“Slides into First Place”
Review of Counting House

Counting House
Reserve a table
Thu, 06/05
20:00
Ranked #37 of 764 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$25 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Description: Local cuisine meets the bold flavors and playful techniques of executive chef Jeff Seizer at Counting House. A social experience set amongst the art of today, designed to provide you with an easy-going escape that will feed your soul. Inspired by old school European techniques and simple preparations, his menu is familiar, yet unexpected
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I concluded after last evening, that the Counting House, under the baton of chef Jeff Seizer, has taken first place among Durham restaurants. The quiet, romantic ambience greets you with a warm welcome, the service could not have been more attentive or gracious, and the cuisine is innovative, bold and delicious without any fussiness. Portions are generous, and my date and I split and were plenty satiated with 2 apps and a main. To top it off, the young man who valeted the car was extra kind and helpful. What a memorable meal and evening overall.

Date of visit: April 2021
Charlie C, General Manager at Counting House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Trapezoidhd,
Wow, what an amazing review, thank you so much. I can not wait to share with chef Jeff and the entire team. We look forward to seeing much more of you in the future.
-The Counting House Team

Write a reviewReviews (233)

Reviewed 23 November 2020 via mobile

Had a super Birthday Dinner for ten in this amazing restaurant- new chef, new menu with food cooked to perfection, washed down with great vino! The lovely staff, Josh, Savannah and Ryan worked hard to accommodate our requirements as of course in a pandemic we have to adhere to the restrictions and rules but they couldn’t do enough to ensure my husband had a super 60th birthday celebration! Thank you. Would highly recommend. Maria

Date of visit: November 2020
1  Thank Propertiesbeauty
Reviewed 16 March 2020

This is an Amazing venue with excellent service and quality food. The venue provides for an outstanding dining experience. Certainly will return.

Date of visit: January 2020
testabc123def456, Other at Counting House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2020

Thank you for dining with us, E Riehl! We are so thrilled that you enjoyed excellent service along with your meal. We will look forward to your return and giving you another outstanding dining experience.
-The Counting House Team

Reviewed 17 February 2020

We arrived in ample time for a CATS performance, with reservation. It was during restaurant week and two of us ordered that and two of us ordered from the regular menu. It took FOREVER for the food to arrive and it was good not great. Although we told our server twice that we had show tickets, she seemed uncaring. We asked for the check without getting dessert and even that took more than five minutes. Overall, a nerve-wracking experience. As the food was good, we may try again but probably make reservations HOURS before the show.

Date of visit: June 2019
1  Thank moharaphd
CharlieC2412, General Manager at Counting House, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2020

I'm sorry for the service you experienced, there is no excuse for it and I apologize. I sincerely hope you return and give us another opportunity to provide the quality of service we strive to give all our guests. I assure you we will make sure you make your show with plenty of time. If I can ever be of assistance please don't hesitate to let me know.
Charlie Cronin-Food and Beverage Director

Reviewed 12 February 2020

This is a beautifully designed restaurant with wonderful works of art throughout. The food is delicious, and was much more reasonable than I’d anticipated. The cauliflower and sweet potato chips were both delicious and plenty to share. I’ve only been there for lunch, and the three of us all enjoyed the meal. Service was excellent, and we ate our meal well attended, but not rushed.
After lunch, we toured the gallery in the adjoining hotel. Fantastic! I had no idea what a jewel this was, although the gallery was the reason we ate at The Counting House.
I will definitely return!

Date of visit: January 2020
CharlieC2412, General Manager at Counting House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2020

Thank you so much for the glowing review. We are thrilled to have The Future is Female as our current exhibition and we are very happy to it brought you into Counting House. Please join us again for lunch or come back for dinner.
Charlie Cronin