All reviews outdoor activities the kitchen hockey rink mountain biking family vacation freedom pass walking distance hot chocolate murphy bed white mountains new hampshire common areas unit lodge lobby weekend amenities
Reviewed 27 February 2017 via mobile

We stayed at the Golden Eagle for my son's hockey tournament, and that's the only reason I would ever go there again. The location is convenient to the ice rink and the small town common area, however you pay a premium for these rooms during ski season. I have no problem paying a premium if I receive a good value. However, that was not the case here. Our room had at least 1/2 dozen broken items including a fridge that leaked all over our food, a bathroom faucet that leaked so much it was unusable, no batteries in TV remotes, broken window shades, over head light over kitchen table didn't work to name a few. It also looked like the room had not been updated since the 80s. Furniture looked like a college dorm room and rugs were in serious need of replacement, stained and ripped. Several of the families we were traveling with also had similar problems such as malfunctioning temp control, ratty decor and broken window treatments. We asked to speak to a manager upon check out and waited over ,20 minutes for anyone to come talk to us, but we had to leave. You would think if there was an unhappy guest that they would respond immediately, but management seemed to be too busy that day.

These rooms cost close to $500/night and are nowhere near worth that money. Like I said, I have no problem paying that much if I'm getting value. Absolutely not the case here.

Date of stay: February 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank jdp1119
Reviewed 25 January 2017

I don't know if there's another location on the east coast where there's a planned community embedded in a national forest. The community has mixed accomodations, hotels, condo's, houses. The Golden Eagle is an extended stay hotel/condo with small, medium sized full functioning apartments suitable for 2-4 (or more) people. For me what makes the place great is that its embedded in the national forest and there approximately 80km's of groomed cross country ski trails traversing the village and on out into the white mountain national forest. For the more adventurous there are also many kilometers of ungroomed trails to try. Included in with the room is also access to a rather large full functioning health club with an indoor pool big enough to swim laps. Since the town is a planned community there's also a town square with a number of restaurants and shops in walking distance of most hotel's and many of the condo's and homes. Ofcourse there's downhill skiiing facility which just added a new set of trails.

Room tip: ask for a corner with lots of windows and views. Some units have newer furnishings if that matters.
Date of stay: February 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Buzz M, Guest Relations Manager at Golden Eagle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2017

Barry T,

Thank you very much for your review and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay and Waterville Valley in general. We believe that it is a special place.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 18 January 2017 via mobile

Because of Hockey Tournaments, I've had the opportunity to visit Waterville three times. Two of these, including my most recent visit, I stayed in the Golden Eagle Lodge.

The first time we were given a room that was shabbier than a college persons apartment. The furniture was ratty and just looked unclean.

This time when we made the reservation we mentioned how unhappy we were with our last visit. They assured us this time would be different and that they would be sure and put us in a nicer room.

Guess what? We actually ended up with the exact same room we had two years prior. The only change was that the exchanged the older beaten up sofa for a less beaten up old sofa.

Furniture and cleanliness aside, the tub drain was clogged and the dining table is extremely awkward as the fold down sides do not fold up level with the table.

As for the place in general, the one big complaint I have is the Wireless Internet Service is so bad that it is unusable. I could not use Outlook Email to stay in contact with my office. I had to use the Verizon connection on my phone which burned up all my data for the month and then some.

If it weren't for Hockey Tournaments I'd never go back there. By the way, in the in between year, the place up there we stayed was worse:

Date of stay: January 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank PricingGuy007
Reviewed 6 December 2016

My friends got married here in September. We booked a suite in the Lodge, not really knowing what to expect as they are all owned individually. We were happily surprised with the accommodations! The place was clean, comfy and well furnished. I would definitely stay here again!

Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 17 November 2016

I just loved my experience at the waterville valley village and my stay at the golden eagle lodge... the self contained village is so convenient the room at the lodge was clean comfy and walking distance to all the amenities... could love to come back again some time...

Date of stay: September 2016