Ramapo Valley County Reservation
Review Highlights
Great place to walk

The building is a restored School house. it now houses the Trail Conference Headquarters. Check it... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
daveb914
San Jose, California
Local Treasure

I’ve been coming here ever since I was a kid when my mother used to take my sister and I, it was... read more

Reviewed 30 September 2018
JerseyDave88
via mobile

All reviews local hiking great place to hike parking lot headquarters waterfall conference lakes hikers trees
Reviewed 19 June 2018

I love the trails and the fact that I can bring my dog. It is always clean and so convenient. I feel safe going by myself or with friends/family.

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed 1 June 2018

Every review I read here about the Reservation marvels at the fact that you can bring a dog here. Well, you can. Great. But if you hike these trails, know where you are, and what's around you. On the map there are several "ruins" marked, beginning right there near the parking lot and then all over the mountain. Not all of these are significant, but some are the ruins of Indian folk who lived in the area in the 19th century. Those interested should stop at the Mahwah Museum and look at Ed Lenik's book The Keepers of the Pass, where many of these ruins are clearly identified with the people who last lived there. Fascinating material artifacts. Kids will love seeing this stuff. Be warned, the trails are long and they're steep, but the 5 mile loop is well worth the effort.

Date of experience: May 2018
2  Thank AdmiralGanteaume
Reviewed 21 March 2018

This place is beautiful all 4 seasons. If the trails are clear you can walk during the winter. In the fall the change of leaves reflected off the water is like a photo opportunity. In the summer the coverage provided by the trees lets you walk before it gets too hot. There are dogs here, campers, young and old, individuals and groups.

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed 22 January 2018

My girlfriend and I have hiked this reservation before but today it was very challenging because some parts of the trail were covered in ice, which made for some difficult maneuvering on the uphill and downhill sections. We transversed up to the reservoir, which was frozen over of course. Many people were out hiking to day due to the fact that the temperature was hovering around the fifty degree mark. Overall it felt really good to be outdoors after a couple of weeks of frigid weather. There are some easy loops located here and a couple of difficult ones. I believe there are 21 miles of trails located in this reservation and five loops. I can't wait to do this in the spring!

Date of experience: January 2018
Reviewed 30 December 2017

Great place to go for an early morning walk . Meet up with some nice people and must love dogs...its a great place in the spring , summer and fall....I would have to say winter is a bit challenging. Fall is like a post card...Go see for yourself...

Date of experience: November 2017