anywhere and I have travelled quite considerably in the UK and overseas.
In conjunction with the tap, it meant washing your face was virtually impossible! The room itself was fine.

Room Tip: Keep a lookout of the dining room window facing the grassed area for Black Squirrels!
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

I recently stayed in the Templars and we arrived earlier than the time stated, but we were allowed to check in, although we did have to wait for someone to do this as they were serving behind the bar. After a 3.5 hour car journey we were happy to be able to check in. We were allocated a room and struggled to open the door until a member of staff assisted us. Room was fine, albeit slightly dated. We went out for the day and returned to the hotel about 9pm to a disco in full swing in the back room. This had been advertised on a board outside the hotel but we didn’t pay it much notice. The music and the DJ had me slightly worried, from judging how loud it was I knew getting an early night would be impossible. I spoke to a lady behind the bar and asked if there were other rooms and was told even though they were fully booked, she would ask a guest from another room if they would swap, which I declined. We went up to the room about 10pm and it was as bad as I feared, the bed may as well have been in the middle of the dancefloor. The disco was due to finish at midnight which meant I had 2 hours of music and the DJ using the mic before I could sleep. I decided to watch TV however after spending time trying to fix the ‘broken’ remote, discovered the reason I couldn’t change channel was because there was only one channel available. The disco did finish at midnight and I was able to get some sleep. Breakfast the next day was fine and quite nice, although you do have to make your own toast. So you can either make it before the breakfast comes and let the toast go cold, or make it after and let the breakfast go cold. The only milk available for tea was the cereal milk which flooded my small cup when it was poured out. We returned to the hotel about 1130pm and had another difficult sleep. The duvet in this room was extremely lumpy and uncomfortable and quite hot for the summer months, however the fan in the room was a welcome addition. I’ll also point out the hairdryer in the room is very small and dated and is attached to a base unit which swings about unnecessarily when using it! We went down a bit later to breakfast and was informed that a staff member had not arrived and they were also serving breakfast to guests of The George where the chef had not turned up there either. There were no cups left, no glasses, no tables laid and no milk (however I had brought my own milk down from the room due to the previous experience). Bearing all this in mind, the lady serving us (the same from behind the bar on the first night) couldn’t have been more attentive to us, and brought us everything we needed. Breakfast was delicious and tasted quite fresh. I would have given my experience a 3/5 overall however the disco has forced me to give it a 2. Discos are fine in a club but not a hotel – it’s baffling to understand why it was organised in the first place, especially with the hotel only being quite small. With no pre-warning of this when we booked the hotel, I would be hesitant to book here to stay again.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

Room rather small you could just about swing a cat in it... we stayed on a Saturday night as attended a party in town, ok for one night stay. Hotel a little tatty inside on parts, many walls look like been touching up ready to paint and not complete. Bathroom ok ish! needs deep clean, could do with changing light pull was disgusting (though my boyfriend wasn't fussed). Staff friendly enough, wasn't told front door of the hotel would be locked, arrived back around 11pm and couldn't see night porter eventually he appeared and let us in. Room includes breakfast which was sufficient. Overall average stay.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple