Tremisana Game Lodge
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Balule Nature Reserve
See available hotels
Toro Yaka Bush Lodge(Balule Nature Reserve)
Hippo Pools Resort(Hoedspruit)
View Hotel
Kurhula Wildlife Lodge(Balule Nature Reserve)
  • Pool
Garonga Safari Camp(Makalali Private Game Reserve)
  • Breakfast included
Kapama River Lodge(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
  • Breakfast included
Kapama Buffalo Camp(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
View Hotel
Kapama Southern Camp(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
View Hotel
Kapama Karula(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
  • Pool
All reviewsviva safarisday safarisunset drivemarc's treehousebush walkkruger parkbush braaithe breakfast arearehabilitation centreguest housemorning walklong drive from johannesburginsect repellentboma dinnerstewbalule reservewalking safari
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Really enjoyed or 5 days there. Well orgaised trips to make the most of the game park experience. Friendly staff and guides.. Accommodation was in good condition and beds made up dailty (amonst our clutter). Food was good and wholesume - but seemed to have a 3 day rotations - and being there 4 nights - we had the same menu twice.
We would go back there again!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2012

We did a three night/four day safari based at Tremisana Lodge with Viva Safari and it was a brilliant experience. The lodge is a really nice compromise between a luxury safari and budget camping. If you are looking for the height of luxury then it isnt for you but I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for good value safaris. The rooms are very clean and well cared for, the bedding was very nice which I think is important!

There was plenty of food and it was nicely done (I could eat those soups all day long) and the staff were really pleasant and friendly. It's all nice homecooking style and the one piece of feedback I would give is to not ahve such a big gap between the cold and hot breakfast.

The guides were absolutely brilliant, they clearly care about their surroundings and are incredibly knowledgeable and friendly. A special mention has to go to Bongani - without his experience and understanding of wild animal behaviour we wouldnt have witnessed what is one of the most thrilling experiences I've ever seen (a cheetah/lion/leopard battle!) Bongani - no need to retire yet your eyesight is brilliant!!! Of course you can never guarantee seeing anything on a safari but we saw plenty on the Balule reserve as well as in Kruger. Make sure to ask your guides questions about the landscape, trees and birds (I cant speak for other gudies but Ashley and Wes know lots) as if there are no animals around they know some really interesting stuff.

The early starts are tough but ultimately if you are going on safari to see animals then you've got to do it! There is quite a lot of driving but again you just have to be prepared for that unless you can afford to pay big bucks to stay right in the middle of the action.

I would highly recommend Tremisana Lodge and Viva Safari.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
VivaSafaris, General Manager at Tremisana Game Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2012

Hi

Thanks for the great review ! I am pleased that you had such a good time with Viva Safaris.
We have taken heed of your comment re delay in bringing out the hot food. With immediate effect, the hot food will be cooked in front of the guests at the Lapa. This will save time in bringing out the food from the kitchen.
Thank you for your constructive criticism.
Kind regards
Piero
General Manager, Viva Safaris

Reviewed 26 October 2012

As a mature ( 60 year old ) couple, we would like to encourage people in that age group to consider a trip with Viva Safari’s. If you love people, enjoy the outdoors, are looking for a “REAL” African experience and can manage without 5 star frills for a week, then this is guaranteed to be your trip of a lifetime. Tremisana Lodge is comfortable, Patrick and Bongani and the other guides go out of their way to ensure that you see as many animals as possible, whilst also giving loads of interesting info about all things African. Delina is a perfect hostess, the food is nourishing and the warm freshly baked breakfast muffins are legendary!! The dawn river walk, anxiously peering at the slithery trails made by crocodiles, whilst being accompanied by two good looking armed gentleman was definitely a highlight for her. Tshukudu Game Lodge is an unforgettable experience, you may be lucky enough to be offered the wonderful experience of stroking a wild cheetah, the highlight for him!!! We also stayed in Marcs’ Tree House; yes, they do have some with basic ensuite facilities for those of us whose bladders are past their prime! We now have new friends from China, Belgium, Scotland, Canada and America, thanks to our meals around the bonfires.
This will be the best value for money African experience that you could ever have, with people who know what they are doing and can alter the itinerary to suit your individual wishes. Viva Safaris also offer a transport service from Johannesburg Airport, which is reliable and very convenient.
As Aussies who have dreamed of our safari holiday for many years, this could not have been more perfect! Thank you so much to all at Viva Safaris.

