“Casual, Come as You Are with Homestyle Meals”

The Shamrock Bar & Grill
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Gabriels
Price range: US$2 - US$19
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 19 May 2016

We love a casual night out at The Shamrock! Lots of homestyle menu items, and especially great in the winter when a Shepherd's Pie or a Reuben Grill offsets the frigid North Country air.

Reviewed 29 March 2016

This is a terrific family run hometown diner with a plus.... they have a full bar( and a fantastic cook). Don't expect fast and furious, homemade, takes time. It's a laid back fun place for a launguous meal and conversation. Love The Shamrock!!

Reviewed 10 January 2016

Best wings hands down for 100 miles. Last summer we went to the Buffalo Wing Fest, in western NY and I can tell you . . . these wings can stand up to the best !
We love to have a beer while you wait, enjoy the locals, and or, call in an order to pick up. Either way you will love them!

Reviewed 15 October 2015

THE ABSOLUTE WORST RESTAURANT EXPERIENCE OF OUR LIVES!!!
This was our 4th time at this establishment. We were not new there, and had previously experienced poor customer regard towards us, but had let it slide. We had also previously been served cold fries that were predominantly black, hard dredges from the bottom of the frying basket, cooked many times over. We also let that event go as “just an off night”. Apparently there are many “off nights” there, and apparently extreme rudeness is just par for the course. They somehow get away with treating their clientele like crap, serve sometimes lousy food, and keep getting regular business and mysteriously raving reviews online!?
There IS something this restaurant strives to do (that we noticed) each time we’ve been there; and that is to keep serving alcohol to obviously intoxicated individuals, and then send them out onto the roadways to likely kill others or themselves. They want you to drink as much as you can (or can’t) hold while there, and make much of their money doing that. A couple weeks ago we watched the owner guide a drunk (who she knew by name) out the front door, and then, after that man plowed into us a couple times, teetering around, not even noticing he was bumping into people, he drove away! Tonight we saw more of the same, as we waited an hour for food that never came…
We were cold and hungry when we came in tonight, but in good moods. We live locally, and had really hoped to make this joint a regular place to eat for us. We pay a whole lot of taxes on 3 houses and 274 acres in Franklin County and live just 3 miles from this little dump. We had hoped the staff would eventually recognize us as local, and maybe treat us with better manners. NOT to be, and never will be. Gaining or even keeping customers is NO priority at this restaurant. If you want to be talked down to, and wait an hour for easy food (when they’re not even busy), go ahead.
Our earnest suggestion is: DON’T eat at the Shamrock unless you have A LOT of time and want your dinner with plenty of undeserving, disgustingly RUDE ATTITUDE! We ordered a fish sandwich and a burger, both with fries. 45 minutes later (we’d been there an hour), I’d finished my beer, and my wife had finished her cider, and the waitress asked if I wanted another beer. Getting very hungry and having seen other tables who had ordered long after us be served food and finish it, I said “No thanks… I’d just like my dinner”. Most of the tables were empty. We hadn’t ordered a complicated or elaborate dinner. I was getting slightly impatient wondering where our food was. A normal waitress would have said something like; “I’m sorry. The chef takes her time here. I’ll go check on your dinner.” Instead, our waitress stuck her hands on her hips, gave me an indignant stare, and said loudly; “SERIOUSLY?! All our meals are prepared one at a time and the menu says that they take at least half an hour.” (It does NOT say that!)
Shocked, after the waitress left my wife and I started discussing what in the world was going on. Apparently our waitress overheard us and returned, much more intent on arguing with us than on smoothing things over, and certainly displayed no interest in bringing us any food. I was in no mood for participating in an argument. I just wanted my meal, so I asked her to leave us alone. She said that she would send the owner out. We said; “Please do.” The owner never did appear, but our waitress again returned, clearly bent on driving us out. She succeeded in doing so. When I asked how much we owed for our drinks, she sneeringly told us to “forget about it”.
It’s a popular restaurant in the S.L. area, and apparently with no desire to become more popular. They’ve got their older, ageing clientele who are happy there, rudeness be hanged; “we’ll get drunk and forget about it (if we make it home alive”). It’s seems that we had already somehow run afoul long before I had dared to ask for our sandwiches more than 45 minutes after ordering them.. When we had ordered, we had asked for our fries to be brought out as soon as they were done, even if the sandwiches weren’t ready, because we like our fries good and hot (& had previously bad fries there, but didn’t mention that!). Our waitress had told us that we could send them back if they weren’t acceptable, but the cook would not send them out ahead of the meal! That seemed like a strange response to a reasonable request, but we didn’t think anything more of it. After her “Seriously?!” response, our waitress informed us that when she had put in our orders she had told the cook that we wanted our food "done just so”. Apparently that request had been enough to get us branded as some black list “problem customers” who were better shoved out the door an hour after they came to eat, than ever being actually served!
Over half the tables were empty when we walked in. When we arrived (well after dark on a cold night), there were women (presumably the staff) sitting at a picnic table out behind the building, smoking and drinking from wine glasses…
Our order consisted of a fish sandwich, a burger, and two orders of fries. People who arrived after us had been served food and finished it. It wasn’t until 45 minutes after placing our order that we expressed any question as to where our food was. At that point, the waitress went out of her way to antagonize us as much as possible; lecturing us, scolding us, shouting at us, and of course driving us out of the restaurant without ever bringing us any food!
We’ll be opening a business in the area soon and plan to treat our customers with far more good old fashioned courtesy than this restaurant is capable of ever showing. We hope to actually encourage repeat business rather than go out of our way to discourage it, as these women do! But if these folks come into our establishment, they can expect to be treated about the same way they treated us!
If you are hungry- DO NOT ATTEMPT TO EAT AT THE SHAMROCK!! If you want to be treated with any respect as a paying customer should be; DON'T EAT at the Sham! If you’re thirsty however, they’ll be happy to get you good and slogged and then send you back onto the road!

9  Thank B H
Reviewed 25 August 2015 via mobile

Hometown, locally loved bar and eatery. Everything made from scratch, including some awesome pies. Good selection of bottled beers, including regional craft beers. Sandwiches and burgers made on homemade rolls. Specials every day. And Tucker Taters!!