“Worst Eggs Benedict EVER!”
Review of Autumn Cafe

Autumn Cafe
Ranked #9 of 122 Restaurants in Oneonta
Price range: US$6 - US$30
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch
Description: The Autumn Cafe has been serving freshly cooked food in downtown Oneonta, New York since 1980. The specials menu changes daily, supplementing a regular menu of burgers, famous sandwiches, power bowls, soups & salads, and specialties. Most breads, desserts and all soups & chips are made from start to finish in the cafe's open kitchen. While the fresh seafood, poultry and meat dishes are known for their taste and creativity, the cafe is well known for it's vegetarian entrees. We also feature hand-crafted cocktails, craft beer, wine, cider, cold brew coffee (20 taps) & more specialty drinks.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stopped for Sunday brunch and considering the number of people there, they must do something well? The Eggs Benedict, however, was the worst meal I've had out in a very long time.

First off, you might NOT notice on the menu that they call it EGG Benedict because you only get one egg (for $12) unless you want pay for a SECOND egg. Pretty absurd, as if most people can't handle two eggs? But what arrived could not even pass for an "Egg Benedict." The eggs were cooked through, the yolks looked hard boiled. And there was no visible hollandaise- really, you couldn't find it! When we asked for more, they said they were out??? It sat on top of an under-toasted half an English muffin. There was a large pile of lukewarm, soggy "home fries" cooked hours before apparently, room temp roasted asparagus, room temp roasted tomatoes, some frisée greens. Nothing on that plate instilled any confidence that they know what they're doing here. We both ordered different "Benedict" style dishes, and they were equally terrible.

My question for the Autum Café would be, if your chef can't pull off a poached egg or hollandaise, why have FOUR dishes on a limited brunch menu featuring them?

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Today is April 4, 2018 - Yesterday my wife and I and our very good friend went to the newly re-opened and renovated Autumn Cafe. To be honest we delayed our visit by a month or so, to give the new owners time to shake out any kinks that they might have encountered.

If they did encounter any kinks in the beginning, they were certainly not in evidence today. The renovation was beautifully done and true to the spirit of the first twenty-seven years of the Autumn Cafe's operation. Everything is lovely and the only changes (other than bringing it up to current code) have been minimal but lovely.

The menu also remains true to the original spirit of the Autumn Cafe and prices remain very much the same (as does the quality of the food and the service). I believe our waitress's name was Cheri (if not I apologize for the error). In any case, her service was very fine.

The bar carries a large assortment of beers on tap (many fine micro brews). There are also a large selection of bottled beers. Additionally, these days the bar is full service. Whiskey is available, as well as wines and beers.

We could not be happier with what the new owners have accomplished. Hopefully, their long, hard work will be fully rewarded.

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

The long wait is over. The Autumn is back. The menu seems smaller than before. There are still daily specials on the chalkboard. There are some interesting new choices and exotic ingredients, but so far I've only gotten a traditional burger, and a BLT. Both were very large. The burger meat had a bit of a "farmy" flavor - perhaps it's grass- fed beef? I don't know. It was perfectly done, though. I asked for medium rare and got it. The BLT has a delicious sundried tomato aoili instead of mayo, and is on thick bread. It comes with very tasty kettle chips, and a spear of pickle that I assume was supposed to be a "half sour" but sadly, tasted like a cucumber that had barely ever met any pickling agent. I love delicate half sours, but this was really disappointingly bland. The whole place has been cleaned, refurbished and repainted and looks very nice. I think it could use a few more pops of color though; I miss the old turquoise color on the columns.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

We used to love the old Autumn Café. We ate there regularly for three decades. Then it was sold to new owners and closed for refurbishment for months on end.
The new-look restaurant (not too different from the old) is attractive, but the food is not as good. And it is beyond sad to see photographs of the old blackboard with interesting Daily Specials on it, posted on sites like Tripadvisor, from days of glory gone by.
Today there is no blackboard, no exotic Daily Specials (which were often pleasingly ethnic) with a nice little house salad thrown in gratis, for lunch. The menu is now a limited retread of old favorites like the Hot Open Tofu, which suddenly costs a disconcerting FOURTEEN DOLLARS. And if you want a salad, expect to pay extra.
New on the menu are "Power Bowls" that sound a lot more exciting than they look, since they are fairly devoid of seasoning. There are confort-food offerings like a lentil-based Shepherd's Pie, topped with a cauliflower crust that is basically a scaldingly hot puree. The waitress gave me a spoon to eat it with. If I had not read that it was a cauliflower crust, I wouldn't have known what it tasted of. Did somebody put that cauliflower in a processor? I think they did.
Other diners seemed to be enjoying plain old burgers and fries, but that's not what I used to go to the Autumn Café for.
As for "Andy's Desserts," all that remains of that talented baker's work are the apple crisp and carrot cake, which we passed on. What happened to the gorgeous cheesecakes?
We will not be rushing back for another meal here. Frankly, you get a tastier lunch at the Yellow Deli, even though it pains me to say that.

2  Thank sylvandiva
Reviewed 6 January 2018

When you decide to eat at the Autumn Café, be surprised with the many unique offerings on their menu. Try to give the menu offerings a try, even if you are not familiar with them! You won't be sorry and most likely, pleasantly surprised.

Menu choices are full of variety and will treat vegetarians to meat lovers.

Pricing is reasonable!

Give them a try...Geoff Smith

Been to Autumn Cafe? Share your experiences!