All reviews bowling alley front porch indoor pool family reunion hiking trails bon fire hole golf course three meals a day the main house on premises living room low key get away outdoor activities long weekend all ages bonfire
Reviewed 29 August 2018

I absolutely loved my stay in the Winter Clove Inn! We stayed from Monday 8/20 until Wednesday 8/22 and the staff was so caring, it felt like we stayed at a friends’ house. The property is surrounded by mountains and has a dreamy view. It was the perfect stay for my family of 4. With 2 little ones, it is difficult for me to go for one place to another (looking for entertainment, food, etc.), but here, you get everything within. Parents actually get to relax! In the bowling alley, for instance, while my oldest one (7) and I played, my little one (2) –supervised by hubby- went for the toys the place provides for toddlers. We specially enjoyed the outdoor pool! We also hiked a bit (get your insect repellent), and the playground. The food here is superb, five stars. Everything is made from scratch. They bake their own bread, and they also make their own maple syrup: delish! You get 3 meals each day, with full service at your table (this helps a lot when your hands are full with the kids). Lovely Shelby, our server, was terrific. She got all our special requirements, including some warm milk for our little one. When checking out, I was surprised they did not charge my little one, as kids under 3 are free. Wow! My 7-year old paid $25 per day, which is a gift. I was also able to buy some souvenirs/ maple in the shop, charged to the room. Very convenient. We are all looking forward to coming back very soon.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Wintercloveinn, Owner at Winter Clove Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2018

Dear Silvia,

Thank you for your recent stay with us at Winter Clove Inn and we are happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay. We take great pride in being a place where families can come to relax, unwind and reconnect with each other and it sounds like that is exactly what your family did.

Reviewed 28 August 2018

Room was clean, comfortable, and really nicely furnished and decorated with antiques. Very relaxing porch with tables and chairs. All the recreation you need at your fingertips including indoor and outdoor pools, 9 hole golf course literally out the door and 100 yards to the right, 10-pin bowling lanes, shuffleboard, and hiking. Achilles heel is the food. Dining room is nice and intimate but the hotel is so small that you only have a selection of two things for lunch and dinner. If you don't like them you are out of luck. My party found the food overly salted/flavored with seasoning salt and onions. Example squash was on the menu but it was cooked with onions and was so infused with onion flavor it was inedible. Perhaps you can ask then to dispense with the seasonings and we will try that the next time we visit or else try to rent the rooms without the meals..

Room Tip: There is no elevator so if you have trouble climbing stairs ask for a room on the second floor (there are not rooms on the first floor).

Greetings,

Thank you for your recent stay with us at Winter Clove Inn and for taking the time to leave a review. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and took advantage of our many amenities.

With that being said I am concerned to hear that you did not enjoy the meals during your stay, this is always the most difficult part of managing Winter Clove as every person has different preferences/tastes/expectation when it comes to the meals. I will be certain to discuss your concerns with our chef, as he is dedicated to making sure all of our guest enjoy the meals during their stay.

Reviewed 24 August 2018

Nestled against the backdrop of the Catskill Mts, this place will let you escape the hustle and bustle of daily life and sit back and relax in the country air. Our family has been returning here for several years for the annual reunion. This was the first year we were able to make the trip. Winter Clove has a nice country charm. We stayed in the main house which has a beautiful wide porch to sit in a rocking chair for a while and catch up on the family happenings. Despite the rain during our visit, we still had fun on the porch where a 2 person band played music in the early afternoon. The next day we were able to hike in the nearby woods and see some beautiful running streams and forest. There is also a 6 lane old-style bowling alley where we had fun with the kids. The rooms are very charming and maintained well. The staff were very accommodating and friendly.The 3 meals each day were also delicious. It's nice not to have to worry about cooking or going out for a change. Overall, it was a great stay and I would recommend others take a visit here. Hopefully we'll be back next year!

Room Tip: Main house first floor is most convenient since this place does not have an elevator.

Greetings,

Thank you fro your recent stay at Winter Clove Inn and for taking the time to leave a review. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. We take great pride in our mountain location and surrounding area and are always happy to hear from guest that enjoy the relaxation of the mountains. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to John, our chef, as compliments are always a welcomed reward.

Reviewed 30 July 2018 via mobile

I will start with positive feedback. The staff was friendly and accommodating and most food was good, except the beef. The outdoor swimming pool was also wonderful.

I could really write alot here negatively, but will condense. The place smells like mold everywhere. The indoor pool stinks really bad and the workout room was worse. All the furniture is filthy and smells, even the cushions on the front porch.

The beds are horribly uncomfortable and the sheets are old and fall off if you roll over in bed. Bottom sheets need elastic.

They had a lovely picnic lunch on Saturday, but ruined it by having a loud band within inches of where we sat. We came to visit with our family, but couldn't hear each other.

There is no coffee in the lobby in the morning. We had to wait until breakfast which is served from 8-9. If you wanted coffee later in the day? Too bad. There is cold water and tea.

Nowhere to get ice, so if you bring your own drinks, you must drink them warm.

Lastly? It was frightfully expensive for two days. It is self inclusive but not worth it. We spent a week in Dominican republic recently and paid only 3000 for the house to accomodate 13 people. At this place? They charve by the person and it cost us 1700 for two days for the five of us. They have a small bar, but the prices of drinks is also high.

We would never return.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank mjparker2016
Wintercloveinn, Owner at Winter Clove Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2018

Greetings,

After reading your review I am very concerned to hear that you and your family did not enjoy your stay with us at Winter Clove Inn. We take our guest feedback very seriously as we are constantly looking to improve and offer our guest the best possible stay. Therefore I can assure you that I will personally look into each of your comments to determine how we can improve and ensure that all of our guest enjoy their stay with us.

Over the past year we have replaced about 75% of our mattresses and plan on continuing to do so until they are all replaced. Since your stay we have also replaced all of the cushions on the front porch as well as started offering coffee throughout the day and an hour before breakfast. I am sorry to hear that you believed our rates to be high, they are listed as per person because they do include three meals a day.

As I mentioned we are dedicated to our guest satisfaction and take all feedback very seriously as it provides us with invaluable information.

I do hope you will give us another chance to prove your last stay was an exception rather than our standard.
Lenore Whitcomb, Owner

Reviewed 28 June 2018

Lovely grounds and things to do at this meals included historic inn. They accommodated our family reunion with grace (we are a large and loud bunch). The food was average (except for an exceptional mac and cheese) and the service needed lots of help. The young people doing the serving were super sweet but they were not very efficient. We had to ask them for common things and several times before we got them. Things like water, condiments, etc. It is a fixed menu so these things should be anticipated. Because this is an old inn, the comfort of the rooms is limited but nice. Things like creaky beds, not enough outlets and poorly running A/C and no screens in the windows to give us the opportunity to open windows. The bonfires were awesome equipt with marshmallows and sticks for roasting. Seating is limited so bring your own camp chair. With all those things, however, our family still had a lovely time with a free challenging 9 hole golf course, hiking trails on the property, quaint bowling alleys, and a pool table. It was only a 20-minute drive to the Katerskill falls hike which was spectacular. Our family plans on returning for more reunions in the future.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Hotchkissa
Wintercloveinn, Owner at Winter Clove Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2018

Greetings,

Thank you for choosing to have your reunion with us at Winter Clove Inn and for taking the time to leave a review. While I am glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us it sounds like there are areas that we could improve and I assure you we will look into your recommendations as we take guest feedback seriously and are committed to constantly improving.

I hope you and your family will return to Winter Clove again and discover that each stay is better than the last as we continuously work to improve our resort.

Lenore W., Owner