Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Elisabeth R
San Francisco, California

NOT a hotel for travelers

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 27 Aug 2021
The listings for this place are TOTALLY misleading - this is not a hotel for travelers. It seems to be a standard SRO/ welfare hotel. I was visiting from out of state, had a very sick friend in St Barnabas Hospital, was unfamiliar with the area - and booked a room on the assumption that this was a "real" hotel.

One of the nights stayed there I was awakened around midnight by someone banging on my door - and then unlocking the door and walking into my room. When I screamed the person said: "I was just checking to see if this room was occupied" and left. This was absolutely terrifying and when I tried to complain about it at the front desk I got nowhere because most of the people you deal with at the front desk don't speak English. You also have to (try to) communicate with them through a plexiglass window.

My room had no chain on the door - and one of the residents of the hotel told me that he always tries to get "one of the rooms with a chain on the door" so people won't walk into his room in the middle of the night. Discovering that some of the rooms had chains on the doors - and some didn't - was beyond infuriating.

Every single time I walked through the lobby someone was screaming at the front desk people. The last morning I was there a woman in the lobby was on the phone with the police, screaming at the top of her lungs about conditions at the hotel.

Besides the incident with someone entering my room, and feeling unsafe the whole time I was there I was also charged for an extra night. I have been attempting to get a refund and it is virtually impossible. I gave up on trying to communicate with people at the front desk and resorted to sending emails to the email address provided by the hotel. I have gotten NO response to the 4 emails I've sent in the past week.

This seems like a totally illegal operation that should be shut down. I feel very sorry for people who, like me, have booked a room there under false pretenses.
Date of stay: August 2021
    $325
5.4 km from Hotel Ninety Five Fordham / St. Barnabas Hospital
Fitness centre
View more hotels in Bronx
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 August 2021

This place is a total flea-bag hotel. We were greeted by the homeless guy hanging out front. The big NO REFUNDS sign should have been enough to make us skip out, but it was late and we are urban, so we figured we could handle it.

I was lucky that I had earplugs, but my poor boyfriend got no sleep at all - the noise from the "residents" at 2am was unbelievable. This isn't a hotel for travelers, it's more like a long term rental or permanent home for some people, who seem to be real night owls. I wouldn't be surprised to find it's a hooker hotel or something.

They really ought to not mingle the travelers with these permanent residents, we were exhausted and had a hard time staying awake after seeing the Kusama show at the Botanical Gardens. What a nightmare.

Date of stay: July 2021