“Great food,service needs work”
Review of Fish and Game

Fish and Game
Ranked #20 of 93 Restaurants in Hudson
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 5 December 2017 via mobile

My husband and two friends visited Fish and Game on Saturday evening. The greeting and coat check is rather disorganized and haphazard. We were kept waiting for 20 minutes even though we were told the table was available.
Cocktails were ordered along with a delicious bread and ricotta appetizer.
The bread came,the food was ordered,then the wine,but the cocktails weren't served. The somellier brought the first bottle and still no cocktails. It was very odd.
Spotty service continued but we all agreed
that the food was excellent, unique and tasty. I must agree that the prices are quite high especially the wine list.
I hope they can get the service more polished. It will make the overall experience much better.

Reviewed 15 November 2017

I knew it would be expensive and had a nice meal. The Chef is from NYC so are the portions. The food was very good and the service was excellent. The old blacksmith shop converted is really cool.

Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

We recently met here with friends for a fun dinner. The menu was adventurous, perhaps trying to be a bit too tricky (some plates being more successful than others). The red wines focused on France, Italy and Spain - we would have liked to have seen a new world selection. The dining room was lively with an open kitchen, and the staff were friendly and helpful. While we all enjoyed the evening, we all had the same remark that the meal seemed somewhat expensive for what it was.

1  Thank FRTraveller1
Reviewed 3 October 2017

When you go to a highly touted restaurant you have certain expectations. You don't expect it to be terrible, an experience that you will recount to others for years to come because it was that bad. Well, here goes. It was our anniversary! I wanted a special, memorable dinner to mark that. We were in a charming little town for a wedding and I chose what I thought would be the nicest place for us, two aging "foodies." We had been warned that the servers were "snooty," but no one had criticized the food.
Well, my husband, the wine maven, takes a quick look at the wine list and wants to leave. I asked him why. He said that the only times you see such obscure wines on a list is when they are hideously overpriced and usually not good wines. The wine prices were ridiculous and he refused to order a bottle. I asked for a glass of white and when I tasted it I thought it was poor and so they brought me another. It was no better. Just dead. I think it was $16 a glass and when we checked to see online what the retail price of the bottle was, it was $18.
The food experience was hardly any better. The menu was unambitious, where was the game? and the only dish I could honestly recommend that we had was a pasta dish. Our salad was gritty, the swordfish was tasteless, and whatever else we had very forgettable.
However, the servers were nice, not snooty, and I thought embarrassed (I'm probably reading into this) about the food and drinks they served. This was a horrid meal and we left after paying a big bill and went into a dive bar where we had $5 glasses of decent wine and a guacamole appetizer.
The chef should be ashamed!

2  Thank Chipperbunny
Reviewed 16 September 2017

We have been here from time to time since they opened, and are happy to report they are as good as ever. As background, we were older than anyone else in the restaurant, and therefore possibly bring a different perspective to this review. Although the place could be described as trendy, it is very good and actually a pretty good bargain.

They used to offer only one menu, a tasting menu with no substitutions (although they did omit some items for a guest of ours who did not eat certain things). Now they have a regular menu, plus the option of a tasting menu. We chose the latter and I think that turned out to be the right decision, and also a bargain.

Starter was a rich bone broth with ginger and turmeric - I assume both were fresh not powdered. It was light and cleansing. Good way to start.

Oysters two ways followed. Half were raw with a bottle of house pickled peppers - sort of a home made Tabasco sauce. Had a bit of richer pepper flavor than Tabasco. Other oysters were warmed and topped with kimchee hollandaise. They were stunning. So many places mess up hollandaise. This was very light and foamy, yet extremely buttery, with the lightest touch added from the kimchee.

Next came bread, which I count as a course in itself because it was a bit more than just bread, and if you order a la carte I think you have to order it. It was a flat loaf of a rich, slightly sour dough whole wheat bread, baked in a flat iron pan and charred under a broiler. With it came a whipped buttery spread with a dollop of chili sauce on the side. Nice, although the chili sauce on the side did share a lot of the same taste as the peppers in the sauce for the oysters. This is the one criticism I would raise: several items repeated elements from others.

Then came some house cured ham with pickled melon. They said the ham was cured for two years, and I am curious how they did it because it was much moister than a prosciutto or spanish ham of such antiquity would be. Served just slightly warm, it had a rich, somewhat gamy flavor. The spiced melon in a cup on the side was perfectly sweet, nearly overripe (good), and slightly warm as well. Spicing was fine, but neither added nor detracted. Tasted more or less like a light sprinkling of cayenne.

First fish course was a half filet of sole (they said Dover), over black trumpet mushrooms with a sliver of celeriac. Delicious. Strong tarragon flavor. Intense flavor in the mushrooms. Celery root was a nice textural touch, and it had been cooked in such a way its typical taste was elusive.

Next (I think) came cured fois gras. Generous portions served with fire-roasted chunks of brioche. This had, I think, some black salt and sumac on it. Sumac didn't do much for it either way. Salt was not quite evenly sprinkled, so some bites were more savoury than others.

After the fois gras came a pasta dish, flat rice pasta squares with a seafood ragout. The pasta was quite tasty and had good texture, though personally I would just as soon have had a semolina based pasta. The seafood ragout was very intense and salty, and while it did not taste Asian, its effect was similar. Given the saltiness and sharpness of the flavors, I would have preferred them over a big bowl of bland white rice. This is a kitchen that is not afraid to salt things, which I like, but in this case maybe it was a bit much.

Then came another fish dish (I think I have the order of dishes right here). This time it was black bass with a puddle of lobster roe sauce and woodear mushrooms, with some fresh fennel on top. This paralleled the structure of the sole dish earlier, with the same flavoring (fennel/tarragon/anise), and the same pairing of fish and fungus. Maybe a result of trying to do a tasting menu along with the a la carte. Swapping the sole and bass might have been a better choice - not sure. While the meal was rich, I might have liked a bit of cream in the lobster sauce to round it out.

First dessert was a small bar of coconut ice cream in a shell of some kind, like white chocolate or something - couldn't tell. This was very good - it didn't taste like coconut flakes, but had a nice, tropical, slightly sour undertone. Bitter berries on side.

Second dessert was unnecessary, and we pretty much gave up eating at this point. It was a bread pudding with some chunks or crispy brioche, whipped dairy, and a very light pudding of some kind, all over some sort of chocolate syrup. This likely was quite good, but at this point we were done, and it came across kind of like cubes of bread with whipped cream and chocolate syrup. I was past appreciating nuance at this stage.

With all this, we drank glasses of one of the house wines. We expected six courses, and ended up with nine, so perhaps economy would have dictated buying a bottle of wine, but the house wine hit the spot. It was a sangiovese/montepulciano blend.

The criticisms above should not detract from the five-start rating I give. Everything was good, the service was attentive, and the atmosphere is luxurious. When you consider the number of items above, the price tag comes out to be a bargain.