“Try the Egg Salad for Breakfast”
Review of Danish Cafe

Danish Cafe
Ranked #9 of 148 Restaurants in Red Bank
Cuisines: Danish
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 12 June 2018

Very nice people in a relaxing atmosphere - good coffee and food. The Danish Cafe is a local favorite restaurant. The new owners have uplifted the interior and offer a menu with items for a variety of tastes. I especially like the egg salad on a ciabatta. Close to the Red Bank train station so you can stop on your way out of town or just after arriving. Across from the Two Rivers Theater - so good for a pre-show meet up. Check out the summer Sunday morning farm market in the parking lot after picking up a coffee to go here.

Reviewed 24 April 2018

The café is located in an interesting setting of an old warehouse/factory. Plenty of parking outside. The interior has a cafeteria feel to it. we got a bunch of breakfast items and they were all very good although it took a while to prepare.
In my opinion, it is a good breakfast/lunch place if you are passing by, but may not worth going out of your way to get there.
bill for 2 adults and a child was $30.

Reviewed 19 August 2017

Being Danish is more than hanging Danish flags …..

When I found this, through FB, I was very excited and immediately ‘jumped on’ their website. Very promising. I listened to what Lone (the owner) was saying and saw the pictures. Everything looked great, and I knew I wanted to try. Having been “a foreigner” since 2000; how nice it would be to get an authentic Danish meal – in our case breakfast, by Danish owners. The owners were nowhere in sight – you would think at least one of them would attend to the daily business…..oh, well, maybe I was just unlucky to come on the day they were out. The (American) staff is nice …

Let me begin by saying that the meal was not bad – just not Danish, and not worth the 45 minutes ride from up north.

We ordered the “Danish plate”, but short of the Havarti cheese, there was little Danish about it. Granted it include the cheese, ham and jam (the menu gives you choices) - pretty international, and we certainly use that, in Denmark, but there was not a Danish bread-type in sight. How can you serve a Danish breakfast, without Danish bread??. Danish bakeries make a lot of traditional breakfast breads, and if you want to claim “authentic”, some should be included with your meal; tebirkes, rundstykker, giffel, krydderbolle, horn, håndværkere or just simply franskbrød (sorry – these are not easily translated, but the owners will know what I mean).
I selected an artisan multigrain roll and multigrain dark bread slices. All American, which I can get in our local Shop Rite.

The meal also included a hardboiled egg….huh??... In Denmark we eat a soft-boiled egg, served in a little egg cup, and eaten with a tea spoon…..

The “traditional” Danish – “Wienerbrød” – I saw only a few options; spandauer ( jelly/custard), a would-be kanel snegl and a braided “something”. This among chocolate cookies and all sorts of non-Danish cakes. Where are the kringlerne med remonce and nuts, brunsvigerne, chocolate bolle, Berliner med sukker, …and so many others.

On the website video, Lone says “made from scratch” and “everything is made fresh every day”….(these are quotes). Well, the “Breadman” came, while we were eating, dropping off a couple of big bags of (what I assume was) bread. So much for that!
The danish we chose, were not from this morning (“fresh every day”).

Again – it was not a bad meal, as these go, it was just not Danish. It seems like it had been "twisted" to accommodate the predominately non-Danish customer - which was a disappointment

3  Thank RoyalistDK
Reviewed 11 July 2017

Small, attractive casual ambience. Ordering at the counter, with delivery service to your table. Best place for a snack and Danish plate selections.

Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

The best. Vibe. And true. Care and hearts put into every minute of it. Clean and delish and accommodating. Adore