Open today: 9:00 AM - 7:30 PM
Review Highlights
Fabulous!

Fabulous! Lovely little walk not too long. We all enjoyed it and very picturesque. Park at Dovedale... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Jayne200047
Suffolk, United Kingdom
via mobile
A favourite walk

Dovedale is one of our favourite Peak District walks, have walked many variations of the dale over... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
BrianEFC
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom

1,749 results
All reviews thorpe cloud the river stepping stones car park lovely walk national trust peak district beautiful place lovers leap ice cream dove dale natural beauty ilam park stunning views dog owners walking boots bank holiday
Selected filters
Reviewed 10 June 2021 via mobile

Dovedale is a beautiful place. We walked from Ilam along through the valley to reach the stepping stones which was a lovely scenic walk. Unfortunately Dovedale is a victim of its own success, too many people not caring about the environment/the rules/others. There's meant to be a one way system but no one was following it, meaning we didn't actually get to go on the stepping stones at all.

If you're going to visit Dovedale I'd suggest to get there very early or visit mid-week outside of the school holidays.

Reviewed 10 June 2021

There is a sign at the start of the dovedale walk that says no litter, no camping, and keep dogs on leads. The national trust appears to do absolutely nothing to ensure that those things happen. We started our walk at 1000 hrs and the amount of litter was appalling. We passed by people camping along the river, and during the walk met packs of dogs with not a lead in sight. I personally would suggest starting your walk at Milldale, and turning back at the halfway point. That will mean you don’t have to put up with the vast number of people who come up from the main dovedale car park carrying immense bags of food, carpets, hookahs, etc for their picnics.

Date of experience: June 2021
2  Thank jamesbA5277PE
Reviewed 6 June 2021 via mobile

What a beautiful find. We were visiting alton towers and had the next day free so we visited with friends. Absolutely beautiful even though there were
Many people there we had a lovely time and found a nice quiet area to sit. The river is great for kids to splash around. The car park is £5 all day and there are toilets and an ice cream cafe.
It's a short walk to the stepping stones and they are fun to cross. Great day had by all

Date of experience: June 2021
Reviewed 5 June 2021

What a beautiful place to visit. Tip, dont go on any public holiday, especially if the weather is good. Being partially disabled I cant walk far in one go, took me 30 mins to walk from the car park to the stepping stones, but worth it. My wife ventured accross, but there are some ignorant people about, I wanted a photo of my wife, but a younger couple with a child wouldn't wait and very nearly pushed my wife into the water. It would be nice to see some benches along the walk to the stepping stones for those of us who are not so energetic. I thought the parking fee of £3.50 for 4 hours was a little excesive, also do not forget your 20p's for the use of the toilets. There is also an on-site snack shop selling ice creams, crisps etc.

Reviewed 5 June 2021

Dovedale near Ashbourne in England's Peak District really is stunning. It has it all, the lovely River Dove, woodland, rock formations, fossils, sweeping pastures and dales, high viewpoints, timber bridges, stepping stones and even caves and natural arches. There are plenty of great hiking routes (we did Dovedale and Ilam via Hall Dale) which is a 6 mile hike and added an extra couple of miles by doing the climb up to the top of Thorpe Cloud and Reynards Cave / Arch as well. We went on the end of May Bank Holiday weekend when the weather was glorious and so I suppose that I shouldn't have been surprised when it was unpleasantly busy. There were long lines of cars queuing down the single track road to the main Dovedale Car Park and hoards of people everywhere. So many that you could not even cross the River on the famous stepping stones in the reverse direction and the line of people waiting to get from the Car Park to Bunster Hill side of the River Dove was relentless. Once you got a few miles away from the main Dovedale oasis the crowds died off a bit and the hiking was pleasant. The going is moderate (strenuous if you go up Thorpe Cloud) but sensible walking attire is needed. Also if you take the short detour to go visit Reynards Cave and Arch then this is only advised for the very fit and sure footed as it is loose and slippery under foot and many would class it as dangerous. The wooden bridge at Ilam Rock is lovely and the village if Ilam itself, (and the bridge over the River Manifold), is picturesque to say the least. As it was so busy we did not park in the main Dovedale Car Park but parked in another bespoke 'Farmers Field' Car Park on the road in from Ashbourne, opposite Thorpe Cloud. Parking here was £3 for the day, cheaper also than the main Car Park where I think it is £5 for the day.
In summary Dovedale is gorgeous, just pick a day at a time of the year where there are not 50 coach loads of people trying to enjoy it at the same time!! If you want a good detailed map for the hike I can recommend OS Explorer Map OL24