“Food was scrumptious - Atmosphere was a major disappointment”

Al Camino Whitianga
Ranked #27 of 58 Restaurants in Whitianga
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 4 May 2017

I was in Whitianga for business in April 2017.

This restaurants menu looked appealing to me when I had walked past on my afternoon walk.

I went back later that evening for my meal, I ordered a chicken creamy pasta dish.
This was absolutely amazing, one of the best I have had in years!!

HOWEVER, the atmosphere was for me a major disappointment. I was dining alone, but this does not normally bother me. In this instance it did, there was no background music which is usually a great addition if dining alone.

The young waitress was SUPER kind and attentive, but I felt that the older waitress came across quite 'snarky' and when I asked to have my receipt when I paid, it seems like the end of the world?!?!?!?

A man who worked there also went to every table but mine to offer guests a blanket as it was slightly chilly, which disappointed me as I was feeling the cold.

Not sure if I would return???

Reviewed 30 March 2017

Loved the awesome experience we have just enjoyed at Al Comino. Right across the road from the beautiful shoreline and set in a very pleasant surrounding. Plenty of room for all. Food was great, my wife ordered Chicken Masala and I had vegetarian pizza then lemon and lime cheesecake. All the food was amazing. Our experience was made even more enjoyable by a lovely, attentive young waitress Jemma. She made our experience much more enjoyable. Even the owner personally delivered my pizza. A wonderful please to eat. Another Must Do in Whitianga.

Reviewed 25 March 2017 via mobile

I had the chicken ravioli and mum had the mousaka. Chicken ravioli was nice but small portion. About 5 pieces of ravioli. Mums mousaka was average.
50 min wait (we timed). By that time we were starving and meal was small. Wouldn't go again.

2  Thank olivebranch0
Reviewed 22 March 2017

My partner and I went to dinner she had the chicken carbonara and I had the house pizza. Both were fantastic. So good we went back the next night for more Pizza for the both of us. Would definitely go there again. Service was great also, love being served by a waitress with a big smile.

Reviewed 10 March 2017

The first evening we ate here we had suvlaki and pasta the next time steak. We had the most amazing waitress with the biggest smile and dimples serving us both occasions, and a complement she recognized us on our return visit. The most moorish looking pizzas were being made and the diners really seemed to be enjoying them, they also did a brisk business with the pizza takeaways that a lovely gentlemen with kerchief and beret was off delivering. Great atmosphere, thoroughly recommend