4,588 results
All reviews preferred club seaside grill market cafe el patio sea turtles pool concierge coco cafe preferred room tropical view room service unlimited vacation club escargot mexican chocolate secrets property entertainment staff secret box pool basketball
Reviewed 3 May 2018

My wife and I stayed at Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya from 4/21/18 through 4/28/18. This was our third experience with Caribbean all-inclusive resorts, and we agree that Secrets Akumal was the best of the three.

For negatives, I really have to reach to find anything at all, but I will say that the room they have for the theater and some entertainment acts is surprisingly unpleasant with harsh lighting, bare walls and uncomfortable seats. Everything else about this resort is stellar, and one bad venue does not cost them a star.

Rooms
This Secrets is relatively new, and that’s noticeable in the well-appointed rooms. The layout of our junior suite was clever and, with high ceilings, felt spacious, as did the tub and shower. The air conditioner was reliable and not noisy. The tv was at least 48”, and the jacuzzi easily fit two. The rainhead shower was paired with a separate hand-shower, the closet and cabinets easily accommodated all of our things. Secrets does not skimp on the details, either. My wife started trying to find their lighting fixtures, planters and dishes online while we were there. Everything was stylish and beautiful with that distinct sensation of opulence that you get when high-end fixtures and furniture are choreographed by a real designer. Their vanity set is comprehensive; you’ll find everything you expect to find plus razor, toothbrush, toothpaste, sunscreen, bug spray… If you think they left something out, look again. It’s probably there. The king-sized mattress is really a king-sized mattress, nice and firm. There are multiple room services during the day to clean, replenish, and turn-down in the evening.

Preferred Club
We paid a little extra for “preferred club” status, and it was worthwhile. I think it got us closer to the beach, and the preferred club itself is quite nice at this Secrets. The lounge is spacious, contemporary, also very nicely-appointed, and what passes for bar snacks at this Secrets is a mouth-watering assortment of beautifully plated local delicacies, both hot and cold. You really have to exercise restraint in there with regard to the premium liquors and the food, or you’ll never leave.

Staff
Secrets does not skimp on training either. Without exception and at all levels, the staff were good-humored, friendly, communicative and completely at-ease with the guests while at the same time professional, hard-working and working with the kind of pride that you cannot fake just because you happen to be on the clock. I would single-out sous chef, Erick Dominguez, at El Patio and bartender, Miguel, in the preferred club bar. I have some experience with fine dining, and Miguel is one slick bartender. He has all the requisite skill to cruise through his work and make it look effortless, gliding back and forth seamlessly between busy cocktail service and food service. More than that, though, in an open bar full of inebriated westerners loose in an open bar Miguel is adept at maintaining his authority without any hint of confrontation. That kind of finesse could get him a job in New York or Miami; Secrets is lucky to have him.

Dining
We tried the buffet and all the restaurants and were very happy with the food and service. The dining rooms are beautiful and comfortable, and you can find everything from fish tacos and pool-side burgers to Osso Bucco and fabulous, Hibachi-style Japanese cuisine prepared right in front of you. They also have a brick pizza oven poolside that they fire-up in the early afternoon. My focus is always on local cuisine, and Secrets does not disappoint. I was very happy with the menu at El Patio. If you order (and pay for) premium wine, they will also prepare special meals off the menu. We did, and sous chef, Erick Dominguez, treated us to five stunning courses of flavors that I’ve never experienced before. The best way I can quantify this is to say that we snorkeled with turtles everyday and, after that, Erick’s meal was the most memorable thing about our trip. The portions were (fortunately) small enough that we could thoroughly enjoy each course, and believe me when I tell you that we ate with our eyes first. He’s making art in that restaurant. He brought us each course himself, and he was bursting with pride as he described herbs and spices from this region and that region, the peoples and cultures from those regions, the history and different types of mole sauce, and on and on. I hate that I didn’t retain more of what he told us, but the food was so good it was impossible to concentrate. There was a simple taco with a hand-made tortilla and marinated pork that had been cooked underground in banana leaves and was just the most intensely flavorful thing you could imagine. My wife took one bite and gushed that it was the most delicious thing she had ever tasted.

Snorkeling
Snorkeling is important to us, and at Secrets Akumal you can find good to great snorkeling in the bay right off of the resort beach. It’s “baby-pool” snorkeling with no depth or current or anything challenging, but it’s still rewarding. They are very protective of the coral reef in the area, so there are buoy lines that you cannot cross, but there is some beautiful reef within those boundaries. The north side of the bay is mostly soft bottom with grass growing out of sand and would normally not be of great interest except that sea turtles graze on that grass, and we saw turtles everyday. Directly in front of the next resort to the south, you will find some coral reef near the bouy line. We saw dazzling fish there, rays and a brilliant green moray eel. We also saw a beautiful group of squid which we first took for cuttlefish. They will allow you to snorkel with fins and without vests, but take great care near the reef. Don’t stand on it or disturb it with your fins, and certainly don’t harass the turtles. We did see one tourist continually grabbing at one of the turtles, and it’s sad because people like that are the reason for all the restrictions. It only takes one knucklehead.

Tipping
Tipping is neither required nor expected, but I pack a lot of singles and fives when I go to these places, and I do tip. I try to leave a single when I get a drink, even in the pool. I leave a few dollars for breakfast or lunch and five or ten for other meals.

