“The waiter touched our fries”
Review of Stoked Restaurant

Stoked Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 60 Restaurants in Whitianga
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Description: Stoked is a relaxed family dining Restaurant set in a prime waterfront Location in Whitianga. We offer an all day menu serving a range of different cuisines. We particularly focus on fresh local Seafood, Chargrilled dishes, Woodfired pizzas and have a full kids Menu. We have a selection of Craft Beers on Tap and serve local and International Wines. So come and Get Stoked with your Hosts Bex & Andy
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stoked was a mixed bag for our group. I personally had a lovely meal and found the majority of the staff entertaining (read: I was laughing at their antics, rather than their humour). But then again, it wasn't my french fry that slipped off my dinner plate only to be retrieved by the waiter and returned to my plate. 'I don't know which chip it was!' cried my dining companion. 'How will I know which one not to eat?' As an observer I found it funny and carried on enjoying the beautiful tofu curry I had ordered - sans fingers. The tide was seriously out on my cocktail, but the two mouthfuls I had were great. Our friend found his main dish of scallops to be noticeably stingy, paying somewhere in the region of $30 for three shells. When we mentioned the fact to the manager she either didn't understand our complaint or she didn't care about improving on her restaurant. A simple warning by the waiter regarding the portion size of the meal would have been all it took to resolve the issue. By the look on the manager's face I'm pretty sure they're not going to take our advice on board.

Date of visit: November 2018
rebekahb434, Owner at Stoked Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

In response to your recent review, as the Owner/Operator of the Restaurant I am disappointed to read that your group had a mixed dining experience at Stoked. We take on board customers feedback and happy to listen to advice to continuously improve on our Product or Service.
Whitianga is a very seasonal town and we rely on casual staff to support us through the busy season. We currently have a very new team of staff and ongoing training is in place. The young waiter panicked when the chip fell off your friend's plate and later after a discussion with him, he was very apologetic and now knows that was the wrong thing to do. The Scallop dish is very reasonably priced. My husband the chef only uses fresh local Scallops and makes a delicious Fish Veloute for the sauce which is finished with a homemade crumb. You may only get three shells on the plate, but there are FOUR Scallops in each shell,making a total of TWELVE Scallops, accompanied with a Mixed Side Salad. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your Curry and Cocktail. Since the recipe has been tweaked to make it now a high tide.
We have a vision at Stoked that all our diners are made to feel welcome, enjoy a relaxed meal and leave happy!

Reviewed 9 November 2018

We had just arrived in Whitianga and walked out to search for a restaurant. I had already told my wife that I probably wanted to eat meat that night. Well, we chose the right place ….. a great location over-looking the beach and the beef and lamb were excellent. A great family run establishment.

Date of visit: November 2018

Thank you for your recent review. We are thrilled to hear you had an excellent meal and enjoyed your dining experience at our Restaurant. Enjoy the rest of your travels.

Reviewed 5 November 2018 via mobile

Nice to have tasty food that isn't fried or laden with calories.
Busy for a Monday night, service was good, and food very fresh, tasty and not too heavy. We would definitely come back if we were in Whitianga for longer.

Reviewed 29 October 2018 via mobile

A truly delicious meal, fabulous setting opposite the beach with friendly staff/owners. Highly recommended and a shame we are leaving tomorrow, we'd go back for sure otherwise.

Date of visit: October 2018
rebekahb434, Owner at Stoked Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2018

Thank you Bronwyn for the fantastic feedback.

Reviewed 25 October 2018

I wish I could say this was a positive and enjoyable experience.
We had been given a recommendation to go to Stoked, on arrival the bar area was very busy, asked for a Pilsner and was given what we believed to be a Citrus beer, asked for it to be checked...they told me it was a Good George Pilsner (I drink their Pilsner regularly and can assure you it was not Pilsner) [Did they put the beers on the wrong taps?]
Ordered a Lemon Lime and Bitters instead - Disgusting way too much bitters - but I drank it, only saving grace was the metal straw.
Ordered our Entree which took nearly 40 mins to arrive, The Salt and Pepper squid had hardly any flavour and the Garlic flat bread was an overkilled on the Garlic - Not enjoyable.
Another 30 mins passed after Entrees were given to us, by this time it was getting dark and a candle was lit on our table. Nice ambiance BUT when our Mains finally arrived we couldn't see what we were eating, We both ordered the ribs, and I think there was more flavour on the chips than the ribs.

Over all a very disappointing experience, when it should have been an amazing one.

Date of visit: October 2018
rebekahb434, Owner at Stoked Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2018

In response to your recent review, I as the owner am disappointed to hear your overall experience at Stoked was not as expected. On the night you dined at our Restaurant it was an extremely busy weekend for the whole town, not just us and wait times can get up. We cook all our meals fresh to order. You have commented you were unhappy with all your dishes and if you had pointed this out to a Staff member on the night I could have resolved this in an amicable way. Your Pilsner could have also been exchanged as you felt you had been given the wrong beer? Our Lemon, Lime Bitters is a Bundaberg product and we don’t add any extra Bitters. One final comment I’m pleased to hear you felt the ambience was great with the candles, but if you felt it was too dark to see your meals we would have happily moved you to a free table on the deck or within the Restaurant with more lighting. In future I recommend you point out to management If you are unhappy at the time with anything and then the problem can be resolved and prevent you from leaving an establishment unhappy.