“Fun, informative, free visit, especially in winter. Good for out-of-towners who want to learn about our area.”

Oneida County Historical Society
Ranked #7 of 12 things to do in Utica
More attraction details
Owner description: With our exhibit gallery, research library, and bookstore, the Oneida County Historical Society preserves the rich heritage of Oneida County and the greater Mohawk Valley, from the Battle of Oriskany to the Boilermaker Road Race! Stop in to discover local treasures. We have area postcards, too! Open Monday through Friday 10-4 and Saturday 11-3. Ample parking behind the building.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 12 March 2017

The historical society, in general, tends to project a stuffy image that appeals to seniors, but I think the Oneida County Historical Society is trying to offer more diversified programs that appeal to a wider audience.
I get there at least once a month for lectures and run into many people I know. The OCHS drew a packed audience a few weeks ago for a lecture on "Adirondack Louie," an Adirondack guide and hermit. They also had a good turnout for a presentation on the Adirondack Railroad, but it was from the unique perspective of a gentleman who discovered his parents had made just one trip to the Adirondacks, in 1946 after his father, a POW, had returned home to the U.S. Another popular event is a version of "Antiques Roadshow," in which local people bring in historic memorabilia and share stories about the objects with the audience.
The only "problem" with the Saturday lectures is that they usually only last an hour and the society closes around 2 p.m., which doesn't give visitors much time to view the exhibits unless they get there earlier--which I recommend.
As a local person, I'm disappointed that their exhibits don't change often enough. On the other hand, the exhibits are good and informative for out-of-towners. The OCHS staff is very small and it depends on volunteers, so I can appreciate the difficulty in changing exhibits. Their book store has a big selection for both locals and visitors.

Date of experience: February 2017
2  Thank UpstateNYUtica_NY

Reviewed 17 February 2017

The exhibits are nicely done and the book store has books you will not find in any other place. It is an easy way to learn about the area.

Date of experience: December 2016
Reviewed 23 October 2016

The Historical Society is a gem. I have many ancestors from the area and I always find new information at each visit. I was thrilled to to discover in one of their manuscript holdings the genealogy of the original settlers of the family that I had been searching for for quite a long time. It was a eureka moment.

I was in the reference center downstairs and was only upstairs in the museum for just a few minutes. The exhibits did look very interesting and well presented.

The staff are always so friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. I don't live in the area anymore but I have just joined the Society to support them and the important work that they do.

Date of experience: October 2016
Reviewed 31 July 2016

Good repository with significant holdings and not just about the local area. Fairly extensive bookstore of local history. The staff is helpful and allows you to look freely at their holdings. They have some Saturday hours in the winter but no evening hours..

Date of experience: April 2016