“Not a good Experience”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 3 May 2018

I had bought the Groupon for the chance to break away from the normal Italian and Mexican fare that so populates the triangle's culinary scene. I was hoping for an authentic dining experience. I didn't get one.

This restaurant is in the basement of a State Farm Insurance building with fairly steep stairs. This bares mentioning because one customer fell down the stairs as we were eating. The decor was for lack of a better term... interesting.

I had a $20 Groupon and thought that should have been enough for two people to eat. WRONG !! The menu prices were $15 per plate. This would have afforded us the opportunity to of only had one meal. So instead we were forced to order several appetizers. When I informed our waiter of our order, he snatched the menus from us and stomped off. The restaurant was empty except for us and the couple that came in after us that fell down the stairs, so our food came very quickly.

We ordered the Meat Samosa, Vegetable Samosa, and Mulligatawny Soup. The soup was basically water with curry. Not much in terms of flavor or serving size. The Samosa were good, but you got two per order and I couldn't exactly tell you what meat was used.

Our check was deposited on the table without a word. We were never given a quality check nor were we asked if we like to order anything else. I hurriedly gave the waiter my phone which clearly stated that we had a $20 Groupon. Our bill was $11.38 he said that we owed .38 in cash. We paid and immediately left never to return again, much as I suspect as the rest of Chapel Hill has done.

Reviewed 1 October 2017

Genuine Indian cuisine, I felt. (I’m not Indian.) We two shared and enjoyed Mixed Appetizer Platter ($8,Chicken Pakora, Meat Samosa, Chicken Tikka and Seekh Kabab), Bollywood meat Thali ($20,Lamb Curry, Chicken Tikka Masala, Chicken Curry, served with Rice, Nan, Raita, Meat Samosa and Kheer), Vegetable curry ($12?). Don’t miss its wonderful Chai, not so sweet and so good.

おいしかった!土地柄か、最初にメキシコ料理のトルティーヤ・チップスみたいなものが出ます。変に洗練されてないし、アメリカ風にもなってなくていいです。ナンやインディカ米がお腹でふくれて、苦しいほど食べてしまいました。チャイもおいしかったです。

Reviewed 24 August 2017

I live in a boring place in Michigan with very little food choices outside of chain restaurants and when I realized I would be visiting the Triangle area, I knew that getting good Indian takeout was first on my to-do list. Having lived in the area previously, I have a lot of favorites (Tandoor being one of them), but Tandoor was closest to my hotel so it is where I decided to stop in and grab lunch. It was as amazing as I remember. I had the Chicken Makhani and regular naan, sooooo good. I was there right at the end of lunch, so no one else was there, but the food was hot and ready, and the woman that checked me out was very friendly. I wish I lived closer so that I could go more often.

Reviewed 6 January 2017

Our go-to Indian restaurant in Chapel Hill has been the Mint but we decided to try something different since the infrastructure at the Mint has been declining. The Tandoor Restaurant has been here as long as I can remember and I believe we last ate here about 20 years ago! We had the mixed grill and Kashmir/spinach with Naan and rice. Each dish was authentically prepared; we had "medium" heat, and for me the spice was just right but my husband would have preferred spicier. I found the spinach a little creamier than other Kashmir spinaches. For the price, the portions were perfect. The interior is brightly painted and the atmosphere authentic. I think Indian music would have added a nice touch; it was rather quiet in the restaurant and we could hear the conversations of other diners. I am still looking for Indian food that compares to what I've had in London; the Tandoor is not as good as the London restaurants but it is a good, easy place to go to when the desire for Indian food hits!

Reviewed 26 August 2016

I visited here yesterday with my father following a very painful medical procedure at Chapel Hill. Locating the restaurant can be difficult if you haven't read previous reviews that it is in the basement of a brick insurance building and you need to go through a yellow door. But it is a bit like a treasure hunt because of the booty you find below! There are steep stairs and I needed help going down them. One of the family members happened to be going up and helped my father get me down. It was so kind! I immediately felt comfortable in the opulent fabric surroundings. We opted to order one appetizer a la carte (samosas) and do the lunch buffet which had a variety of delicious treats to choose from. My favorites were the chicken tika masala and of course the kheer! The masala really satisfied my craving! There was enough spice to make it savory but not fiery like so many Indian joints these days. The kheer was a bit soupy but still good. The tandoor chicken had been out too long and was tough but the chicken tika masala was the prize anyway. The pricing was very fair for an all-you-can-eat buffet and we will definitely be back. Thank you for a wonderful experience.