“Good food, rushed experience”

Montana's Rib and Chop House
Ranked #2 of 63 Restaurants in Livingston
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of Southwestern Montana, the Livingston location was the original Chop House that began May 22, 2001. In 2004 we relocated a few blocks down from the original location to an old railroad receiving warehouse just a few feet away from the main line of the Burlington Northern Santa Fe railroad now known as Montana Rail Link. The food is fun, the service is great and you will leave knowing you did't just have dinner, but a dining experience.
Reviewed 15 June 2024 via mobile

Our table was ready at reserved time. Server was friendly and attentive but honestly rushed our experience. Food arrived quickly and as ordered. My father-in-law found his pasta jambalaya “weird” but all others enjoyed their meals. Reasonable prices and big menu.

Date of visit: June 2024

Reviewed 13 June 2024 via mobile

Service was very slow but looked like only 2 servers. We ordered several items the broccoli was cold and the chicken lukewarm on the chicken Marsala. Creamed chicken and Mac n cheesy also disappointed. The bison burger and French dip was good. The ribs were just ok.

Date of visit: June 2024
Reviewed 25 May 2024 via mobile

Had the fried green tomatoes and crab appetizers, filet and au gratin potatoes, and jambalaya pasta. All excellent. Good choice of beers on tap. The remodeled train station was a nice atmosphere. It was a couple of miles off of I90 but worth the detour of our travels.

Date of visit: May 2024
Reviewed 21 March 2024 via mobile

My server was a very nice, gracious and caring guy. A big hats off to Mike!

I didn't spring for the $75 ribeye, but I did decide to treat myself to a $44 ribeye, versus much less expensive options. For me, flavor and tenderness and quantity made the idea "worth it" for a special treat.

My state was perfectly cooked, oh my gosh the flavor was absolutely incredible, I am thrilled that Mike and whomever the chef is... What a wonderful team that they get to work together, between the incredible service and the perfect cooking, what a wonderful experience.

Okay, what about it didn't I like? Paying $44 for a steak in March of 2024 should ensure a tender and flavorful steak without much waste. My attached picture shows the waist, I estimate 20% of the steak, which should have been trimmed before weighing it and delivering it to me. The cut was not a good one, I love ribeyes and the chef did a spectacular job with the Dollar Tree cut that he had to work with. I did not mention a concern about the quality of the state, I was not interested in a dollar and $1.30 worth of food cost to get a "free desert" to make a $44 bad cut of meat okay. Lol

I gave a five-star rating because I plan to come back when I return to this part of Montana. As a small business owner myself, I understand keeping expenses down, and the owner certainly has to keep food costs down by not having the highest quality meat. I wonder if I should have even mentioned my disappointment, they did have a $75 option, and if I had wanted a perfectly tender cut, why didn't I order it? Good point.

Date of visit: March 2024
Reviewed 6 March 2024

Great lunch menu with very reasonable prices. The salad options were great and delicious. Appreciated the healthier options on the menu and the not as healthy:) Fried green tomatoes are delicious!

Date of visit: March 2024