Rottnest Lodge(Rottnest Island)
US$158
US$78
Hotels.com
  • Beachfront
Quality Suites Fremantle(Fremantle)(Great Value!)
US$96
Hougoumont Hotel Fremantle(Fremantle)(Great Value!)
US$116
  • Breakfast included
Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges(Fremantle)(Great Value!)
US$109
  • Pool
All reviewsbeer gardencourtyard roomseveral hoursoutdoor barbasic facilitiesthompson bayshort strollspent nightsmid weekquokkascyclingtenderseagullsarmsmainlandaustraliahire
Reviewed 1 May 2018

The Rottnest Hotel was the summer home for the Perth Governor. It’s only a small hotel with, I believe, 28 rooms. All are a good size,very clean and tidy, with fridge, etc., and a good supply of tea, and coffee. The furniture leaves something to be desired being smaal and the chairs rather unstable!
Overall facilities are good and our rooms included a sea view, and outside patio area.
The restaurant has a simple menu, but the food served was excellent. We ate steaks which were perfectly cooked, and barramundi, which again was excellent.
There are good outside area for sitting maybe with a nice glass of wine served from a well-stocked bar.
Rottnest was named after the local animal inhabitants which were thought to be, but certainly arent, large rats. In fact they are quokaas, which is a harmless rodent about 12/14” long and very mild mannered. There about 7000 on the island, but are not found on the mainland.

Room Tip: Look for a sea view
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Locketier
GeneralManagerHR, General Manager at Hotel Rottnest, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We have 4 Bayside rooms with views out over Thomson Bay and 14 internal Courtside rooms.
Very pleased you enjoyed your F&B experience with us.

Reviewed 20 April 2018

I am a very fair reviewer and I always give a property the benefit of the doubt when I read other reviews. In this instance, I pretty much have to agree with a lot of the problems that people have written.

Firstly, I can give it 10 out of 10 for location and view from the Bayfront rooms...it is easy to get to everything, as well as relaxing to sit and people watch at night from the terrace.

From there it goes downhill. We stayed at Easter and paid $450 a night, I am happy to pay a premium for a good property that’s clean and professional. I wasn’t expecting a 5 star hotel for the price (although I should have gotten it) but I was expecting a neat and tidy room with good service.

What we got for $450 was:

- a filthy room, the bed head hadn’t been dusted in months, the window ledges has dust and dirt all over them, the shelf in the bathroom had filth all over it

- The windows didn’t lock and when we asked for something to be done we were told the maintenance team was off for Good Friday but they would put a piece of wood in there to make sure people couldn’t open the window from the outside...this never happened. Thank god we didn’t have to deal with our room being broke into

- The leaves all over the terrace were never swept, the gutters were over flowing with them so obviously the maintenance team never did this as a job

-The housekeeping girl was useless. We were out of our room for most of the day but then she decided to turn up when we had gotten back from the beach and were in the shower. Instead of offering to come back later she offered us some towels and didn’t return. The next day we put out the "please make up my room" sign that we found and the exact same thing happened she came later in the day.

This time we asked her to do the room and we sat on the terrace as there was sand all over the floor and the beds etc needed making. She was in the room for 4 minutes, emptied the bins, replaced the towels and left. We were gob smacked that the floors weren’t swept/vacuumed and our beds weren’t made. My husband went and found her and asked her to do it. She said because I pulled the sheets up that normally means people down want you to touch the bed. In all the years I have travelled the world I have never heard this, I just leave my bed tidy…it wasn’t made. She made the beds and vacuumed but the vacuum cleaner was so old and dirty that our room stunk like wet dog for the next hour...it was gross!

- The menu at the pub is very limited for kids and nothing was appropriate for my son...it had 4 things to choose from and they were average options.

- The property needs a lot of maintenance including the rooms. The showers are full of mold (probably because they are cleaned properly. The terrace had drinks all spilt down the walls

- The walls are paper thin, the people next door were so loud to us and they werent even noisy people!

I tried to make contact with the hotel to give them this feedback instead of putting it on the net first but there is no email address to be able to do this.

I get you are an island and can ask a premium but this room and property is realistically a $150 a night maybe $200 max because its an island so to ask for $450 at peak times is just ripping people off if you cant even provide a clean, maintaned room.

