Algotels
Lol.travel
Scott

Downhill…in service and hospitality

2.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 16 Oct 2021via mobile
Have stayed and dined at Bucks for the last 12 years. Our last stay was not a good experience. Service at the front desk was non-caring and almost insulting. It was not disclosed when making reservations that the restaurant was closed Monday-Wednesday. They used to have wonderful breakfasts… our experience were awful sandwiches in a paper bag. Rates were way too high for off-season. Bucks used to be a great place of hospitality with a very friendly staff. Things have changed….downhill like avalanche.
Date of stay: October 2021
Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
Trip type: Travelled with family
view of grounds
12.4 km from Buck's T-4 Lodge
  • StayForLong
View more hotels in Big Sky
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 October 2021

very disappointing with our stay at BuckT 4 lodge,. the resort maybe use to be a classy place, but dent in wall ,chipped paint, rusting showers closure, very thin towel( a lot washes i guess). our bedroom door lock was broken, and door was difficult to close, clumsy soap dispenser not even filled with proper amount of products make it a vestige of a glorious past. For $256 per night including taxes, you should at least offer a good size tv and Netflix, front desk staffing was welcoming , only positive stay in this USE TO BE LODGE

Date of stay: October 2021
Reviewed 12 October 2021

Let's state the obvious...for the area, this is likely one of the cheaper places you'll find. However, for the price, I would expect a much nicer experience. We stayed here several years ago and it was just average. Since then, it appears as though nothing has been changed or updated. It feels old. Our room stunk like leftover fried fish and there was a VERY strong smell of marijuana on our upper floor. Seems like lots of traveling workers stay here, so lots of trucks and music and loud noises. There is a smoking area, or at least a place for cigarette butts, right at the bottom of the stairs. So, for us non-smokers, we get to enjoy the smell of cigarette smoke and stale smoke every time we enter or leave our room. The room itself is just old school...no room at all on the countertop (which sits just outside the bathroom). Bathroom itself is small and dated. I would expect this from a VERY budget motel, but I guess they can charge what they want at this location. I would NOT stay here again but would rather spend money for a better experience elsewhere. Also, this was one of FEW hotels on our trip that did not have their full breakfast display out. Instead, you got a packaged meal based on your preferences, which was fine, but the breakfast was actually one of the few positive notes from our last stay. Disappointed that they didn't offer more for breakfast. Sad to say that this place is in desperate need of help. It's such a beautiful location, it's a shame that this place is falling behind. Spend your money elsewhere if possible.

Date of stay: September 2021
Reviewed 15 July 2021 via mobile

Enjoy the strong smell of dog urine? We don’t either. But a recent overnight stay at Bucks T4 lodge found us inhaling just that throughout the night. No one should have to endure this nauseating situation, and most especially when one has paid $480 for one night. With all rooms being full, we made it through the long night and exited early. Stopping to politely inform the desk clerk of our experience, her only response, “Thank you. I’ll let housekeeping know.” Therefore, we felt it important to let you know and were left wondering if the response was indicative of a reoccurring issue within their rooms.

Date of stay: July 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2021 via mobile

For the money over $200 (we had the wedding rate) this is more like a rundown motel 6. The rooms are no where as nice as the photos. The sheets were dirty with blood and crusty stuff on them. The towels are old and super thin. The iron was cabled to the ironing board like anyone would want to take such a horrible piece of equipment. The iron burned my husband's shirt although we had it set to the lowest setting and stained my clothes before the wedding we were here to attend. We stayed here 4 nights and our room was never cleaned the entire time. The coffee makers in the room were horrible! The coffee tasted like crap!!!! I would not ever recommend this motel to my worst enemy!

Room tip: No elevator so be prepared to carry heavy bags up stairs. Call for clean sheets when you check in and ask for a decent working iron
Date of stay: July 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 18 January 2021

This place was tough to review. Overall it was is clean and acceptable but after staying there I am surprised to see it over 4/5 . I think is so high is for a few reasons
- apparently pre-covid they had an amazing included buffet breakfast. For my stay they had a takeout breakfast which was good one day but mediocre for most. It's yogurt, cereal, and 1 rotating hot item (usually filled with eggs and potatoes).
- Big Sky is expensive and this is one of the few somewhat reasonable options that is "close enough" to the slopes at around $200. Keep in mind the lodge is a 20 minute drive from the slopes- so you are paying less to be somewhat far but also to stay in what essentially is an older motel that would normally be $50 a night.
- Despite being 20 minutes away from the slopes- there is not much you are missing out on compared to staying slope side (besides obviously easier skiing access) . There is a quickly growing town center with hotels/restaurants/shops but that is still 10 minutes from the slopes and Buck's T4.

The common amenities and grounds have very little charm- the lobby carpet is basically the same as those glue down carpet tiles they put in 90s offices. The hot tubs look like swimming pools and mostly just have views of tall wooden fencing.

There is no Ski shuttle- instead a public bus stops at the resort- but looking at the schedules it does not leave often and takes forever ~45 minutes. Big Sky does have a free parking lot and an amazing parking shuttle system that runs almost every 2 minutes.

I will say about maybe 1 out of 3 guests did not wear masks in public areas and seemed to like to hang out outside their rooms. I actually kind of expected this knowing it's kind of part of rural culture and Montana is very rural- but after concluding my trip I realized this experience was only for this lodge specifically- no where else did I ever pass folks indoors without masks.

If I were to do this trip again I would do one of the following

- Stay for cheaper at the 320 guest ranch that is 15 minutes further away. While I did not see inside the rooms (I'm sure it's as basic as T-4's )- I visited the property and it just had a lot of rustic charm and better ambiance compared to T-4.
- Pay more for for a better property that is also closer to the slopes
- Stay in Bozeman for a cheaper/better hotel and better dinners in town (I'm sure this is bad idea if you want to Ski on a weekend)

Date of stay: January 2021