Room Tip: We were happy that our room was on the first floor.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Travis S
SecretsAkumal, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2018

Dear Travis S,

We would like to express our gratitude for the time you spent to share the comments you made about your recent stay at our Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya, they help us to understand how our guests experience their stay with us.

Thank for your very detailed feedback! We are very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our resort, from the kind and passionate service provided by our team to the excellent facilities and the many culinary delights prepared by our professional Chefs, who always strive to offer a wide variety of typical delights in order to please all palates and we thank you for letting us know that we could conquer yours. Please be assured that your kind comments will be shared with our team as they are a great motivation to continue providing an unforgettable experience. Also, our guest’s feedback is truly important for us.

We sincerely look forward to welcome you back home on a future occasion and provide you with the exceptional quality and service that characterizes our brand and resort.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 2 May 2018

My husband and I celebrated out 38th wedding anniversary last week at Secrets Resorts Akumal.
We had a fabulous time. Everything was perfect. Food and Service were great. Our room was
7510 we were on the top floor corner room with view of the whole resort and ocean. We were close
to the coffee shop and sports bar and restaurants and the quiet pool. We were a 5 minute walk to
two more large pools and the beach. Great trip!

Room Tip: Request an oceanview . 5th floor. All rooms have jacuzzis for 2. Request preferred section if you want to be closer to the beach but not necessary.
Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mawadman
SecretsAkumal, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2018

Dear mawadman,

We are happy to know that you had such a great time with us celebrating your Anniversary at Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya! Thank you for taking the time to share your kind comments with us and Trip Advisor.

We are happy to learn that your stay was a very pleasant one from beginning to end, thanks to our efforts as a team, we make possible our excellent vacation experience. We look forward to having you back on your next romantic vacation in the Riviera Maya!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 2 May 2018

Where to even begin? This resort and the staff were absolutely incredible. The grounds were beautiful, the beach was gorgeous, minus the seaweed, and the entertainment was excellent. I have absolutely no complaints about anything. Our concierge, Karen, was incredible and beyond helpful in getting our honeymoon package extras set up, Jonas at the dive shop was an excellent snorkeling guide, the bartenders knew how to make superb drinks (I had the best margarita of my life there) and all of the wait staff at all the restaurants were beyond amazing. We ran into a little issue concerning our romantic dinner on the beach (got rained out) so we moved to the Seaside Grill. There was some confusion over the menu and some extras we were supposed to receive and our waiter and manager turned it into an absolutely wonderful night for my wife and I and even gave us a delicious and thoughtful dessert. We are already planning our next trip back. I cannot wait. I cannot recommend this place highly enough. This resort was just an absolutely incredible experience that my wife and I will remember for years and years to come. I deeply thank everyone for helping contribute to our experience and wouldn't change a thing! We will most definitely be back!

Room Tip: My wife and I got hot relatively easily, even with the fan on, keeping the patio doors closed and the curtains shut. I know it's probably hard to keep the rooms cooler than 65 degrees, given the climate. Maybe additionally fans could be an option. Also, maybe change up the snacks in the room and have an option if the guests want additional snacks? Aside from that, the rooms were gorgeous and the service was outstanding.
Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank andrewmerriman87

Dear andrewmerriman87,

We congratulate you for your honeymoon celebration and we thank you for choosing our Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya for such a special occasion. We take a lot of pleasure in making each of our guests' visits an unforgettable experience.

We are very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our resort and that everything was to your satisfaction. It is always a big morale boost for our staff to know that their effort is appreciated and that their performance made your stay enjoyable.
Thank you for your kind recommendation to the travel community and we look forward to having you back on your next romantic vacation in the Riviera Maya!

Reviewed 2 May 2018

Relaxed quite atmosphere, well appointed quality craftsmanship in the rooms. The staff was excellent, the food was excellent. We have been to several all inclusive resorts and this was by far the best. No pressure any time, couples only time to relax with your significant other. Would recommend and will definitely return. Travel to/from is only draw back, 1.5 hrs from nearest airport.

Room Tip: All rooms seem fabulous. Our was.
Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank dspoon3

Dear dspoon3,

We would like to thank you for the lovely review you shared following your recent visit to Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya and we are delighted to read that we were able to meet your expectations.

We are glad to know you have enjoyed every detail of our experience and to be considered as one of the best resort you stayed at is certainly high praise. We look forward to welcome you home in the near future!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 2 May 2018

Me and my wife were here for a week on a business vacation. As soon as we touched our feet on the concrete the staff went out of their way to welcome you! Every staff member during our stay always greeted us no matter time,day,rain or shine. The rooms are amazing with great views of the ocean. Very clean resort, amazing food. The resort also has different events every day! Spa is a must!!! Grounds are first class. Beautiful gardens and walk ways, koy ponds threw out.

Room Tip: Ask about the rooms with the pool out your back steps
Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank davidballardrodr2018
SecretsAkumal, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2018

Dear davidballardrodr2018,

We are happy to learn that your stay was a very pleasant one from beginning to end. It is always a big morale boost for our staff to know that their effort is appreciated and that their performance made your stay enjoyable. We look forward to having you back home in the near future!

Best Regards,