“Horribly tough $44 ribeye ... but ..”

Montana's Rib and Chop House
Ranked #3 of 63 Restaurants in Livingston
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of Southwestern Montana, the Livingston location was the original Chop House that began May 22, 2001. In 2004 we relocated a few blocks down from the original location to an old railroad receiving warehouse just a few feet away from the main line of the Burlington Northern Santa Fe railroad now known as Montana Rail Link. The food is fun, the service is great and you will leave knowing you did't just have dinner, but a dining experience.
Reviewed 21 March 2024 via mobile

My server was a very nice, gracious and caring guy. A big hats off to Mike!

I didn't spring for the $75 ribeye, but I did decide to treat myself to a $44 ribeye, versus much less expensive options. For me, flavor and tenderness and quantity made the idea "worth it" for a special treat.

My state was perfectly cooked, oh my gosh the flavor was absolutely incredible, I am thrilled that Mike and whomever the chef is... What a wonderful team that they get to work together, between the incredible service and the perfect cooking, what a wonderful experience.

Okay, what about it didn't I like? Paying $44 for a steak in March of 2024 should ensure a tender and flavorful steak without much waste. My attached picture shows the waist, I estimate 20% of the steak, which should have been trimmed before weighing it and delivering it to me. The cut was not a good one, I love ribeyes and the chef did a spectacular job with the Dollar Tree cut that he had to work with. I did not mention a concern about the quality of the state, I was not interested in a dollar and $1.30 worth of food cost to get a "free desert" to make a $44 bad cut of meat okay. Lol

I gave a five-star rating because I plan to come back when I return to this part of Montana. As a small business owner myself, I understand keeping expenses down, and the owner certainly has to keep food costs down by not having the highest quality meat. I wonder if I should have even mentioned my disappointment, they did have a $75 option, and if I had wanted a perfectly tender cut, why didn't I order it? Good point.

Date of visit: March 2024

Reviewed 6 March 2024

Great lunch menu with very reasonable prices. The salad options were great and delicious. Appreciated the healthier options on the menu and the not as healthy:) Fried green tomatoes are delicious!

Date of visit: March 2024
Reviewed 26 February 2024

We had eaten here several times before and had a moisture of experiences. This visit yesterday cured us from ever going back. I ordered the Chicken Fried Steakfast. This was the worst I have ever had. The supposed scrambled eggs on top were few and far between. They had no taste. Tjeu reminded me of the eggs I had in the army. We called them cardboard eggs. They were smothered in an over salty gravy that killed any other flavor but salt. I picked at the eggs and then got the guts to try the chickedn fried steak. It was over cooked and just before being burnt inside. I then tried the potatoes. They were disgusting and so over salted that I could not eat them at all. I took a couple of more bites from the steak and quit. The potatoes, on top of being salty enough to float the Titanic, were pure mush. Does anyone know how to make Home Fries or Hash Browns anymore? My wife and daughter were with me. They thought I was exaggerating so they tried it and spit it out. When they finished their Brunch, the waitress came by and looked at my still full plate and asked if I wanted a box. I said no but my wife said at least take the meat and the dog can have it for snacks, So I told the waitress I wanted a box. I took the meat only and she knew something was wrong. I told her to tell the cook to lay off the salt. She came back and said, the next time, they would make a separate batch for me. No one offered to comp the order and I did not want to make a scene with my daughter and wife being there.

When we were ordering, I told my daughter I had the steak and Cesar salad before, and it was fine. She ordered. the steak and Cesar salad. I noticed her struggling to cut up the meat...even with the steak knife provided. I asked her what was wrong? She said the meat was extremely tough. She did not finish her salad and left some of the meat. It was too tough to bother chewing.

My wife ordered a hamburger. It was fine. However, the fries were listed as hand cut and supposedly came with Ranch dressing. The waitress even asked if my wife wanted the dressing, and she said yes. The burger came with the fires and no ranch dressing. The fries did not look hand cut. They were all uniformly narrow like a fast-food restaurant would serve. They tasted like they had freezer burn. My wife commented on that, and my daughter and I tried them and agreed. They were either freezer burned or had been sitting around for a very long time.

When we got back to Ennis, we stopped in at a local store and my wire commented to the owner that we had been in Livingston and ate lunch at the Rib and Chop House. She asked how we liked it My wife told her how bad it was. She said, "oh No!" She and her husband had been talking about how the Livingston Rib and Chop House was the only one left that they thought was still good in the chain. They said they had eaten at several others throughout Montana, and they were terrible. My wife told her what our experience had just been.

The prices were exorbitant. Our waitress kept the water glasses full and was attentive. However, many and I mean many of the people who came in after us were served and left by the time we were served.

A really good waitress on seeing my full plate not eaten, would have spoken to the manager and comped me on the plate. There was only one other time in my life where I stated something really minor and negative about the meal and it was in a small town near the Wise River. I was immediately comped and when I returned, every time after that, the owner served a portion twice the size of a normal portion. I told her it was not necessary and the comment I had made not that big a deal. That is the difference between a family-owned restaurant and a chain restaurant like the Chop House..

Date of visit: February 2024
Reviewed 22 January 2024

We frequently eat here but my experience this past Saturday was easily the worst meal I've had here and one of the worst ever in my life. My wife and I sat at the bar to watch the football game and each ordered the steak and lobster tail off the winter menu. Our server was a bartender I believe named Gabe. After about 15 minutes with a half full bar he finally took our order. Salads came out fine but dinner did not. I ordered my steak medium. It was raw-the knife made tearing sounds as I cut into it and it was very cold to the touch. Gabe said the plate it was served on was 400 degrees, it was also ice cold. My wife's steak was cooked right but was also cold. The baked potato was so cold the butter and cheese couldn't melt. I asked Gabe to take the steak back and cook it properly. Several minutes later my steak comes back rare, still nowhere near medium. I call Gabe back over to point it out. He's useless. Basically stands there staring at me, doesn't apologize, and doesn't know what to do. Finally he says he will take my steak back and cook it again. This is a steak restaurant-how do you not know how to prepare one? Gabe takes my plate and walks away, near the kitchen door he yells across the bar he will get me a new steak. Five minutes later, Gabe goes home because he wants to watch the football game and asks another bartender to cover for him. Ten more minutes pass before a manager appears. She apologizes and says she will make an adjustment to our bill. Ten more minutes goes by and I still don't have a steak. I grab the new bartender and mention I'm still waiting on a replacement steak. He goes to the kitchen and brings it out-it was excellent this time. We get our bill and the manager took a whopping $4 off for the entire experience. Laughable customer service.

Date of visit: January 2024
1  Thank michaelkQ5525HV
Reviewed 21 September 2023

A lovely lunch with tremendous service. We have eaten at several of the locations in this Montana chain. This one was their first. We have always had a good time with really fine food and service in comfortable surroundings. My wife is on a tough diet so we asked our server if some of their ingredients on a dish could be replaced to customize it. No problem he said. Her salad came our perfect. I had the gumbo and a ceasar salad. Everything was perfect and very filling. They serve large portions. Service was excellent as we worked our way through a total of six glasses of iced tea. We floated out with smiles on our faces and full stomachs. They do it right here.

Date of visit: September 2023