“Customer service created a awful dining experience”

Semolina Restaurant
Reserve a table
Sat, 24/07
20:00
Ranked #30 of 134 Restaurants in Red Bank
Reviewed 11 June 2021 via mobile

We have patronized Semolina since inception and our prior experiences have been solid. The farm to table menu always terrific. Unfortunately bad service can derail history. We have been very supportive especially during the pandemic. As seasoned diners we go out to restaurants to enjoy a nice relaxing meal. We sat down at 6:45 and ordered at 6:55 where we explicitly requested to the new server that we would appreciate 15 minutes between finishing apps and having dinner delivered to digest. We just finished our apps and to our surprise at 7:12 our dinner was delivered. We asked what happened and after requesting to see our server she had no clue. We asked can it be kept in kitchen to stay warm and was told don’t have capability. I then requested to see manager. Richard showed up and could only say Sorry and you have 90 minutes for table. I said at this pace I will be out inside 35 minutes and could dine at a fast food restaurant longer. My wife literally ate less than a quarter of her halibut because she was so full. He was condescending and dismissive. I asked to see the owners/chef and he said impossible. Wow I don’t care how good your product is with lousy service there is an issue. A simple situation could have been addressed and diffused. The server never came back to ask how meal was totally inexcusable. We had to ask a busgirl for check. The server delivered and said I assume you don’t want desert. WHAT how could we shovel more in during our 45 minute visit. She was awful and has no experience to handle conflict. It was honestly our worse dining experience ever dealing with a dismissive manager and server who never stepped up. The saddest part is we loved Semolina since they opened and have recommended and patronized with many friends and family . Unfortunately this will be our last visit which makes us sad. Hopefully this helps ownership to address the shortcomings

Date of visit: June 2021
Write a reviewReviews (45)

Reviewed 12 September 2020

If you care to dine out during a pandemic, Semolina has nicely spaced outdoor dining and indoor dining too. The scallops served with mushrooms and butternut puree was sublime. I particularly liked the demi-glaze. While the menu selection is limited, the quality of the food is wonderful.

Date of visit: September 2020
1  Thank Pamela S
Reviewed 7 August 2020 via mobile

Our fav place in Red Bank. Unique Artisan farm to table dishes. My wife said “eating here just makes me happy“. Unique dishes with amazing flavor. We like that the Menu isn’t overwhelming which makes it easy to choose and we love every dish. Our waitress, actually named Karen, was amazing and knowledgeable. We could have done without the woman haranguing the awesome staff about their policy of not seating the party until everyone is there, but she left. Eventually. Thank goodness. Also, if you’re 15 min late for your reservation they won’t seat you. They shouldn’t! They need to run their business so enjoy yourself but be aware that they have other customers they want to respect.

Date of visit: August 2020
1  Thank LacrosseMD
Reviewed 9 June 2020

This is one of our all-time favorites in Red-Bank service is super friendly and they make great recommendations. The Chef has an amazing knowledge of the types of fresh food he is serving. It can get a bit loud maybe some sound-absorbing tiles might help but honestly, the food is so amazing I can deal. As for the late fall and winter, I must say I bragged about this place to my friends from the city and hosted a birthday dinner party of 4 in late October. The food was good but yes the choices are fewer as it is farm to table. Nothing we are that night was bad or sub-par yet it also was not what it had been all summer. I decided to keep this on my seasonal list for the summer if you try this restaurant you will not be disappointed. I felt the prices were fine. We just moved here from the city so I thought the food was as good as any NYC restaurant.

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed 18 December 2019 via mobile

Mushrooms and kale dominated this seasonal farm to table menu. I would have liked more variety and more vegetables besides a swipe of celeriac purée. The pasta was good, the fish was dry. I do not consider linguini and clams or cavatelli and broccoli fine dining. I make that at home. The place is very pricey and we shared pasta and dessert courses. Really don’t think it was worth the money. I have had better meals for much less elsewhere. Very overpriced and overrated.

Date of visit: December 2019