“Great food. But clueless management. Now closed.”
Review of O Bistro Francais

O Bistro Francais
Ranked #25 of 155 Restaurants in Red Bank
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

We live nearby the O Bistro Francais and my wife and I were regular diners there from the week before it officially opened. Fred Chirol the manager was a friendly colorful person and his partner Marc the Executive chef is a talented man who in my opinion has never made a bad meal. We absolutely loved the friendly atmosphere and delicious food at fair prices and recommended many people to try it.

But there were several glaring problems from day one they they just did not correct and I’m sure these lead to their demise. And we told them about them. Several times. First, the restaurant ALWAYS looked closed. It was a darkly painted building. The front windows were always dark since they didn’t use the front room on the restaurant and you actually had to enter through a side entrance down a creepy dark alley. They barely lit the alley and you had to actually walk down the alley and peer into the doors to see if it was open. I told them to just put bright lights in the front windows and maybe even a “Yes were open” sign in front. Even a neon sign in the window saying “OPEN”. When I recommended the place to friends they often said they went there but left assuming it was closed because it looked dark and closed. Simply amazing to me that they would make such an investment in opening a restaurant and be so clueless as to not leave the lights on. Simply stunning. And many I know have said the same thing.

Secondly the service was just OK if you were one of a few tables occupied during the week. A friendly Irish girl waitress did a good job. But if it got busier such as on a weekend it was obvious that the waitstaff had no idea what they were doing usually bringing the orders to the wrong customer and often bringing the wrong order entirely. Sorry but that is inexcusable. We forgave it at the beginning as we gave them time to get up and running. But it just never got better, which means the management is not on the ball. Eventually we stopped coming. And heard it closed recently. A shame because it could have been a great local staple. I wish them all well.

1  Thank MonmouthNJMD

Reviewed 12 August 2018

This is a special little place. Nice French bistro feel and the food was good. A little more expensive than I would have expected but overall very good.

Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

Have been here several times and always have a great meal! BYOB so reasonably priced night out.
Owner is very friendly and always comes by to say hello, pour the wine.

Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

I searched for restaurants near my hotel and found this gem. The best crepes I have had outside of France. This will be my go to place for the rest of our stay.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

My boyfriend and I love this place. I'm French and the atmosphere, the music and the food make this a slice of home in the middle of New Jersey. I'm working our way through the menu and everything I have had has been on point and something which is rare, always comes out piping hot!
I have already had the Salad Frisee aux lardons and it is amazing! The escargots are served with a modern touch and abundant. The pate de campagne was a trip down memory lane. Last night I had the mussels, and they were delicious! The portion is again very generous. The mussels are small, which for me is a bonus because I find they taste better that way. They come with a white wine broth with onions, garlic and thyme, all chopped super small and blending in VERY well!
For the main course, I have had the Pork in mustard sauce, D-lish! Steak Frites, a simple but staple in every French restaurant at home. My BF is a huge fan of the Steak au Poivre because they make it with green peppercorn. Last night, I had the special Sautéed Dover Sole and it was such a refined dish. It came with a little bit of green beans and carrots, and some Basil Rice. The see was perfectly cooked and melted in my mouth.
No dessert because their bread is so good, we had some with every dish and had no room :(
Highly recommend this place to anyone who wants a French culinary experience!