“Early Morning Visit When the Tide is Right”

Sea Cave Adventures
Ranked #5 of 20 Tours in Whitianga
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Join Les and experience a personal tour like no other.Visit the famous Cathedral Cove. Slowly cruise inside and enjoy the natural beauty of the incredible sea caves, from Whitianga to Hot Water Beach. Snorkel with the fish in the marine reserve or swim in the amazing waters of the massive Orua Cave. Enjoy the magnificent scenery, golden beaches, offshore islands, spectacular blowholes and towering rock faces. Visit all this and photograph more from our purpose built boat where your safety and enjoyment is our specialty.
Reviewed 17 December 2017

There are several ways to see Cathedral Cove. You can take the water taxi. (Expensive and only goes to the beach) You can hike. (Long and only goes to the beach) You can kayak.(Long and only goes to the beach.) Or you can take one of the boat tours that leaves near Whitianga. Sea Cave with Les was highly recommended. And I'll return the favor. Yes, it's really that good. Les drives a small boat so it'll be an intimate tour. After we made our reservation, Les called back and said that, if we could make the earlier tour, the tide would be right for a trip to the big blowhole. If you get that chance take it. The trip leaves out of Whitianga or the ferry landing near Cooks Beach.

Les takes you out past Shakespeare Cliffs and into the marine preserve, providing expert local insight at each stop. And he knows that photographers love this trip so he leaves plenty of time and sets up plenty of vistas for the pictures.

The best part is, because he skippers a small boat, he can get into some pretty tight spots. In fact, there were a couple of times I don't think I would have tried to navigate a kayak through. But Les could. We went to two blowholes, including the big one which is worth the effort.

Overall, a great trip with a great guide.

JandLCoomber, Owner at Sea Cave Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2017

Hi Daryl,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your trip with us - I really appreciate the kind feedback and hearing how everyone enjoyed the trip. Our smaller boat does allow for that little bit of extra exploring and while the spots may seem tight, I always make sure that there is enough space for me to safely navigate the boat - adds a bit more excitement for everyone on board. The Big Blowhole is truly something great and I am so glad I could convince you to take the earlier trip and happy to hear you agreed it was worth it.
So glad that you had such a great time on board and again thank you for such a kind review - hope to see you again.

All reviews
"new zealand"
in 7 reviews
"interesting facts"
in 2 reviews
"great knowledge of the area"
"great fun"
"value for money"
"his knowledge"
in 3 reviews
"two hours"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 2 December 2017 via mobile

We went on this tour with Les. He is a character and full of knowledge about the area. He was able to answer any questions I had. He took us to caves and blow holes other bigger boats would not have fitted in.

There was five on the tour and the boat was very comfortable. He even supplied people with sunscreen.

He stopped in a beautiful location for a few of us to take a swim and snorkel.

Trip lasted about two and a half hours. Well worth the money. Thanks Les

JandLCoomber, Owner at Sea Cave Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2017

Hi Gail,
Thank you for taking the time to review your trip out with us the other day, i really appreciate hearing the feedback.
I am glad i was able to answer the questions you had - i like to think i am full of fun facts about our coastline.
While our boat is a little bit smaller, it is surely beneficial when it comes to getting into those smaller caves and blowholes, i am glad to hear you enjoyed that aspect of our tour as I think it really sets us apart form the others.
I like to make sure that everyone on board is as comfortable as possible and try to supply everything including sunscreen because we all know that summer sun can be dangerous.
Thank you so much for choosing to come out and explore the coast with us and also writing such a kind review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed yourself so much.

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

We did this boat tour at 8am on an unpleasant day and the water was SO calm with hardly anyone about and les was a legend with soooo much local knowledge, enthusiasm and humour! Would highly recommend to anyone stopping in Whitianga as he is the only boat ride that will take you into the blowholes and caves. 10/10 thanks les :)

JandLCoomber, Owner at Sea Cave Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2017

Hi Marli,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a kind review of our trip, I really appreciate your feedback.
8am is definitely the best time to be out on the water and a great way to start your day. I try to let everyone know about the area with interesting facts, just to make the trip that much more enjoyable so I am glad to hear you enjoyed my commentary. Our boat is one of the only ones that will let you experience a little bit more, being smaller than the others we can experience the natural beauty of the caves and blowholes from inside - hope you were able to grab some great photos.
Again thank you so much for your kind review, i really do appreciate it and hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip to Whitianga.

Reviewed 29 August 2017

I have done this tour several times, and each time you see something new. This is the first thing we do with any visitors to the area, and we have always had a great time.

JandLCoomber, Owner at Sea Cave Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2017

Hi Daniel,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your trip with us. So happy to hear that you keep coming back for our trip and enjoy it every time, also appreciate you bringing your visitors to experience the trip too. I really appreciate your feedback and continued support.
See you on your next visit