Merrawyn and Lindsay Williams

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lindsay W
Reviewed 23 October 2012

This was my first safari package and it was a truly memorable enchanting experience.
The total cost was $1100 which included everything. I chose to fly from Johannesburg to
Phalaborwa as I was limited by time, which added about $350. I thought this was great value.
Many reviewers have commented on finding the long drive from Johannesburg to the Lodge tiring
Tremisana Lodge met my expectations (just like the website). The accomodations were clean and
comfortable. My room had a view of the waterhole - I saw a jackal, wildebeest, a family of warthogs, vervet monkeys and a variety of birds: guinea fowl, starlings, hornbills.
The first day, we went on a sunset drive to Tshukudu which was one of the highlights, seeing a roaring lion about 30 feet from the vehicle.
The next day was spent in the Kruger Park with a knowledgeable guide. There was an amazing sight of a herd of more than twenty giraffes galloping. I captured that on video - it only lasted about ten seconds - a sight to beholden! Made up for not seeing leopard, rhino or hyenas.
Also saw a hippo out of the water foraging - never saw this before.
The bird life is also amazing: vultures, eagles, maribou stork.
The breakfasts under the lapa (thatched roof) overlooking the water hole with animals was amazing. The dinners were a great place to meet the other guests to exchange stories and simply getting acquainted with them. I met some interesting people from many parts of the world.
The Lodge staff were very friendly, courteous. The kitchen staff was superb. When I told them that I was vegetarian, without being asked, and not expecting it, they made a special vege dish for me - "sosaties".
The last day, we went for the early morning walking safari which was a unique, and amazing
experience, indescribable. Experience it yourself to know what I'm talking about.
I would definitely recommend Viva Safaris for a truly memorable experience at great value.
I will definitely go back to Tremisana!

Room Tip: Room with a view of the water hole.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank rashid c
Reviewed 16 October 2012

A friend and I just completed a 6-day safari package with Tremisana in October. To put it succinctly, everything exceeded our expectations.

In our first 26 hours with Viva, we had already spotted the Big Five. Over the rest of the trip, we ended up spotting 27 animals and 25 birds. You can get so close to the animals it will make your hair stand on end. We have video of a male lion roaring, at night, about 15 feet from our jeep!

The accomodations are clean, the food is good, and the staff really bend over backwards to see that you enjoy your experience. While they can't guarantee you'll see every animal you hope to, they certainly put forth their best effort to make it happen. Can't say enough about Wesley, Boongani(sp?), or Dominic, our three guides during our time there. They are a wealth of info about the animals you see, and have amazing abilities for spotting animals. Many times these guys would see an animal that all of the passengers failed to spot!!

The vehicles are pretty well used, and could use some work, but none of the vehicles failed us on any of our trips. The guides are as excited about finding animals as you are, which is a pleasant experience, too.

Viva also arranged a 3 day safari for us with another lodge which had an elephant safari. They arranged transport to and from the other lodge for us.

Everyone we talked with, whether they stayed at Tremisana, or the Treehouse Lodge, thoroughly enjoyed their trips. If you're looking for an affordable safari company which delivers the goods, this is the one. You can spend considerably more at other lodges, and not see any more animals than we did. The second lodge we stayed at was much more upscale than Tremisana, but my buddy and I both agreed we preferred Tremisana over the other lodge. If seeing the animals is your true focus, save yourself some money, and give Viva a try.

A couple of things to be aware of regarding Tremisana: The atmosphere is pretty laid back here, the bar isn't always attended, so you have to find Mama Alice to get drinks from the bar. Dinner was sometimes a little late, but that gives you a little more time to relax after your long safari day.

All in all, I am definitely returning to Tremisana with my wife in a couple of years.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends