2,831 results
All reviews teak elephant le sirius wild beach golf course thai restaurant grand port sirius restaurant water sports close to the airport kids club porto vecchio tennis courts water skiing our honeymoon main pool deluxe room family apartment
Reviewed 30 July 2017

A lovely hotel only ten minutes from the airport. The runway is at the top of the bay and planes do go close to the resort but there are only a few at a time and we didn't find this an issue at all. We noticed planes left in three blocks, morning, mid-day and evening.
There are a variety of watersports at the hotel, if you are on the AI package many including, waterskiing, sailing, kayaks are all included.
The drinks offered are very good, can highly recommend the cocktails. We liked the food in Le Sirius best for breakfast, lunch and dinner although our children liked the breakfast and dinner at the buffet. We didn't try the Thai as children have to be over 12.
The bay is very well sheltered by the coral reef but you do need to beware of a couple of places where the currents are quite strong.
Hawkers selling different bits and pieces and people offering boat trips are on the beach but they accept a no thank you.
We had a lovely break here, all the family thoroughly enjoyed themselves and great to have so much we could do together.

Room tip: Lots to keep everyone amused
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

It's not the tired rooms, poor facilities, or even the scream of jets as they fly over from the adjacent airport, but the poor management of this hotel that permeates the lack of 5 star service. From the brusque "welcome" at the gate by someone who treats you like an idiot, to the lack of a porter as you pull up to reception, through the ordeal of check in, you realise you're in a resort with people with no interest in delivering an experience, but running a factory, with guests as the product. The food is below par, the waiting at the table service restaurant slow and chaotic. The best food was at breakfast in the self serve buffet. The only reason I wouldn't give this a lower score is the one shining light in the mire in the shape of the young lady (Kaminee) serving around the bar. Always smiling, efficient and clearly in control, she is out if place in this parody. If any real hotels read this review, I suggest you seek her out and hire her! There are much better hotels in Mauritius, at lower cost than this place- avoid.

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2017

The buffet in the main dining area has good down drastically since my previous visits a few years ago.
The quality of the food is good but the selection is poor compared to previous visits. The location is excellent for our needs and the rooms have been upgraded to be very good

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

Shandrani is a stunningly beautiful location on the south east coast of Mauritius just beside the airport ( please don't worry, you might see and hear the aircraft though in my opinion it's a spectacle not an inconvenience)

Three of us were all inclusive.

The hotel and rooms are spread out along an inlet coastline campus that offers stunning scenery and is worth this alone. It's very spacious and there's a faire bit of walking or the staff will be happy to transport you in the myriad of golf buggies!

All rooms have a sea view , in fact we were one of the furthest rooms (565) and had amazing views at the back and front!

Our room had a spacious balcony, air conditioning plus a second single bed for our 12 year old son!
There is a bath, shower separate toilet and dressing room. Plenty of seats and a large TV not that it was on much.
Wi-fi, though is weak!
Bring your own hair drier as the hotel one would hardly blow a candle out ! All other amenities are the usual and good. There are plenty of fresh daily towels.

Restaurants
Main buffet called "Grand-Port" is good range of fresh food with covered, outdoor or beach dining; each evening was pleasant to come dining, though could get boring, so there is Thai, Italian or international cuisine restaurant .

You have to book for the a la carte restaurants; I'd advise book all at once on arrival as the booking system is poor. You need to go to a person in green uniform not far from reception and book .... you might think that's not bad! It was poor in these days of technology ; you have to queue to see the person (15 minutes) then the restaurant might be booked out . Then when you do get one or two availability you get a piece of paper to confirm. I felt this system was poor.

Italian "Ponte Vecchio", run by Dany was the best meal we had in Mauritius! We all felt that, plus the staff service and presentation was to a very high standard. They don't serve pizza or lasagne! Why? This seems to be a common bent in Italian restaurants in Mauritius!

Continental "Le Sirius", at the end of the peninsula .... ah! Because this was closest to us , we had breakfast here which was lovely and fairly varied though the staff would be flexible and obliging if we had requests!
Evening meal was good quality and the menu was cycled so what we ate and you eat could be different!
They had a beach table on request, burned wood and had candles on the beach. You could sit and relax by the pool or on the beach or in the massive disc shaped bar!
I loved it !

Thai restaurant "Teak Elephant".
Amazing atmosphere , fabulous staff and amazing food presentation, though my culinary palette I feel is fairly good, I found some of the food tricky to eat! BUT everyone has a differing taste opinion so I would say, please please visit the Teak Elephant at least once!

If hungry through the day. Snacks are available between 3 - 5pm for very tasty morsels. They'll make you a plate of chips and BIG SECRET just between you and me, there are ice creams behind the bar "just ask the lovely staff and most of the time there is something!"

Staff member "Melody" encapsulated also the spirit of good customer service at the pool side bar near reception; I have said it for Beachcomber as we stayed in La Victoria in North Mauritius, if you could bottle up the excellent customer service in both these hotels and transfer it around the world .... what a better place you'd stay in!

Things to do
Two ski boats constantly on the run for tutorial, with two staff in each boat, safety was not compromised , well done !
Sail boats; laser style, "Oppi" style and catamarans .... plenty of them. The views and experiences from the boats are beautiful .
We took the Shandrani 300bhp speed boat for an hour (£78 or 3450MRupees) .... a must do and life memorable experience especially in the hands of our Mauritian Captain Jean Labelle! Fantastic oratory in his wonderful accent covering ship wrecks and islands! Bring water!

Cycling
I had a wondeful 13 mile cycle with "Patrick" & "Erwin". They took us through sugar cane fields, Tamil Temple, museum exhibiting a "DoDo"(extinct bird) skeleton. We stopped lots of times for photos and a lively market visit. Cycling through Mahebourg, Ville Noir, Ponte d'Esny, Blue Bay!
Well done to Patrick for imparting good informative local stories!

