“No entusiasm at the european meeting point”

Hieu's Family Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 338 Restaurants in Phu Quoc Island
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Hieu's Family Restaurant will be closed TEMPORARILY for the "off-season" from April 22 until September 1. We look forward to serving guests again in September.
Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

Funding the spot with the many fine reviews was a quite disappointing experience.

When er arrived to a Fullrate restaurant, this seemed to be a european hideout, All using the same Media in order to get a original and authentic experience.

From we sat down until we took a menu card ourself we waited 10 minutters. Further 10 minutes waiting time a very tired man took our order. The food was served by another persons with No Words, No smile and No entusiasm.

The food it self was quite OK. Shark with pineable and cucumber was a interesting combi.

We concluded, that All the fine reviews was keeping this restaurant so busy, that the family just did not have the time to provide the unique experience we were looking and hoping for.

Christina M, Guest Relations Manager at Hieu's Family Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

I am sorry you had a disappointing experience at Hieu's restaurant. The owners work very hard. They have tried to hire help, but have not been able to find good/reliable employees on the island. It is a problem for them. Next November, my husband and I will be in Phu Quoc to help them. We have known them for many years and we like to help. I hope that our presence will make the service a little faster and will take some of the strain off Phuoc and Hieu -- the husband and wife. We were not able to go this year, but I try to help by responding to reviews and questions about the restaurant from the U.S. Maybe we will see you in Phu Quoc next year. I hope you will give the restaurant another try.

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

Visited this place based on the many positive reviews. Service was terrible - staff ignored us when we arrived, waited trying to get their attention for five minutes before seating and cleaning a table ourselves. 15 minutes later, despite many attempts to speak to staff and get their attention we had received no menus so again got those ourselves. No staff came to take our order, had to go up to the kitchen area to place it (some guests had table service, mostly, although others looked equally perplexed at being completely ignored). The food was average, certainly not worth the bad service. Took 30 minutes to arrive. I don't think it is too much to expect somebody to acknowledge your arrival and take your order at a restaurant!

I am sorry you had such a bad experience at Hieu's restaurant. The one lady who does most of the cooking is the wife of the owner -- the man who takes the orders. Unfortunately she has had some problems with her heart and has had to go to HCMC for medical reasons. If she was not at the restaurant, that is probably the reason you were ignored and waited so long for service. The owners of the restaurant work very hard and have not been able to find good help on the island. It is a problem for them. Next November, my husband and I will be in Phu Quoc to help. We have known the family for many years and enjoy helping them. I hope that our presence will make the service a little faster and will take some of the strain off Phuoc and Hieu -- the husband and wife. Maybe we will see you there again next year. I hope you will give the restaurant another try.

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

Great restaurant. Tried a few different dishes and they were all great. I do think they adjusted the dishes a little bit to the Western standards (for instance boneless chicken, little bit different than I've eaten in small towns in this country) but still very taste.

1  Thank Gitta K
Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

The location is a bit off like 150 m through an alley. The food and prices were great tho and very serviceminded people.

1  Thank Fgsson
Reviewed 20 March 2018 via mobile

Really good food, the coconut curry is really good, fresh grilled seafood and good prices. We were back here a few times

1  Thank Maria M