Open today: 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Review Highlights
Interesting River School Art Time Capsule

The site is the estate of Frederick Church one of the more famous "River School" artists who... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago
61baberuth
New York City, New York
Great Hudson Valley Site

This site is one of the jewels of New York State. The house is very interesting and guides are very... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Hamradio1957
Pearl River, New York

All reviews frederic church the hudson river school house tour thomas cole catskill mountains landscape painter rip van winkle original furnishings moorish architecture hudson ny fascinating house carriage trails explore the grounds home tour gift shop beautiful site american art
Reviewed 10 October 2017

I was looking for something unique to do with a friend from the Lake George area while I was visiting home in Albany, NY.

I had very briefly been to the Hudson area four years ago and thinking it had a cool liberal vibe for Upstate New York.

I needed to find something to do for the day to entertain my friend and me. I looked on Trip Advisor and discovered Olana was a mere hour drive from where I was staying.

I read that tickets book up fast, but I was lucky to secure our tour tickets online the night before we went since it was for a Friday. Tickets for adults are $9 and you are provided with a 1 hour guided tour. We reserved the tickets online for free and paid for them at the gift shop when we arrived.

Our guide was good and told us some great stories about the history of the home and its owners. I'm not an art connoisseur by any means, but I did love seeing the paintings inside the house and learning about the story behind some of them.

I visited Turkey in 2013, so I have an appreciation for Middle Eastern style and art. The house has a good amount of this, which I really enjoyed.

I especially loved the architecture and design of the exterior of the home. It must have been amazing to live in this gorgeous house with the beautiful views of the Hudson River. I love how the house appears to have been specifically designed to capitalize on the sweeping views of the river and the mountains.

The grounds of the house are beautiful! It was chilly the day we went, so I wasn't up for wandering the grounds, but there seem to be some great walking trails. If it had been 65 and sunny, I would have loved to explore more.

The city of Hudson itself is really cool and has a great NYC vibe to it. I myself really appreciated all of the signs displayed by the shops about hope and messages of tolerance. It's a great little city with lots of art galleries and funky restaurants.

Date of experience: April 2017
Reviewed 9 October 2017

Go do this! what a great experience- worth it- also took the electric carriage tour of the grounds... they are expansive

Date of experience: October 2017
1  Thank autumn c
Reviewed 7 October 2017

I'm a huge Thomas Cole fan, so I had to see Olana. Bright and colorful mix between an art museum and a history museum.

Date of experience: June 2017
Reviewed 3 October 2017

I have little patience for being herded through these dusty old estates with all of their re-assembled attempts at authenticity, but Olana is a place to itself, astonishingly beautiful in its setting and vividly immediate and authentic in nearly every way. Nearly everything in the house is original, the guides are patient and knowledgeable, and every new room and each new vista is breathtaking, fascinating and a reflection of a truly unique and unusual mind. A day on the grounds alone would be worth the trip. Most of the other estate-museums on the Hudson are merely piles to commemorate someone's massive fortune, but Olana is a work of genius and beauty that is very much worth the journey.

Date of experience: August 2017
Reviewed 27 September 2017

Olana is a restored property of Frederic Church, the Early American Artist who used his talents and influence to foster an art style in his own lifetime.

The house is interesting inside and out. Heavily influenced by Persian design, it is unique in it's appearance and architecture. I enjoyed viewing the house and walking around the grounds. There are some excellent views of the Hudson Valley, which were emphasized by Church's landscape design on the property. It was well worth the cost and I recommend it if you like historical sites.

Date of experience: September 2017