“Impeccable Server... Food & Atmosphere not so much”

Montana's Rib and Chop House
Ranked #3 of 63 Restaurants in Livingston
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of Southwestern Montana, the Livingston location was the original Chop House that began May 22, 2001. In 2004 we relocated a few blocks down from the original location to an old railroad receiving warehouse just a few feet away from the main line of the Burlington Northern Santa Fe railroad now known as Montana Rail Link. The food is fun, the service is great and you will leave knowing you did't just have dinner, but a dining experience.
Reviewed 5 July 2023

Let's start by saying that it is rare that I write reviews and there are only two reasons why I would... Either the experience was extraordinary or it faceplanted. This one fell flat, and one must ask why this saloon with food on the side had so many high marks, and I won’t go into those reasons.

First, I will say in this town, due to reviews about other establishments, they don’t like you sitting in their dinning room unless you have enough to fill a table of 4 or larger, as they wanted me to “Sit at the Bar” or high tables around the Bar.” Considering I’m exposing this place with some reality, they might want to reconsider that policy.

Next, the “Lemonade/Limeade with Huckleberry.” To be clear, I love limes in food and drink, but I would rather have flushed this down the toilet.

Then I ordered their “Famous Filets” and chose garlic mushrooms and broccoli as the sides. Where do I start… A steak, mushrooms, and broccoli on three separate little plates (wish I would have grabbed a photo), and I was warned that the steak plate was extremely hot and given the broccoli and mushrooms were room temperature, they should have been on a bigger “Hot Plate.” Mushrooms, given my extensive experience of cooking and preparing FRESH Mushrooms of all varieties, these were of the variety, bottled green giant, what my mom served back in the day when fresh mushrooms were an unknown.

If I would have wanted raw broccoli stems to eat, I would have gone to the local market and tried to eat the stems in the car. If you are going to quick steam or pan sear “stalks,” you use broccolini with small stalks.

Next, their “Famous Fillet…” I had a nice fillet before I came on this trip that I purchased at my local market and it was about 3+ inches thick and cut with ease after being pan seared. Their “Fillet” was barely 1 inch with a cut resembling a sirloin and given the gristle, this was no “Fillet.” So either they have a horrible butcher or they are cutting corners, which is it?

What can be said about the atmosphere? Maybe a cowboy saloon (one walked in with his spurs on his boots like he just got off his horse) with a U-shaped bar with a big screen playing and a loud jukebox or music track with a tacky looking dining room on the side. Maybe it’s big with the locals, but, if you are trying to portray yourself as a top tier “Steak & Chop” establishment, you have a long way to go.

There was one bright spot with this incredible disaster, my server Mariel. It had to be at the end of her shift and she was cheerful, outgoing, informative, attentive, and compassionate. The owners need to give her a raise, as she saved this night from being a full disaster.

PS… Send your “Chef” back to McDonalds.

Date of visit: July 2023
2  Thank Sean B

Reviewed 15 June 2023 via mobile

Great steak and wine along with exceptional service. My husband and I enjoyed our night out in Livingston with a delicious, tender steak with all the trimmings. The bartenders are top notch and friendly especially Nathan. Thank you for a great time.

Date of visit: June 2023
Reviewed 11 May 2023

I would pay double for the filet I was served at Montana's Rib and Chop House!! Tender and prepared perfectly! Dirty martini was also perfect. Our server was attentive and always there when we needed her but never in the way. If we lived nearby, we'd be there every week!

Date of visit: May 2023
Reviewed 18 February 2023

I had a wonderful big lunch here on Monday, May 9, 2022. We had had a couple of inches of snow in early morning, but it had melted. Still cold and windy. So the restaurant had customers but was not very crowded. I think I had a steak, and it was awesome. Plus a dessert, also awesome. Nice acoustics ... not too loud.

Date of visit: May 2022
Reviewed 29 November 2022

My family eats here a few times a month. When they staff and kitchen are good there isn't a better place around, but it's been very inconsistent the last 6 months. More often than not my steak is undercooked, A LOT, like blood rare when it's supposed to be medium. Servers and managers seem to turn over a lot. Some managers walk around and never do anything. Prices are going up due to inflation, so they need to tighten up their act to meet the pricing.

Date of visit: November 2022