“Hell on earth (in a good way)”

Spookers Haunted Attractions
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Karaka
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Spookers is a live entertainment experience in which the victims (you!) move through theatrically themed Haunted Houses, and outdoor environments decorated by sets, props and live scare-actors. As you walk through the attractions you will come across unexpected visual, tactile, and sound effects intended to scare the yell out of you. Are you tired of the mundane? Need some excitement in your life? Spine chilling, blood spilling, thrilling, terrifying horror will grab hold of you from start to finish. From the blood curdling butcher to the so-sad babies and other tortured souls with their voices seeping through the floorboards; just three steps into Spookers Haunted House could have you begging for mercy and sprinting for the door! Disturbia takes 'three dimensional' to another level. Step into the world of blacklight loving freaks! Tight spaces, loud noises and the fast pace will test your limits. Psychedelic clowns take "clowning around" to their irrational happy place. Don't hide, because they'll find you! Giggling, cackling, sending chills through your body. Fear takes over, you can't move. Bright lights, flickering all around you…. walls closing in on you. Disturbia is thoroughly disturbing.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 4 March 2017 via mobile

This place was ridiculously good. I've never enjoyed being so terrified. All my friends came out raving about it. Would go back again in a heartbeat. An amazing high octane experience leaving you jumping at almost everything even after you've left!

spookersnz, Owner at Spookers Haunted Attractions, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2017

Thanks so much for your great review. We are really pleased you enjoyed yourself so much, and appreciate your time telling everyone. Thanks

Reviewed 16 February 2017

this was so bad i could hardly walk, ad held another s hand recommend it if like scar yourself well put together and one conjuers up all sorts of rights to point that shake or i did.
Not recomended for the faint hearted. the place is in country and it as connections with all horrible methings for people locked away, so this helps with the frights also

1  Thank _samanasnz
Reviewed 24 January 2017

We were really looking forward to this but we all hated it. From the TV ad it looks like there are wide areas to walk in, scarecrows, bright fences and bright colours but it is just corn. It is really hard, we spent 45 minutes trying to find our way through and gave up, retraced our steps and went out the entrance (this was with a 13 & 11 year old). I was told it was pram friendly when I purchased the tickets, I could have used my front pack but once we were in it I was stuck; it was bumpy, narrow and even with my really skinny pram I couldn't turn it at dead ends and ended up having to carry my baby the whole time. The staff at the café were nice but the tables were dirty even though we were the only customers. My kids called it the boring, impossible maze.

spookersnz, Owner at Spookers Haunted Attractions, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2017

Hi Kim,
Firstly I would like to say I am so sorry you and your family did not enjoy your visit to the maze, and I am also sorry that you felt that you were misled. We do have the scarecrow but usually only on special holiday weekends. When that advert was made up, it was out of season and there were no maize plants (corn)so the walls were digitally generated to give the appearance of a maze. We always plan the maze so that on average it takes people 50 minutes to complete. Any shorter and they feel as though it is not a "proper" maze.
All groups are given a flag to wave for help or just to get a clue, and there is also the option to buy a map for $2, and get a full refund if you don't open it. We try really hard to ensure that people do not feel trapped in there, or that they can't get out.
I can honestly say that we have many prams go through, and also wheelchairs. It is a farm crop, and because it is planted new each year with a new completely different maze pattern, with new paths, the humps and hollows made by the contracting machinery will never be smooth. It would be impossible to achieve that, and the rural atmosphere is a huge draw to many visitors, and they see it as part of the experience.
I hope your children were able to enjoy the water slide and other things there.
I have spoken to our food and beverage manager about the tables, and I apologise for that.
I would like to offer you and your children who are 8 years or older some complimentary tickets to the Taste of Terror haunted attraction for children if you would like to come back and experience what else we have here. This might be more appealing to your children, and they would have the choice to ask their tour guide to make their experience either scary or more behind the scenes. Please email me at info@spookers.co.nz or phone 09 2919002 if you would like to accept this offer.
Kind regards, Beth

Reviewed 17 January 2017

If u enjoy running and being frightened a few times during the night, this is such great fun. Do take a torch for the Freaky Forest, as it opens after 8pm or when it gets abit darker. The experience is well worth it. Heaps of parking. We did Freaky Forest, Haunted House and Disturbia. My favourite was the Forest, then Disturbia, that was also great fun. Its defintely a must to visit

Reviewed 14 January 2017

Kingseat Hospital is a former psychiatric hospital that is considered to be one of New Zealand's notorious haunted locations. Spookers is in the nurse headquarters. Its scary even just arriving. The Attractions are very cool they change it up every few seasons, next time you go its not the same. Put yourself in a horror movie now & enjoy! Highly recommend.