Golf
I hate golf!
BUT surely this will be one of the most impressive scenic golf courses on the planet Earth .... the 6th hole is mind blowing !

We played tennis on one of the ten courts (shut if it rains!)
STOP , did you say RAIN!!!
Ok, it's winter and out of the 15 days we had 3 half days of rain. I think it might rain a little more on South Island , though there's still plenty of stuff to do and the heat comes back with a vengeance!
It didn't stop the golfers ... argh!
One evening it rained and the golf buggies patrolled up and down the brick pavier paths to take residents to and from restaurants!

Would I visit Shandrani again?
YES YES YES

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank ssbrown2015
Reviewed 27 July 2017

Type of holiday family holiday (11 people, 4 rooms, 6 adults, 3 teenagers, 1 ten year old and a 22 month old toddler) all inclusive full board package.
Starting with the positive- the family rooms are really great. Nice size with dressing room and it has two bathrooms. The bay swimming is lovely with calm waters to the front and to the back of the hotel the beach with waves are also great. It has a spa, golf course and 3 different restaurants apart from the main dining buffet.
Room service menu is limited but they were extremely helpful and prompt and told me that if I wanted anything special for the baby, I should phone them and they will prepare it. They also provided milk for the baby, this is great if your baby is still on a bottle and drinking fresh milk.
On full board the fridges and snacks were always well stocked, with refreshments served on the beach (water, cool drink and wine)
The breads, pastries and desserts were really good (this was great and I don't even have a sweet tooth)
The public rest rooms were clean and lovely as was the reception area and the seating area around the piano and pool.
What makes this a 4 star place for me and not a 5 star:
We asked for sea front beach rooms and paid for that accordingly, from the rooms you can just about spot the beach. As we were checking in, we ask the lady that assisted us, she said all the rooms are beach front, she failed to mention that there was not much of a view from the room of the sea.
Upon arrival the check in was a long process and by the time we got to the bar area for food and drinks we were told sorry no food until 6:30 when the buffet opens. When we asked at reception we were then told that you can order room service but it will be charged for Rs400 service fee (taking into consideration that we are on a full board package).
We were told upon arrival should we require to eat at the al la carte restaurants we would need to book.
Upon trying to book the restaurants it was difficult to get booking and the lady that was making the booking told me - that is why we told you to book it the day you came - you can just get a baby sitter. Not 5 star treatment. Children under 12 were not allowed at the Thai restaurant. So we had to split up due to the rules and regulations. So much for a ‘first choice holiday for families’ especially if you want to spend time with your children and not have a baby sitter looking after them.
The dress code rules do no not apply to the children up to 17, this was listed in their information book in the room. But my sister’s daughter was targeted at the bar being told off by one of the bar tenders ‘you need to cover up’. But no other people were being told to cover up and had less clothes on then my niece. Don't make rules that your staff do not adhere to.
There is no ramp access to the main dining area which makes it difficult with a buggy/pram. The Baby’s pram had to be carried up and down the stairs.
The spa was an ok experience, whilst they were extremely pleasant, upon arrival for my treatment, I was given a locker that was empty (no slippers or gown, I had to go back to reception and ask for one), I then had to go back to reception to ask for a new locker as my locker did not lock. I had to tell the therapist about the massage pressure at least 3 times and still didn't get the pressure I wanted. We enquired about henna art at the spa. We were told sorry we don't do it anymore. When I went to the hair Salon for my manicure and pedicure, the ladies there told me that they do have a lady Arthi that does it and she was on course but was available that day to do it at a cost of Rs2000 per person (we booked 2). The next day after having our henna done, my niece found out that the kids club people do the henna for free on kids and when they were offered payment but a friend she met on holiday at the resort, they charged Rs500. What a rip off. I was so upset and disappointed at this turn of events. Again not something that should happen at a 5 star resort.
It rained a lot while we were there, the on evening after dinner my mum and day (both pensioners) had ask for a gold cart to bring them to the room and where told that everyone was busy. Then after about 10 minutes another lady came through and she was being ushered to the golf cart ignoring my parents. The night after that we waited for a gold cart for over 20 minutes and we had the baby with us, when I complained to the manager the put us on a mini bus and still dropped us so far from the room (same distance from the reception) just to get us out of the way - as they were busy with a check out. There were 5 people in reception 1 was on the phone and the rest standing around and two porters/men who kept brushing us off rudely tells us to ‘just wait’. Very poor service.
Ordering drinks in the beach, another display of shockingly bad service. The waiter said he will be back in 5 minutes with the order and never returned. When I mentioned that this was bad service to the lady at the boat house - the bar manager came through and apologized and then told me the person who took our order went on lunch. Omg! I appreciated the apology, but he should have rather not mentioned that the waiter went on lunch.
The food overall was just ok, nothing spectacular. They catered only for one type of customer - those that like beef and pork. They was very little lamb, chicken and vegetarian dishes served. Breakfast was Groundhog Day. Rinse and repeat. We ordered a picnic the day we went on a boat excursion (which we were charged for, again being on a full board package this should have been included). The picnic included a dry cheese sandwich and a roll, a salad and one piece of pineapple. We were charged in excess of Rs3 400 for 2 picnics. The quality and value for money was very poor.
If you don't like the sound of airplane (this did not bother me to much) and the toddler loved the planes, the noise from being too close to the airport can be an aggravation in your day.
The kids club for the 10 year was a disappointment as they kept speaking to him in French, he did not go back after the 2nd day. The is not much to do for the teenagers (no teenage club). So if you have children, you will need to ensure that they can entertain themselves.
Still a good holiday with flashes of poor service!
Overall 4 stars at best!