“OPEN RANGE, Bozeman, MT - BEST DINING EXPERIENCE EVER!!”
Review of Open range

Open range
Reserve a table
Mon, 17/06
20:00
Ranked #35 of 286 Restaurants in Bozeman
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Casual, elevated steakhouse with upmarket dishes & desserts, plus craft cocktails & outdoor seating. Take-out alcoholic beverages provided * Spirits, cocktails, wine, and beer at menu price! Please see our website for take-out beverage prices and selections. Cheers!
Reviewed 14 July 2021

My wife and I visited Bozeman on my birthday, May 21 of this year flying in to an early summer snow storm and complete white-out. We had been referred to Open Range from several local fly fishing guides as a great place to celebrate a special occasion. We really enjoyed the warm ambiance of Open Range, especially with it snowing outside.

The meal prepared by Chef Bobby along with the excellent service provided by Danielle and staff was all world. The chef prepared special appetizers in an assortment of creative small plates that were delicious and complimentary to our meal. The tempura shrimp was terrific as was a special plate with cucumber and plum accents. I was surprised that OR had my favorite Fruh Kolsch beer! My wife enjoyed a lemon drop. The Llama malbec paired with our meal by Danielle was perfect. Simple things like bread, butter (best we have had!!) and salad became adventures in dining with unique flavors and presentation. The vegetables served with our entrees were delicious! We especially enjoyed the beef tenderloin with bearnaise sauce. We loved the small plate approach this restaurant uses - healthier and in my experience, allows you to savor more dishes and flavors.

Bobby has roots at the famous Zingerman's Restaurant in Ann Arbor, MI and his attention to detail was amazing. Danielle personally checked on us multiple times to ensure our experience was nothing short of exceptional. It was Denver's loss when this super culinary couple moved north to Bozeman. Danielle even provided insight and guidance to a great restaurant in Livingstone owned by their friends that we enjoyed over the weekend.

We wrapped up our meal by trying ALL the desserts - Gold Apricot, Creme Brulee strawberry short cake and black plum lavender fluff, red verjus.

We look forward to another visit to Bozeman and Open Range soon. If you have a special occasion, I cannot recommend a better place to celebrate it. Prices are very reasonable as well.

Date of visit: May 2021

Reviewed 7 July 2021 via mobile

Swordfish and Ribeye was very blah! Best part of meal was the Macaroni and Cheese and the Pistachio Butter!! Atmosphere was ok

Date of visit: July 2021
1  Thank Mwilson1016
Reviewed 30 June 2021 via mobile

Second time here. Last year it was very quiet and spaced out so enjoyed a more lively vibe. Our server was friendly and knowledgeable and he provided a description of the Osso bucco that proved worthy. It was delicious! We also ordered a filet and potatoes which was also just right. The salads were a good start, complemented by drinks, a Piedmontese Barbera and a “strawberry shortcake” creme brûlée. Not cheap, but everything came out with a nice pace and attentive but not invasive service.

Date of visit: June 2021
1  Thank GK1959
Reviewed 29 June 2021

Four of us went for dinner before departing for Yellowstone National Park the next day. Three of us were delighted with our petite filet dinners. I got the Wagyu Sirloin and, while it tasted very good and was prepared well, it was unexpectedly tough to chew with a lot of fibrous parts. My jaws literally were tired when we were done. The cocktails were excellent and the wine was good.

Date of visit: June 2021
1  Thank AMIKayaker
Reviewed 26 May 2021 via mobile

Went here while in the area for work. The atmosphere is very nice and kept up well. Our waitstaff was pleasant enough when they came around, which wasn’t very often.

The food was very expensive and if you order steak it’s just the steak. Everything else is a la carte. I ordered the 16oz ribeye and roasted carrots. Others in my group ordered the same and the cheeseburger with fries and Mac and cheese. My ribeye was very good, the only complaint is that it was about 1/4 of just fat, others in my group had the same issue. The cheeseburger was delicious. The roasted carrots were awful, and most were burnt. The French fries were so over salted that it nearly made you gag to eat them.

Overall, I’d say give them a shot but just be prepared to send your food back if it’s not done properly. The cost is way too high for what the quality they are putting out.

Date of visit: May 2021