“Great Experience”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Utica Curling Club
Reviewed 25 February 2018

I went there with my wife during their Olympic Open House. After watching curling on tv we just wanted to try it. We were a little worried that with all the coverage it got on tv that it was going to be very crowded. I would say it was crowded but it moved very quickly. We got there and within about 25 minutes we were heading down to the ice. Our instructor was ok, probably the low point of the entire experience. It wasn't that she was bad but other instructors we saw (especially when we watched from above) seemed to make it fun. We still had a great time learning since the other 4 people being taught were laughing and joking about everything. Two things I should mention--curling is fun, a little tricky but if I think back to like the first time I tried to throw a bowling ball this seemed easier (and luckily I didn't knock anything down this time). We are already trying to figure out how to go again. We are looking to collect a group and rent out a lane or whatever they call the strip of ice you use. Second--the people are insanely nice. It started with the man who helped us find a place to park to the guy who took our money who was joking with us from the moment we got in. When we were ready to leave my wife wanted to ask some questions about the rental of the ice. That lead to a 25 minute conversation that ended up with the one woman looking for a nurse (i think) who works in a doctor's office to give my wife some advice on a knee replacement. If you are worried that the people will be critical or judgemental, don't be remotely nervous. Not sure a membership is for us (2 hour drive each way twice a week would be tough) but we will definitely be back.

Date of experience: February 2018

Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

Dinner on Friday nights Nov-early March is delicious. People are super friendly, and there are several times during the season where you can learn to curl. A really fun sport for ages 8-80.

Date of experience: January 2018
Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

If you are looking for a winter activity. Stop down to he Utica Curling Club in October and try it out. There will be open houses allowing you time to try this unique sport that almost anyone can play from the age of 3 up to 93.

Date of experience: March 2017
Reviewed 13 March 2017

I visited the curling club several times this weekend to see my daughter play in the college national games. I do not curl but will describe it from the visitor's viewpoint.
There is an ample amount of parking. Even with 16 college teams, and parents, I was able to find parking. Inside the staff spoke with me and were very accomodating and helpful. They have a bar inside. I do not drink but I heard comments from- whom I presume were parents- that the bar made very good drinks.
The restrooms were clean and well supplied. On a typical night where there are games, there is available food and drinks for sale. The meals are homecooked.
I was not charged a fee to go in and see the games. Free to watch the games!

Date of experience: March 2017
See more reviews
Reviewed 18 November 2016

Well first I have to say the staff were super efficient and informative. They made the curling experience great for everyone involved. We had a group of 50. Hopefully my co-workers don't get wind of this review.....they're not the most athletic bunch. But with that being said....they all participated and did really well. There was some lunging involved and a lot of sweeping : ). All participants were men ranging from 21 - 60 and they thought it was going to be boring. Well, second thing i have to say is that they all left smiling. They commented on it being challenging and fun. They may have been a bit sore the next day.

Date of experience: November 2016

Been to Utica Curling Club? Share your experiences!