“Delicious...will be back”

Buona Sera Ristorante & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Buona Sera Ristorante & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 158 Restaurants in Red Bank
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 16 October 2018 via mobile

I was here this past wknd for a wedding rehearsal dinner. The food was so good. We had an antipasto plate, calamari, eggplant parm, pasta pomodoro, tortellini carbonara, pork, sole, mashed potatoes, and many mini Italian desserts. Service was great, as soon as you were finished, your plate was cleared. Drinks were brought out very quickly as well considering the size of our party. This was my first time here, but will definitely be back.

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed 15 October 2018 via mobile

Went after a 3pm show at The Count Basie Theater, an easy walk around the corner from the theater. We walked to the small bar near the front door and sat down next to a dirty mop and yellow bucket between the entrance and the first seat at the bar. We attempted to order and were told by the bartender that they had a leak last night and could we move to the bar in the back dining room. The walkway there was full of three dirty trash cans which we passed again to go to the Ladies room, which was also filthy and smelled. This was only 5:15 pm, the beginning of the evening.

The bar where we sat was filled with dirty dishes and glasses, trash, racks of glasses , etc. There were wet and dirty mats from the front wet bar on the floor behind us. It was dirty and smelly and we were not enjoying our drinks and appetizers. The bartenders were busy and heard us talking about how gross the bar area was. They should have had more staff. If you scrimp on staff you scrimp on service and eventually it hurts the place. I will never return due to poor management .
The “manager” asked us if everything was OK because the nice bartender told her we were not happy . I pointed out to her how disgusting the bar itself was, covered with trash, dirty glasses , barely enough room for us to eat , dirty wet mats behind us. She said they had a leak last night, but that’s no excuse for the detritus in the busy eating areas. The kitchen door was open and that looked filthy too when I exited the dirty bathroom. The bartender talked us into the best selling “stuffed meatball “ their best selling appetizer, which cost $20. , only to be told they were out of it after we ordered it. We left half of the beef
Bracciole because the place smelled .

The manager told the bartenders to clean off the bar. The bartender apologized about the meatball. Poor management and short staffing is not his fault.
The manager made them clean up the mess. But she did not even offer to pay our bar bill. Too little too late. Won’t return again. I think they have a good reputation and get lots of business from the theater, but not from me . Too bad because the place is beautifully decorated.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 26 September 2018

My daughter and I attended the Joan Baez farewell tour concert at the Count Basie and I wanted to have dinner close to the Basie. We chose the Buona Sera and we are so happy we did. Our waiter Ryan explained the specials and we made our selections. My daughter had the Lobster Bisque soup. For the entrée, she had the Eggplant Parmigiana and I had the Veal Parmigiana and we are glad we did. Both portions required a 'doggy bag' to go. For dessert, we shared the Flourless Chocolate Cake and it was delicious. I told my wife about the restaurant and now have another great place for our date nights. An added bonus is off-street parking.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 24 September 2018

This is a very delayed review, but I still remember my meal here clearly. That's definitely a good thing.

I took my parents here to celebrate Mother's Day, and I think that this was the perfect place. The atmosphere is unique (in a good way) - check out the pictures and you'll see that it's not your typical restaurant. We were seated right by the front windows and really enjoyed looking around at everything.

Most importantly, we all loved our meals. I'm not sure if I can go back to eating regular boxed pasta after this meal - my eyes have been opened to how tasty a high quality homemade pasta can be. I went with the Tortelloni Carbonara, and I'm glad I did. The pancetta cream sauce was the perfect accompaniment to the fantastic homemade tortelloni (which is just larger tortellini). If I knew how to make pasta like this, I'd be eating pasta way too often. All in all, we had a great meal and a very nice Mother's Day experience.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 14 September 2018 via mobile

My husband and I ate at Buona Sera before attending an event at the Count Basie Theater tonight . It is visually a beautiful venue inside and out . The wonderful smell of food greeted you at the door as you entered . The bread and breadsticks offered were some of the best I’ve had in my 62 years . We both had fresh salads as a first course . I had stuff rigatoni with the most incredible sauce . The wait staff is professional and unobtrusive . The prices I’d consider reasonable for northern NJ . We are both native NJ but live in Bucks County , Pa . Wish we lived closer to dine here more often but will return again when attending events at Count Basie .

Date of visit: September 2018