“Lalibela visit”

Church of St. George
Ranked #1 of 29 things to do in Lalibela
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: the church of st George is a brilliant feats of engineering and architecture and are often referred as the "Eighth wonder of the world".
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We went twice to the church! The first time we visited Bete Giyorgis, it was in the afternoon around 3pm and very few people. We went down to listen to the prayers which were on speaker. The second time, we went at 6am and that was another great experience because you get to see so many people dressed in white around the church.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"video"
"stories"

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The most iconic of all churches. You can easily go back to it after visiting the other ones - so you can see it early morning when the sut wakes it up, during the day or in the afternoon - each time different and there's never enough of it. Just sit and contemplate.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

St George Church is the postcard image that represents Lalibela. Its simple perfection is impressive .To contemplate the vast amount of labour that it took to carve out the building and then dig out the interior volume of stone is mind blowing ! Surrounded by a crowd of white robed worshippers it becomes a very moving experience .
The resident priest will pose for a photograph and then demand money . While paying is acceptable don't agree to his outrageous inflated demands. Afternoon and morning is a good time to photograph the building . A torch assists in seeing the interior . Don't rush the rock hewn churches - its more than just casting an eye over the building , take time to see the procession of worshippers.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I was in lalibela in a very short time just only one whole day but I think that is enough for visiting all 11 churches. Ticket is very pricey but worth it.

As I was there alone and had no plan at all once I arrived Ethiopia, I got a local guide "Abebe" with me to show me cultures, how people live, local restaurant and history of all churches in my short period of stay. He is kind and took me many nice photos. Best thing is the secret hill to watch sunset and the best shiro in town with only 40 birr. so I hope to come back to lalibela again (I contacted him through Abebesf_2007@yahoo.com)