“Excellent and completely as described :) !”
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Studio Bedroom with Trundle Bed
New Fountain and Sunloungers
Akumal Beach across the street from Esperanza
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Excellent - based on 28 reviews

Reviews from our community

tartan
Digby, Canada
“Excellent and completely as described :) !”
Reviewed 19 February 2019 for a stay in February 2019
people found this review helpful

We recently stayed at the wonderful Casa Esperanza February 5-9, 2019. After much research, we booked this property way last fall for a few days of "adventure" and relaxation before a work Convention at a nearby resort. In the past, we had only ever gone to all inclusive resorts in Mexico, but I had always wanted to try a property rental. As many others have mentioned, from the very first email, Stephanie is the best. She answers every question and goes above and beyond to be helpful for your visit. She is very thorough with her contracts, payment, description of how things work at the house and how to get in, etc.... Her instructions were perfect.
We used USA transfers from the airport. They were excellent. They have the house in their locations. The driver stopped at an OXXO for a very quick stop on the way from the airport, and just a note, the prices there were better than right in Akumal town, so if you get a chance, grab a few things away from the more tourist areas. Flying Westjet, USA transfers allowed us to pay CAD at only 1.25 exchange, so that's pretty good as well.....
At the house, there is a lockbox with an enclosed key to get you in the main door (with her specific directions). Just a note on the lockbox - the inner lighter color section is what pulls down from the wall; not the whole black box. They have people on regular staff who are always available by telephone or text if you are in need of anything. Carlos is the main caretaker. His wife, Diana, cleans, etc, and she, and the poolman/gardener,are there every couple of days. As has been mentioned, there is a young man, Jehu, who stays outside at night around the property outside the gates to keep an eye out in case you wish to have him there for extra reassurance. There are lots of locks and keys for the various doors of the property - again just for extra reassurance. We in no way felt any danger or nervousness at all in Akumal. We walked to many of the nearby restaurants in the evenings with our flashlights - even down to La Buena Vida one night. (about a 12 minute walk one way). We never saw one thing to make us feel nervous of the area at all. We had "walked" online from the house to the restaurants before we went on our trip on Google street view. It is even closer than it seems online. Literally from the front yard, you can see the parking area across from the dive shop and in front of the nearby restaurants. It's no longer than a long driveway to public areas. There are often tourists on the sidewalks and streets walking back and forth from their properties further in to north Akumal.
The kitchen area is huge and quite well equipped. There is a good size fridge and large water dispenser. Ice cubes are made with bottled water only. There is a coffee maker, toaster, propane oven/stove, microwave, lots of lovely dishes, frypans, pots, knives, cutlery, containers. Occasionally guests leave various items in the cupboards that can be used if so desired. There is a BBQ outside around the back and pool floaties as well. We LOVED the colorful, homey decor of the whole home as is shown in all the online photos. The A/C units in all rooms work lovely. The washer and dryer is off the main kitchen room with an extra half bath for anyone who stays in the front "studio" room with a single bed and trundle. There are two full size bedrooms with their own closets and bathrooms in the back of the house off the patio and pool area. Hair dryers, iron and board, first aid kit, basic toiletries are in the rooms/bathrooms. All bedrooms have their own separate locks and even a couple bars with padlocks - again just for your reassurance. On the back patio, there is a locked TV cabinet with Neflix, etc, if you so desire. The onsite wifi worked excellent as well. The small pool is quite deep and stays refreshingly cool (in February anyway). The back patio and backyard is an amazing oasis of tranquility and beauty. We absolutely loved our relaxing time there. The lounge chairs and furniture are all excellent quality. (I will note that for 6 people, a couple new zero gravity chairs or similar would be an asset as there are 4 regular loungers) We were actually a group of six adults which may not be the norm for this rental, but it worked fine for us - the 3rd couple knew what to expect as far as the smaller room with 2 single beds, etc.... The smaller, "studio" room is out the front doors with it's own key/lock, etc.... As others have mentioned - the 3rd room wouldn't be ideal for young children as they are quite a ways and between locked doors from the other bedrooms. With children, I would bring them in to the rooms in the back. There was a small bit of typical Caribbean/Mexico dampness in the cupboards, etc when we first arrived. The air quickly cleared as we got the AC running and some breezes through. I got the impression the house may have been closed a bit before we arrived. It's also a good idea to make sure you close the wooden slat windows before dusk as there are some hungry mosquitoes occasionally who will try to get in to your room otherwise. We used the onsite insect plug ins on the patio and wore bug spray sometimes just in case. Remember it is a tropical country and there can be some bugs. We had a couple iguana visitors one day near the pool - so cool...they are totally harmless - just leave them alone :)
The town of Akumal was awesome. It kind of reminded me of being in Florida in February with lots of Snowbirds there for their winter breaks. We did not have a car and walked everywhere (but you could rent golf carts by the arch if desired). The local store and restaurant employees were typically great. The Super Chomak grocery near the arch carried most things. There is another store almost directly across as well. I found the Oxxo convenience store cheaper for some of the drinks I wanted to purchase.... I think it just depends what you're looking for. There was a small fresh market in the back across from Chomak on Wednesday. I got a few fruit and vegetables there. I think he charged me more than a local, but oh well lol....it was fresh at least. One day, while walking toward North Akumal, there was a truck at the side of the street with oranges where they were selling fresh squeezed juice. Like the Snowbirds, we enjoyed going to the local restaurants for their Happy Hours and then staying for dinner. I know they are touristy, but we really loved la Buena Vida and Lol Ha as they are right on the beach. Lol Ha had live music on Friday as well. We LOVED the atmophere! We also enjoyed Taverna Akumal and Turtle Bay cafe. Great food and service everywhere! I did want to try Que Onda, but we didn't venture that far on foot...- next time maybe.
For an inexpensive, authentic place, I liked Loncheria Akumalito, right beside Super Chomak. Pretty inexpensive takeout for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I loved the lady who waited on me both days; smiling and friendly; and I loved that I watched her make our guac right there and then! So cool to someone from the cold boonies in Canada :) It was all SOOOOO good! (and so close to the house, I literally could just run down to grab sandwiches or nachos, etc and take them back to eat outside on our back patio at Casa Esperanza. I will post separate restaurant reviews with pics when I get a chance.
I did walk across the highway one morning to have a look at the more local town. I think prices would definitely be less touristy across the highway. I saw a few of the local restaurants I had read about on TA, but we didn't venture back as we ran out of days. Next time :) There is a walking bridge to cross the highway - just stay down to the RH side when walking from the beach side to head inland... I didn't really see it until I was up on the overpass (which was kind of crowded with no sidewalk). The highway isn't very far from the house either - maybe 10 minute walk, if that.... the Colectivo stops are right there as well going both directions.
Now about the Akumal beach.... I wanted to try to swim with the turtles while I was there without going through any great amount of hassle, etc; however, it was quite windy and not great conditions some of our days, so I just left it. (Luckily, I got to go on a catamaran excursion the following week with our work group and got to see turtles!!! It was a highlight for me :) ) We did enjoy walking up and down the beach and relaxing with food and drinks at Lol Ha. You can rent lounge chairs and/or palapas/towels/washroom privileges right next to Lol Ha if you wish. Palapa with lounge chairs, etc for 2 was 27USD(450MXN); Lounge chair was 9USD(150MXN) ea; Locker 13USD (210MXN)/ Bathroom including shower 4USD(60MXN). We had no issues going through the Akumal Caribe hotel to go to Lol Ha restaurant when we entered the beach. Of course, we gave them our business as well. From what I could see, it was there or by the dive shop to gain nearby beach entry. They have so much blocked off....This would have been the only slight negative of our time in Akumal. They've made it not easy to even just walk down to the beach :( Unless you want to pay...