The photos I have included dont quite do it justice of how gross it was but you can get the picture with the fuzzyness you can see on the bedhead!

Thank goodness the island is amazing; the beaches are beautiful and there are plenty of other lovely places to eat otherwise Hotel Rottnest would have really ruined our Easter

Room Tip: The Bayview rooms are much better than the courtyard ones
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank BjhTravels

Dear Guest,

I am shocked to be reading your review and its completely out of character assessment of our services and product.
This has been brought to the attention of my senior MGT team and rest assured it will not be repeated.
I would appreciate hearing from you directly.

Reviewed 15 April 2018

We have just returned from 2 nights on beautiful Rottnest Island, where we stayed in a Bayside Room at Hotel Rottnest. The staff were very friendly, but the rooms are very tired, basic and not very clean. Our courtyard was dirty when we arrived and was not cleaned during our stay, so the sun lounges were unusable. Perhaps the worst aspect about the rooms is that you can hear just about everything your neighbours do, especially in rooms with interconnecting doors, which ours had! The man in the room next to us kept me awake with his snoring (admittedly I am a light sleeper). And noise from the courtyard went late into the night! For what you pay you would expect something far superior to this. We will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JFT_57

Dear Guest,

Your review has been brought to the attention of our accommodation manager and housekeeper for explanation and they extend their sincere apologies.

Reviewed 13 April 2018 via mobile

Check in was fine. Arrived at the room which was extremely out dated for the price. Bathroom was dirty and shower had brown marks all over it. Didnt look like it had been cleaned properly for a while. The rest of the room was average at best, the duvet did not have a cover which is extremely unhygienic! We arrived back at the room later at night and the noise from the general court yard was excessive. People can party outside your room until any hour. For the price you are paying you expect a a peaceful return to your room. All up a very average stay and I will not be staying here again!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sara B

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your experiences of the rooms cleanliness are totally unacceptable and I apologise for this. The hotel presents our beds with triple sheeting and not a duvet cover to ensure all Manchester is changed during servicing, which is not always the case with properties using duvet covers.
Your review has been brought to the attention of our accommodation manager and housekeeper and they extend their sincere apologies with resect to the substandard bathroom presentation.

Reviewed 12 April 2018 via mobile

We stayed here 4 nights. The check in was excellent and we were very pleased with that. When we got to our room.things went downhill. The floor was grubby and even after I asked someone to come back and clean the floor there was still the wrapper from the last person's shower bottle in the floor of the shower so obviously they didn't do all the floors. The room is big and empty. I think the lack of furniture was perhaps for bike space but it was odd not having two chairs to sit on in the room if we wanted to eat. Room had a fridge tea and coffee facilities.
The main two issues were:
1. The room needed a deep clean. There were layers of dust on surfaces and lots of stains. It was like they scrubbed the sink toilet a d changed the bed but skipped everything else and hadn't seemed to have done it for a very long time. Brown stains in the shower on the curtains were gross. Lots of dust and fingernails etc between bed and bedstand.
2. Noise. I think the bayside rooms would suffer most but because there is a 1cm gap between the door and the floor there is no sound proofing. Even with the bar fill people weren't generally sitting on the astroturf outside the room.noisily so you could get sleep. Until the wedding night. The DJ is only a few metres away from the courtside rooms and is next to the bayside rooms. This means you have no hope of getting any sleep when the wedding is going on with shopping guests and loud music. I don't resent them the wedding obviously but it's a ridiculous place to put a party marquee if you are running a hotel. When checking out the manager said yea I know, it's terrible and I live a few streets away and it's awful. She didn't apologise bit rather said she had done all she could protesting when they started that it would affect the guests. She offered me a couple of drinks vouchers. When you 're paying hundreds a night to stay here you expect to be able to sleep! She said they hold weddings most Thurs Fri Sat and Sun. I would avoid those in case. It really is hell. Sadly I can't add the video of the noise which I took from inside the room.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Your review has been brought to the attention of our accommodation manager and housekeeper and they extend their sincere apologies with respect to the substandard room presentation.
The marque is used for weddings and while the music is turned off after 11.30pm we cannot always control the actively of other guests in the courtyards.