Ramapo Valley County Reservation
Local Treasure

Reviewed 30 September 2018
JerseyDave88
via mobile
Clean, beautiful and very peaceful

Reviewed 30 July 2018
ctnj18
New Jersey
via mobile

All reviews local hiking great place to hike parking lot headquarters waterfall conference lakes hikers trees
Reviewed 30 September 2018 via mobile

I’ve been coming here ever since I was a kid when my mother used to take my sister and I, it was the first time I brought my own kids and it took them a little bit to get into the spirit of hiking but once I took them off the beaten path and brought them down to a waterfall they started getting into it. Lots of different trails, multiple lakes, streams, waterfalls. Very scenic and great excercise. Conveniently located and a good spot for hiking even if you’re an amateur.

Date of experience: September 2018
Reviewed 30 July 2018 via mobile

I come here weekly. There are many different trails you can take. If you want low key..choose the pink path..the trail colors are on the trees (blue, yellow, pink) and u just follow them. Itll keep you close to the water when u get to the top. The yellow trail is a bit steep and really rocky but it leads you to the beautiful waterfalls and you end up on the top where the huge lake is. People swim, and dogs swim. On a really nice day there are way too many dogs in the water so u will have to walk further around the lake if u wanted to swim. Wear good walking shoes, bug spray and water. There r now porta Pottys at the entrance before you begin the trails. Enjoy!

Date of experience: July 2018
1  Thank ctnj18
Reviewed 19 June 2018

I love the trails and the fact that I can bring my dog. It is always clean and so convenient. I feel safe going by myself or with friends/family.

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed 1 June 2018

Every review I read here about the Reservation marvels at the fact that you can bring a dog here. Well, you can. Great. But if you hike these trails, know where you are, and what's around you. On the map there are several "ruins" marked, beginning right there near the parking lot and then all over the mountain. Not all of these are significant, but some are the ruins of Indian folk who lived in the area in the 19th century. Those interested should stop at the Mahwah Museum and look at Ed Lenik's book The Keepers of the Pass, where many of these ruins are clearly identified with the people who last lived there. Fascinating material artifacts. Kids will love seeing this stuff. Be warned, the trails are long and they're steep, but the 5 mile loop is well worth the effort.

Date of experience: May 2018
2  Thank AdmiralGanteaume
Reviewed 21 March 2018

This place is beautiful all 4 seasons. If the trails are clear you can walk during the winter. In the fall the change of leaves reflected off the water is like a photo opportunity. In the summer the coverage provided by the trees lets you walk before it gets too hot. There are dogs here, campers, young and old, individuals and groups.

Date of experience: March 2018