“Do not eat or drink here if you have other options”

Montana's Rib and Chop House
Ranked #3 of 64 Restaurants in Livingston
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of Southwestern Montana, the Livingston location was the original Chop House that began May 22, 2001. In 2004 we relocated a few blocks down from the original location to an old railroad receiving warehouse just a few feet away from the main line of the Burlington Northern Santa Fe railroad now known as Montana Rail Link. The food is fun, the service is great and you will leave knowing you did't just have dinner, but a dining experience.
Reviewed 12 March 2022

This place is a dive. Food is awful, super salty and over-priced. Most of their beer on tap is from an obscure brewery that is owned by one of the partners...and it is bad.

Date of visit: March 2022
1  Thank J J

Reviewed 6 March 2022 via mobile

This was our favorite location, the first Rib & Chop in Livingston, MT, which has become a chain in several states over the years…Hugely disappointing now.

I’ve been in their rewards program for a couple years—where a card (or two) can be linked with your email & you earn a point for every dollar spent.

The Livingston location in particular has had issues adding rewards points to my account; those points add up quickly, & deserve to be counted.

My dinner was simple: A large baseball-cut sirloin with garlic mushrooms & squash casserole as the sides. I ordered it medium well, which I expected, since that’s what I like & always order.

The server was pleasant, & perhaps is new, so I tipped her 20% despite the fact that she didn’t listen. For example, when I stated the sides I wanted, she then proceeded to ask me again about sides, & I told her that I had just chosen the two I wanted with my steak…

The steak & sides arrived in just under 15 minutes, which is fine, & the presentation was good. The flavor is so good, it doesn’t need steak sauce, but I wanted a little different experience, so I added some…Unfortunately, the server, Karina, never asked me to check my steak when it arrived & she didn’t return until 20 minutes later, when I asked for a box. She never once asked me how my dinner was; very disappointing service.

My steak was medium, except for the outer two inches all the way around, so I ate that & reasoned that the rest of it could be reheated in the microwave & brought up to medium well…The last thing I wanted to do was allow that red steak to go back to their kitchen, where the cooks should have known it never was medium well when they sent it out to my table!

The sides were good, but arrived lukewarm at best; consequently, my idea of a leisurely steak dinner ended in 20 minutes. I reheated the sides when I got home, too.

And then the rewards fiasco occurred which caused me to write this updated review: I told Karina I was in the rewards club. She asked for my email & I wrote it down for her—& then she didn’t add the points when she checked for the card on the account! A manager even came by the table & mentioned the QR code, & when I said I wasn’t familiar with that, neither of them explained it!

I drove home to Bozeman & pulled up my rewards account, & the card I used is not listed—my other card is listed twice instead, & no points have been added. This happened several days ago, & it’s so irritating that this location cannot handle the rewards properly, that I’m “d-o-n-e, stick a fork in me”. It took several attempts last year to correct a lot of missed points, & it’s just annoying!

I’ve saved my receipt, of course, & will have dinner soon at the Bozeman location, where my steak will be prepared as I ordered it & the rewards missed & earned will be counted.

Date of visit: March 2022
5  Thank tlewiswatts53
Reviewed 28 December 2021 via mobile

Our family of six enjoyed a variety of steaks all cooked to perfection. The service was excellent and attentive. Most notable the Caesar salad was delicious without too much anchovy. Stuffed baked potatoes were full of deliciousness. The old fashioned was a great great to choose.

Date of visit: December 2021
Reviewed 3 October 2021

Everyone in our group enjoyed our food and service was great. The steaks specifically the filet was great at this place.

Date of visit: September 2021
Reviewed 29 September 2021

Stopped after leaving Yellowstone, the food was amazing! We had the ribs and ribeye. They were both cooked perfectly. The service was outstanding! If in Livingston…a must try!

Date of visit: September 2021