All reviews afternoon tea scones upgraded to a suite full english wedding venue large room meal martina gun castle derby midlands
Reviewed 24 September 2018

We visited end August for lunch with my husband’s aunt to celebrate her 90th birthday. On arrival, we had a very lukewarm reception and were seated in the dining room. We had a very pleasant lunch but the receptionist serving us was not terribly friendly and drinks came with no ice or having been asked if we wanted any. Food very much the same way.

Lunch was tasty but unfortunately mine was lukewarm - like an egg benedict but not called one. Sad as the flavours were lovely.

We had stayed here many years ago and felt it had gone downhill massively since then which was a pity. If we had been on our own we would have said something but did not want to spoil the birthday celebrations.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
FinesseCollection, General Manager at Donington Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2018

Hello Sarah,
Thankyou for leaving us your review on your recent visit to The Manor.
We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit to us, and we have noted your feedback to look into this circumstance further.
We hope you join us again for future celebrations.

For any further questions or queries about our service, please do not hesitate to get in contact directly to myself, Sven Nel, General Manager.

Reviewed 20 September 2018

I was shocked to read the reports from people who have stayed recently at the Donington Manor Hotel, I would have to disagree with their comments.
This is a well established property, I have stayed at this Hotel on quite a few occasions and found the staff to be very professional and polite, the food was very good and my room was very satisfactory, in all I had a very enjoyable stay

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank davidhall788
FinesseCollection, General Manager at Donington Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2018

Hello David,
Thankyou very much for your kind review about Donington Manor Hotel!
Here at The Manor, we aim to warmly welcome every visitor to make their stay the best possible.
I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us, on numerous occasions, and wish for it to continue.
We have some exclusive new offers at the hotel for the coming months, so please feel free to take advantage and come visit!

For any further questions or queries about our service, please do not hesitate to get in contact myself, Sven Nel, General Manager.

Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

I can’t believe this place is still open , we were a party of ten people , travelling a long way for a 60th birthday celebration . On arrival it was quite chaotic , one of our friends rooms wasn’t even ready , we all booked double rooms , and another was put into a single occupancy , the rooms were full if damp and mould really tired and need of some tlc. Only one towel in the room and no hot water , there was a wedding party there so it was really busy , we got offered complimentary drinks because the room wasn’t ready but there was only one lady behind the bar so it took so long to even order a drink , she then told us it was her first shift working there, poor girl it was terrible to see her struggle,
We all decided we wasn’t happy there so we got reallocated to a different hotel which the receptionist said they would cover all costs , but no that didn’t happen , it was just a pure and utter shambles , ruined our night . And will never stay there , which is such a shame the building looks beautiful. Full of character, but it is absolutely awful inside . And so was the service and how they treated us . Now I’ve been told we can have a 20% refund back , what a joke , as one of the couples had a full refund . I had to accept our 20% but I am going to take this further .

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Carol U
FinesseCollection, General Manager at Donington Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2018

Hello Carol,
Thankyou for leaving your review.
I have now started discussing all options with all your group and have made contact with some, please don’t hesitate to contact me here, so that we can come to an amicable agreement.
We have noted your complaint and will aim to tackle this situation to prevent it reoccurring in the future.

Reviewed 13 September 2018 via mobile

Booked this hotel as it is close to the airport, we requested a taxi with reception for 4:15, my husband confirmed the booking just before we retired for the evening. We had no sleep at all that evening as the hotel had put us in a room directly above the wedding party totally not acceptable. On departure we discovered the taxi has not been booked causing us to be late for our flight.
This hotel is so unorganized I certainly will not be staying here again and it's certainly is not worth a rating.... it's a big fat zero for me

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrea W

Hello Andrea,
Thankyou for leaving us your review on your recent stay with us here at The Manor.
Having discussed this with you in person once again my sincerest apologies and thank you for accepting my offer.
Here at Donington Manor, we aim to welcome our guests and cater for their needs to make sure they have the best stay possible.
We will look into the Taxi situation further, and make sure this type of occurrence does not happen again.

Reviewed 13 September 2018

Very disappointing experience, we had booked a twin room for an overnight stay ready to visit the nearby Donington Park Race Track.

On arrival we were met by the receptionist who suggested that I pay for the room before even getting to the room…wish I had not been so happy to comply.

I was charged £79 which was the rate quoted when I booked the accommodation. In the bedroom they had a brochure that stated that any overnight stays in August and September would be charged at a rate of £69. I spoke with three different reception staff asking about the additional charge I had paid, none were able to offer any explanation but two promised to pass my complaint to the manager who would get in contact with me … four days later and I am still waiting and frankly not expecting any response unless it is to this review!

As for the room, it was reasonably sized but had very tired decorations with curtains that were hanging off the curtain pole, fittings in both bathroom and bedroom were loose or broken, the sink plug was attached by a piece of string! And unhelpfully a sign in the bathroom stated the shower had No Hot Water and had been disconnected - now I understand why they wanted me to pay up front

Small TV screen that only connects to terrestrial TV with really poor picture quality.

Worse was to come, on arrival I had been asked if we were part of the wedding reception being held that weekend, I advised we were not.

This did not stop them from putting us in a bedroom immediately above the reception room where we were able to hear everything that was being said and the really loud music that was played until late. I did not complain because it was not the wedding parties’ fault that we had been put in this room and having already complained about the price I doubted that there would be a positive response.

On arrival on the Saturday evening, I had been told breakfast is served from 07.30, having managed to get to get quite a good night’s sleep, but with no shower we got to the breakfast room at 7.40 along with a few other guests.

The staff on duty had no idea what was happening, they were unable to open the coffee jugs to pour hot coffee, tables had clothes on but no cutlery or crockery – clearly guests are expected to lay the tables themselves.

Had to ask for glasses to pour orange juice into, other guests asked for porridge only to be told the hotel had run out. When the cooked breakfast arrived – minus any eggs – perhaps they had run out as well, the bacon was tough, food looked and tasted as if it was all ‘Value Brand’

All in all, a very unpleasant experience, the one star is awarded for the young staff that were on duty who were polite and tried to help but clearly have very little management support.

Ghastly experience and one that I will be happy to share with colleagues in the area to make sure they stay away.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Andrew L

Hello Andrew,
Thankyou for leaving us your feedback on your recent stay to Donington Manor Hotel.
Please would you be able to email me directly whereby we can discuss your stay and get this resolved asap
I look forward to hearing from you
Here at The Manor, we aim to make all of our guests feel important and welcomed.
We have noted your review and will look into this further, to prevent any further occurrences.