In closing, I highly recommend Stephanie and her house, Casa Esperanza. It could not be in a better location for people who want to visit especially without a vehicle. Hopefully, we will get to visit again in the future! The whole town was a great atmosphere in February. We absolutely loved it and would be happy to do it all again!

Date of stay: February 2019
cherez999
Dallas, Texas
“PARADISE!!”
Reviewed 2 July 2018 for a stay in June 2018
person found this review helpful

Our stay at Casa Esperanza was Spectacular!
As you drive up the gorgeous foliage and care of the landscape lets you know this is going to be a special place. The Mexican tiled baths and main room really give you the feel of an authentic Mexican Casita:) It is very clean and well appointed. Great space for everyone. The beds are SOOOO comfortable! Loved the back patio and pool. So nice and relaxing surrounded by more beautiful landscaping.
It is just a very short walk to to beach, grocery, shops, restaurants and Spa..Everything you need is just right there.
Stephanie was was very sweet and helpful. Recommending great restaurants and things to do.
Casa Esperanza is a very special place. We will definitely be back!!

shoegirl0...
Los Angeles, California
“A home away from home”
Reviewed 2 July 2018 for a stay in June 2018

I travel a lot for work, and stay in hotels so many nights during the year, that I really wanted to stay at home, when visiting Mexico last week.
I came across Casa Esperanza while searching on trip advisor, and even with all the resorts in the area, this property has 100% five star reviews.
The house is clean, open, and homey. There were 4 girls, 3 bedrooms, and 2 1/2 baths. The open living room and kitchen let us socialize, cook, and relax all at the same time.
In the community of akumal, there are a slew of amazing restaurants, cafes, and shops. We did leave to go to Tulum twice, but you never HAD to leave.
The outside patio, has three large fans, sitting area, and a dining table. In the evenings, I really did expect it to be quite humid and hot, but it really wasn’t we sat outside and ate dinner had cocktails and even had a late night swim a few nights.

This really felt like a home away from home and I’m looking forward to my next stay at this property.

Morgan B
Dallas, Texas
“Beautiful house great location. Loved it!”
Reviewed 1 July 2018 for a stay in June 2018

This was a beautiful house, with a fabulous location in Akumal. The private pool was wonderful and it was only a 2 or 3 minuet walk to turtle bay and great restaurants. Loved my stay.

Chris H
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Fantastic house and location.”
Reviewed 13 April 2018 for a stay in April 2018
person found this review helpful

This lovely house is the very first into the residential district of Akumal resort and as such is within very easy walking distance of the beautiful beach, several excellent restaurants and a few food and souvenir shops.
The house has every facility that you could possibly want, with friendly and helpful staff that come in at different times of the week. Carlos, the house manager, was really helpful and came around immediately if there was the slightest issue.
The pool is great for lounging around, either all day or just for a quick dip after the short walk back from the beach. (The sun loungers are the most comfortable that I've experienced!)
The three comfortable bedrooms are slightly separate from the main living area, which is great for not disturbing others in your party that may wish to sleep in, but if you have a young family, you might have to rethink sleeping arrangements.
You now have to pay to go onto Akumal beach, but we used to take our swimming gear and go to Lol-Ha for breakfast and then went onto the beach from there.
We had an amazing 9 days here in Casa Esperanza. Thanks!

Date of stay: April 2018
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.