“Prime village location, peaceful, pretty...”
The comfortable lounge has a riverside balcony
The balcony is a great place to relax and unwind The kitchen is well equipped
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
The comfortable lounge has a riverside balcony
The balcony is a great place to relax and unwind
The kitchen is well equipped
The dining area leads off the kitchen
upstairs bathroom
master bedroom
master bedroom
Master bedroom
single bedroom
single bedroom
A River Runs By - overlooks the River Gowan
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Anna B
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Prime village location, peaceful, pretty, comfortable, well equipped. River a bonus!”
Reviewed 6 October 2014 for a stay in September 2014

The cottage was balm to our soul and really just what we had hoped for. Plenty of space for the three of us (me, husband and mum), cosy lounge with comfy seats and stairs not too steep. Great to get out on the balcony in the early morning and listen to the birds or watch the fish darting about in the river. So much to appreciate from the cottage; the view over the river which provided us with sights of crayfish, heron and a streak of blue (possibly a kingfisher?). Excellent facilities overall, so we were able to dine in every night and we used the washing machine a couple of times. Jigsaws and games kept us entertained, as well as the TV/DVD player! Great shower downstairs - meant we didn't really need to use the bath on the first floor at all. Very good heating system, with hot water on demand when needed.

We were very impressed with Staveley itself, enjoying the shops at Staveley Mill (had a chat with Camilla in 'The Onion', loved the artisan bread and Hawkshead brews). So everything we needed was just within a few strides of the front door. We didn't have to go far from the doorstep on most of the days, although took a trip from Staveley into Windermere on the train just for the novelty of being able to do so! We used our mountain bikes to cycle the bridle paths around the 'Kentmere Loop' and on another day walked up Reston Scar and roundabouts. We managed to get to Haweswater on the best weather-day of the week (bright sunshine all day) and were really able to appreciate the retreat of the waterline revealing the lost Mardale village, before climbing up to High Street over Long Stile and back down from Harter Fell.

We really appreciated the cakes left to us by Helen, who happened to be staying the week before our arrival (lucky us!) and I used one of the free postcards of Staveley, which I believe Helen produced herself.

So Staveley and the cottage will definitely be on our 'visit again' list. Great value, very cosy, but plenty of space, excellent facilities, wonderful views and very convenient for the village shops and public transport. I don't think anyone can ask for much more! Thank you so much Helen and I hope we left the cottage in a reasonable state for the next visitors, so that you'll be happy for us to visit again in the future.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Riverside location in the heart of the village
Travelling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway Older travelers
10 Oct 2014
I am so pleased that you had such a great stay. My hope is always that guests will love the cottage and the village (almost/at least as much) as much as I do – and it seems you do! :-)

I am glad you were able to enjoy the balcony (when I am at the cottage I eat out on the balcony whenever the weather allows – which included New Year’s Day this year !) and found there’s plenty to do indoors as well. I change/add to some of the general books/games/jigsaws once or twice a year to help maintain interest for guests who choose to return and have added some new walk and cycle books and maps this year as well.
Delighted you found everything you needed was just within a few strides of the front door.

I am glad you enjoyed the cakes – though perhaps need to make clear to others that, alas, these aren’t a regular part of the ‘welcome pack’ I wish they were- and if I lived locally they would be! I had, though, been at the cottage the week before and held a charity coffee morning at the barbers/hairdressers and the ‘surplus’ went to my guest/my neighbours (who are lovely) and to support the local community.

I am so pleased you like the village. It is a ‘real’ village; there is a butcher and a baker – no candlestick maker (as far as I know) but a post office, two pubs, two cafes, a pharmacy, a convenience store and more….
As you found, you don’t have to venture far (and can anyway do this by public transport) to explore the Lakes. Windermere is, for many, within in walking distance along the Dales Way (6ish miles) with return options by bus or train. Reston Scar (the view from the main bedroom) affords lovely views and is a (relatively) modest climb. And you mention High Street. I am not sure I have done your route – but I do know that the views from High Street are on my all-time favourite list.

You covered a lot in your week; and this is not uncommon among guests. I am delighted you had such a great stay and could be equally delighted to welcome you again
roberta00
Otley, United Kingdom
“Perfect place to relax”
Reviewed 14 September 2014 for a stay in September 2014

A River Runs By is a small, but very pleasant holiday cottage to stay in, and the River Gowan running by below the cottage is wonderful. The wildlife to view from the balcony is fantastic and the gentle noise of the river at every time of day and night is very soothing, The property itself is full of little details which show that the owner likes to make the visitors feel very welcome, and has everything anyone should need. We shall certainly return, for we left feeling most relaxed!
Stavely itself is a lovely village with good public transport, good restaurants, good local shops and an excellent butchers,and very friendly people in the shops and within the village.

30 Sep 2014
Thank you. I am glad you had such a lovely and restful stay. And that you found the village both welcoming and conveniently situated. I wasn't quite as lucky as you were in terms of wildlife when I visited last week - I had plenty of visits from the heron and ducks, an unidentified bird of prey but no dippers or kingfisher. Next time perhaps ! And. of course, I would be delighted to welcome you back to the cottage.
Laurie360
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Best self catering cottage we have stayed in.”
Reviewed 24 July 2014 for a stay in July 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed a weeks stay in 'A River Runs by' in July 2014. We were really impressed with the cottage and all of its facilities. It is in a beautiful location in the town of Staveley with a lovely cafe, local artisan bakery, nearby butchers and fantastic Indian restaurant! It is really well supplied with kitchen items and books, DVD's, maps etc. Even the small details have been considered e.g. torch, map holder etc for guests to borrow. The cottage is really beautiful. The bedrooms are both lovely and there is lots of storage space available for guests. The 2 bathrooms are fantastic with an amazing shower and a separate bath to relax in. The kitchen and lounge are both decorated really nicely and make it a lovely cottage to relax in. The real highlight to the cottage is the balcony over the river. It isn't overlooked and so you can completely relax whilst listening to the river flow under you. It is lovely that when you open any window in the cottage you can hear the river gurgling along.
Staveley is really close to Windermere, Kendal and Ambleside which makes it really convenient for exploring this area of the Lake district. There is loads to do around here.
We would highly recommend this cottage to any of our friends and family.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The balcony over the river.
Liked least: Nothing.
Your age range 25-34
Families with young children
26 Jul 2014
Thank you so much for your comments. I am glad you loved the cottage (almost as much as I do it seems!) and found it so relaxing and such a good base from which to explore this part of the Lakes. Like you, I love just sitting and listening (or going to sleep to) the river - and watching the local wildlife. I do try to make it a 'home from home ' - I know how precious holidays are. I hope to welcome you back in the future.
Chris C
“Fantastic holiday cottage with tons to do locally”
Reviewed 11 July 2014 for a stay in June 2014

We booked a last minute stay at the river runs by and had an awesome time. The cottage provides everything you need for a relaxing stay, and there is so much to do in the local area. Within a minutes walk of the cottage there is a butchers, bakers and a local brewery as well as an Indian restaurant which was excellent. The local scenery is stunning and Staveley is well placed to visit many of the Lakes attractions and walks.

We will be back!

Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: Everything!
Liked least: That we had to leave...
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
26 Jul 2014
Delighted that you had such a good stay and enjoyed all the village has to offer. I will be taking some new walk books up next month so there will be plenty of new walks to try when you next visit!
Liverpool
Reviewed 16 April 2014 for a stay in March 2014

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
A romantic getaway Older travelers
16 Apr 2014
Thank you for your feedback - I am delighted you like the cottage so much and look forward to welcoming you back :-)
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing