Open today: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Review Highlights
Small but attractive Museum

It is a small museum in size, with attractive themes and exhibits. Several themes are displayed... read more

Reviewed 9 April 2021
santo-trainsspotter7
Auckland, New Zealand
Full of knowledge

My husband and I enjoy visiting museums to find out more of the areas local history. I was very... read more

Reviewed 23 February 2021
eveskip
Hamilton, New Zealand
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Whitianga
Coro Coaster
2 Reviews
from US$278.14
More Info
All reviews captain cook local history mercury bay small space interactive exhibits excellent displays early settlement interesting things worth a visit all ages logging maori shipwreck hms dairy gum farming
Selected filters
Reviewed 26 September 2019 via mobile

This museum is a little gem and we are so lucky to have it right on our doorstep. Every local should make the effort to visit it and maybe learn a bit more about our slice of paradise.
Currently the museum is getting ready for Tuia 250 (Captain Cook visited Whitianga 250 years ago) and lots of new exhibits are being created as I type.
Lots of interactive displays and so much local history. Make sure you put it on your list.

Date of experience: September 2019
Reviewed 14 August 2019

Had a bit of spare time in Whitianga and visited this museum. Cost was $7.50 per adult. Well worth it. The museum is run by volunteers and a paid manager. The displays were well done and some surprising interactive displays as well. Full of information about dairying, forestry, fishing and other local past industry. The lady on duty was pleasant and helpful.

Date of experience: August 2019
Reviewed 11 June 2019

Well worth the visit very interesting and informative on the history of the area, nice staff and very helpful

Date of experience: June 2019
Reviewed 8 May 2019 via mobile

This is a great museum highlighting the history of the region with special emphasis on Capt James Cook' journeys and observations of the teansit of Mercury. Superb maps of the time showing Cook's journeys and fascinating names of regions of the world at that time.
Well worth a visit.

Date of experience: May 2019
Reviewed 8 May 2019 via mobile

Mercury Bay has so much history that so many dont know about. This visit was a great reminder to me. I've been coming to Whitianga for 57 years and have lived here for 7. I thought I knew some of the capt. Cook stuff but the museum opened up my eues amd my son was also impressed and we both had fun.

Date of experience: June 2018