Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
Get rewarded with One Key
Get rewarded with One Key
Liza M
San Francisco, California

Still the best luxury hotel in the state

Review of Northern Hotel
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 24 Mar 2024
We stayed here in 2015 and it is just as memorable today as it was then. It still looks new and modern. The staff remains attentive and professional. The rooms are comfortable and clean. We love the valet service, and found the gift shop unique. We ate at both restaurants and will leave reviews for both as they were positive experiences. Easy to see why this remains the best luxury hotel in the state.
Date of stay: March 2024
    $182
    $179
5.4 km from Northern Hotel
View more hotels in Billings
All reviews valet parking downtown billings boutique hotel front desk staff very nice hotel comfortable beds diner southern lobby montana walkable linens
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 March 2024

Every once, in a while, you find a hotel that just exceeds expectations! And the Northern hotel in Billings did this for us. I am originally from Billings, and most of my family is still there. I wanted to bring my father back to his hometown to see his siblings again. This most likely will be our last visit altogether as my father is very ill. I need a specific room to be able to accommodate his needs being in a wheelchair and having a CNA with us. The accommodations were perfect! The is location is prime, and the service was outstanding. If you have the opportunity to have Shelby check you in, you’ll see exactly what what I mean. Not only did she make our stay easier, but definitely more comfortable! I loved having the little restaurant at the bottom of the hotel, and the valet parking was a bonus for us! When we head back to Billings, this is exactly where we will be.

Room tip: Ask for Shelby at the front desk. She is amazing! She will make sure your stay is comfortable and memorable.
Date of stay: February 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Cindy D
Reviewed 24 February 2024 via mobile

Just an incredible experience from the staff to the room. A doorman on site 24/7 and free airport transport are just some of the perks. Older hotel but the rooms are completely updated and modern with an incredible bed. It has to be the best hotel in Billings hands down.

Date of stay: February 2024
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank bnj728
Reviewed 8 February 2024

This was our third trip to Billings and stay at the Northern Hotel, and while we have been long-time fans of it and it's cozy atmosphere, this last trip has left a bad mark for us and I am not sure if we'll be back.

The room and hotel were nice as always, but the first day after we checked in, I received a call from the hotel inquiring whether we had a pet in the room, advising that housekeeping noted scratches on the door and that I would have to pay a pet cleaning fee for having a dog in the room. Let me be clear, we did not have a dog in the room, I flew in from California with my tween daughter and checked in late at night, nor did I see any obvious damage in our room from someone having a dog. I explained that to the hotel staff over the phone, that we didn't have a dog in the room, that I had no idea what they were talking about, and although they insisted for a while that housekeeping wasn't wrong, she finally said she would look into it further but not to worry about it. Great, seemed really odd, but we went about our stay and I never heard anything further, until after I returned home and noted a separate $150 charge on my credit card from my stay. No receipt, no email, just the charge.

When I called to inquire about it, I was told by the hotel staff that it was a pet cleaning fee. Really? I DIDN'T HAVE A DOG IN MY ROOM! No manager was available to speak with me, but I was told that the housekeeping staff saw me with a dog in the hotel and there were scratches on the door. What?!?! Exactly what does it require me to do to show you I didn't have a dog there? I'm still waiting to hear from the manager as to whether the pet cleaning fee will be refunded, but I am no longer sure I want to return, where I can just be charged an extra $150 for having a pet in my room when I didn't. This is a small hotel with one working elevator at the moment, so it boggles my mind how exactly I would have been hiding a dog in my hotel room for a 3 night stay. I also took photos of the door and I really don't know what damage housekeeping saw. I truly hope this was an anomaly, since I've raved about the hotel to my friends for years but now feel uncomfortable returning.

Date of stay: January 2024
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Heather A
Reviewed 1 September 2023

This is an amazing hotel. The staff is so friendly and welcoming. Valet was quick to respond. The rooms were very clean and nicely accommodating. The restaurants are excellent. TEN had amazing food as well as Bernie’s Diner. I highly recommend staying here !!!

Date of stay: August 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2023

This was a lovely conveniently located place to stay in Billings and offered a lot of value for the room price. The lobby was pretty and off of it there was a very authentic looking diner and an elegant bar/restaurant. The front desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The room was nicely appointed and very comfortable. The room price included complimentary valet and a free drink upon check in. I booked through hotels.com and was given 2 $10 off vouchers for the bar or restaurant. My only complaint and it is minor is the way they pass the credit card charges which looks like you are being overcharged by $100 until what looks like 2 holds are released.

Date of stay: August 2023