“Mid morning scones”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 13 November 2017

Popped across to Whitianga via Ferry from Cook's Beach ($6 return) so we could have a wander around. Nice marina area and quite a few shops. Needing some sort of refreshment, we opted for the French Fig as it was quite busy and looked nice. We weren't disappointed - tea in proper teapots and the warm savoury scone was delicious. Small area near the counter has some lovely gifts for purchase too. Nice decor.
Only thing that stops me giving it five stars was the birds! Being ornithophobic, I found it quite offputting that birds fly in through the open window/door scouting the floor for crumbs. Fortunately no one else seemed to mind and I came across this in a lot of cafes during our time in NZ - I guess our British birds are more timid!
Nonetheless, would recommend.

1  Thank Jane W

Reviewed 11 November 2017 via mobile

A delightful cafe in Whitianga town centre. I almost bypassed this cafe for one on the waterfront but was very pleased I didn't. The cabinet was brimming with delicious food, making choosing difficult as I would have liked to sample it all. The wait staff were cheerful and obliging and the coffee was well made. The toilet facilities are as charming as the cafe itself, which has shabby chic style decor. The cafe tables are set amongst shelves of goods that can be purchased, adding to the ambience and making for an interesting setting. The pricing was reasonable giving good value.

1  Thank TFW_Sue
starlightbambam, Owner at The French Fig, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2018

Thank you I am glad you enjoyed our little cafe.We now have the added bonus of alfresco dining .
We look forward to seeing you back one day soon

Reviewed 7 November 2017

We had lunch here for the second time and loved the food the service and coffee. The selection is varied and of great quality. We would highly recommend this cafe in the heart of whitianga

1  Thank NZtraveller02
Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

Offering a limited menu with excellent coffee and tasty food. This is a small place in a strip mall that is unassuming. Don't judge by the exterior but come in and enjoy.

1  Thank georgem107
Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

Visiting a town as a coeliac for the first time it’s always a guess to choose a cafe that does reliable gluten free - and French Fig looked like the sort of place that would be a good choice.
I asked for the “Gluten-Free Corn Fritter stacks” as they were the most interesting looking gluten free option.

When it came out with Salsa and Salad, I enquired if the salsa & dressing were also GF - waitresses checked with kitchen, “No to both.”
Because of that, I asked if she’d double check about the corn-fritters... waitress comes back from kitchen, “Ah actually they contain some gluten.”

Big question mark as to how a cafe can label something as gluten free when it actually contains wheat!

I then went and talked with the chef who went through the rest of menu about what could be GF - and I finished up with poached eggs, which were very tasty.
Coffee was good.
Non gluten-free husband’s Seafood Chowder was apparently good.