Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
US$248
View deal
Hotels.comUS$248
TravelocityUS$248
PricelineUS$265
eDreamsUS$265
Agoda.comUS$263
Orbitz.comUS$248
All reviews royal natal park horse ride spectacular views stayed longer guided walk each morning mountain lodge fly fishing beautiful place spent nights drakensberg walks accommodation setting horses lindsay hike
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 May 2022

Absolutely perfect!!!
Wonderful scenic environment
Beautiful setting and surroundings
Wonderful staff and management
Superb accommodation, food, staff, venue and obviously location!!!!!
Had a wonderful and memorable 3 day stay

Room tip: All suites have superb vies of the Amphitheater
Date of stay: April 2022
Lindsay Du Plessis, Owner at Montusi Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2022

Ah, how you've made our day!
Thank you for choosing Montusi and for loving it.
It was a great pleasure to host you.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 16 April 2022 via mobile

We visited again after 3 years and Tage place is even better now. Rooms, Food and setting are top.
We will definitely come again.
We had a familiy Suite - very good.
Especially the View and the tranqulity are Superb.
Hiking is a must there

Date of stay: April 2022
Trip type: Travelled with family
Lindsay Du Plessis, Owner at Montusi Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2022

Ah, what a lovely review! Thanks so much for sharing. We are delighted that you found the lodge improved. We look forward to seeing you again for more hiking...and good food!
Kind regards,

Reviewed 22 February 2022

My wife and I just returned from a nice long weekend at Montusi with our young daughter. The spectacular views are an easy drive from Gauteng even with unexpected delays. In this case we very much appreciated the resort communicating with us so actively when a major accident temporarily closed the Pass around Sterkfontein Dam. While the environment is world class and the lodging very nice, my wife and I feel that the responsive and engaged management and staff have ensured our positive stays.

And as we both mostly sit at desks each day, being able to explore the property's well-marked hikes to remarkable caves and waterfalls (we haven't yet summited Montusi Mountain) while also fitting in swimming and horses for our daughter make for wonderful days. This trip we also headed to Royal Natal for midday hiking and swimming, which was an easy drive from the resort.

Seeing the fauna on the property is also exciting for each of us.

I had to promise cartoons in the car, and a return to Montusi, before our daughter could be convinced to leave for home.

Date of stay: February 2022
Trip type: Travelled with family
Lindsay Du Plessis, Owner at Montusi Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2022

Hi Brian,
Thanks so much for your lovely review. We so appreciate you returning to us. We loved having you explore and enjoy the surrounding environment. Your little girl's enthusiasm for all things is infectious:)
We hope to see you again soon - hopefully without any road delays!
All the best,

Reviewed 15 February 2022

Peaceful and relaxing stay with the option to be adventurous and active if you want to. Loved everything, worth the 4 hour drive, worth every cent. It's a beautiful lodge but the staff is really what made my trip special. Friendly service with a smile. Doesn't hurt that the food is amazing too.

Date of stay: February 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Lindsay Du Plessis, Owner at Montusi Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2022

Dear Mbali,
What a treat to read your review!
We are so happy you had a wonderful Montusi Experience and hope to welcome you back again soon.
Thanks so much for sharing this.
All the very best,

Reviewed 6 January 2022 via mobile

This was our 3rd visit.we noted a gradual indifference.I suppose we visited during Covid when tourism took a knock and there was need to be extra nice to guests. Sad in that there was not even a cursory greeting.The lodge itself is very comfy and squeaky clean.I aske for some fruit yoghurt for the kids.no response. Drove to Bergville to purchase.For 6 nights we paid 65.000 rand but yoghurt was a problem.for a non pork/beef person chicken was the staple diet.fish was served only once yet I heard the chef saying to a group of foreign white guests that he could make what they wanted.on one morning the request for 5 waffles materialised but at great inconvenience it appeared.The owners had guests who drove recklessly in the complex
Drew this to the attention of the manager but no apology yet .we could have been knocked over that night.The breakfast team is ultra slow and easily confused . seemed ill equipped to deal with a family of 6.The wi.fi is a total curse.no reception most of the time
No aircon....reason about carbon footprints is not acceptable especially during very warm nights.overall a great disappointment

Date of stay: January 2022
1  Thank vimnaidoo54
Lindsay Du Plessis, Owner at Montusi Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2022

Dear Mrs Naidoo,
Thanks for choosing to visit Montusi again.
We hugely appreciate your ongoing support. I am terribly sorry that we let you down on this visit.
I'm afraid that my accident on the 30th of Dec (your arrival day) definitely shook our operational ability. It shouldn't have impacted your experience, but having Mic and I removed so suddenly in the middle of the Festive Season left a management vacuum.
While Cath and Andrew did their best to cover all our responsibilites (both at the lodge and in our personal lives), they did miss the opportunity to talk to you directly about the yoghurt and speeding car, leaving our manager Catherine to be the go-between:
You requested strawberry yoghurt mid-morning on Saturday the 1st of Jan and then at midday on Sunday the 2nd you sent us a message through our website enquiry form that you had already purchased it. The message was up-beat in tone and so we did not know that you were disappointed.
The reckless driver was not a guest of ours (as owners) - they were members of the public. It has highlighted the need for a speed limit sign at the entrance of the complex and we have put that on the list for this month's missions.

Chef Russell would've made you fish every night, had you requested as much. We were not aware that you would've liked more fish. When I chatted to you upon my return from hospital on the 2nd, I see now that you, very kindly, didn't want to burden me with your requests, but I so wish you had. We could easily have added fish to your menus, rather than just doing the vegetarian options.
The request for waffles for the birthday breakfast was a tricky one as we don't have a proper waffle machine at the lodge - this isn't one of our usual offerings. Thankfully we managed to get a waffle machine in time and produce the birthday waffles.

I am very sorry that we as the owners weren't more available to you and that when we were we didn't pick up your dissatisfaction. At the end of the day the miscommunication cost us both.

Please accept my apologies and best wishes for 2022.
Lindsay du Plessis