Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Alyssa O

A Dream

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 1 Jun 2021
Visiting LMR was honestly the best trip I could have imagined. Not only was the staff perfect and so friendly but the other guests were also amazingly personable and amazing. Not to mention the unreal views. Shout out to Cailin and Erica for being the best wranglers ever. I can’t wait to visit again.
Date of stay: May 2021
Trip type: Travelled solo
Ryan Kunz, General Manager at Lone Mountain Ranch, responded to this review
Responded 26 Sept 2021
Thank you for the 5 star review!
    $487
  • StayForLong
  • Agoda.com
  • Vio.com
View more hotels in Big Sky
All reviews the sleigh ride dinner cross country skiing lone mountain discovery package north fork nordic skiing yellowstone tour all inclusive package downhill ski winter wonderland trout montana experience winter activities bozeman airport the entire staff minute drive ski vacation
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 February 2021

I often visit LMR to go cross country skiing, and I have a season pass. I have witnessed since first coming to the ranch in 2012 a change in the focus of the management that neglects the skiing experience. This year, before I am about to go out, I check the grooming report. More than three times I have discovered that though the Board reports a trail groomed, it is not. The first time it was Middle Fork, a 7.75 mile intermediate trail that had about 5 inches of snow on the trail. The second time it was Ranch Loop, a 3 mile, mostly beginner, very popular trail. The third time was yesterday, and North Fork, once a popular trail for guests, had not been groomed for at least 2 days, judging by the depth of snow.

This not just about lack of grooming. It is also about accurately reflecting snow conditions on the board for skiers who care to check. I am a classic skier, and I prefer a groomed trail so that I can go faster and glide. Skate skiers need a groomed trail to achieve the correct stride. If a trail isn't groomed, fine. Just mark it on the board!

I also have a sense that the staff in the Outdoor Shop (where the shop and ski rental is located) doesn't care about getting it right and even finds my presence annoying. I understand I am not a ranch guest, but I do have a season pass!

Finally, LMR used to provide complementary hot chocolate, cider and tea to skiers in the Outdoor Shop. Because of COVID, they have changed this from self-serve to served by staff. Yesterday after coming into the Shop to report bad conditions on North Fork - 7.5 km of stepping on skiis through two days worth of snow, we asked for two hot chocolates. The staff member served us watered down 1/4 packet cups of brown hot water. Now, this is insulting. If you are going to do it right, don't offer it at all.

I beg the managers to focus more on the skiers' experience, especially since the trail system LMR oversees is a national treasure. There could be a driving fitness oriented sport culture around the ranch, but it feels as though this is not part of the business plan at the moment.

Date of stay: February 2021
Ryan Kunz, General Manager at Lone Mountain Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2021

Hello There,

I would like to address a few of your concerns.

First off, I apologize for the un-groomed snow conditions you have experienced the past week, however the ranch has received well over two feet of snow during this time making it very difficult to keep the trails well groomed when accumulations were occurring at 2-3 inches an hour. We will also strive to be more accurate on our snow reports.

We did have to remove our complimentary coffee/ tea/ and water station due to Covid-19. This was a mandate by the Gallatin county health department.

Lone Mountain Ranch strives for excellence at all aspects of our operation not limited to our Nordic program. We take great pride in servicing our Ranch guests, restaurant patrons, and Nordic family. This has been a challenging year managing the changing regulations, keeping our employee's and guests' safety a main priority, while still creating the magical experience that LMR has to offer. I would appreciate your grace, patience, and understanding as we move through these unprecedented times however, if you would like to speak with me directly, you can reach me at 406-548-4489.

Thank you for your support and enjoy those trails!

Reviewed 8 February 2021

Currently in snow, but not the luxurious surroundings in Big Sky but NYC. Sadness aside, WOW. Lone Mountain and their team blew me away. The property is spectacularly stunning, the amenities, and location, but the real stunner lies within the team that works there. Other hospitality professionals, especially hotel professionals are extra critical.We never miss the details. Lets just say, I was mind blown. From Andrew in reservations: empathetic, keen, and extraordinary professionalism, Miles: my driver who was so personable and just a joy to see each morning. As well as Lori, the full of life Ski instructor. The Sleigh Ride Dinner and the massages with KT, the drinks and food executed from an amazing bar team( Diego, my girl from San Diego and the cool gentleman from Baltimore) alongside Josh, the new F&B Director. I could not have feel more comfortable in a place far from my comfort zone, more welcomed and more in good hands. Anytime you get a free couple of days to come out, enjoy the team and facilities during all seasons. I will be back!

Date of stay: February 2021
1  Thank sheenab1009
Shea Shaughnessy, Other at Lone Mountain Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2021

Thank you for your thoughtful review Ms. Bolt! It was a pleasure to have you stay with us, and cannot wait for your return.

Reviewed 9 January 2021

My family and I decided to book at Lone Mountain Ranch for New Year's based on reviews we've read and the fact we wanted more out of our ski vacation than just skiing. This Ranch is first class all the way. We stayed in a "duplex" cabin close to the main building (Lame Deer/Canyon) and it was perfect for our teenage sons and us. The boys had their own room with fireplace etc. and the two rooms connected via the bathroom. They had their own front door and allowed the family to be together but still have privacy. We booked the winter package that included all three meals at Horn and Cantle plus a sleigh ride dinner. The food didn't disappoint...it was an unbelievable menu for an "all inclusive" package! The sleigh ride dinner was magical as it snowed the night we went to the cabin. Our only complaint on food was the sleigh ride dinner is a set prime rib dinner and two members of our family don't eat prime rib bit everything else was fantastic. The other minor complaint was the New Year's eve dinner was a pre set menu and it took forever...which is in line with every New Year's Eve dinner I've ever had in my life, so I can't knock Lone Mountain too much for that.

We booked a Snow Coach Tour of Yellowstone through the ranch and Matt, our guide, was phenomenal. He spends his summers hiking through Yellowstone, knows all the history of the park and truly loved showing us that national treasure...I highly recommend that tour!

We also ski'd at Big Sky and it was an easy, 10 minute shuttle ride to and from the ranch. They use a text concierge system and were always responsive with ride requests, dining changes etc. The ski conditions weren't great as they had not had much snow but I've read they've gotten much better the first week of January. Big Sky has a lot of different terrain and you should be able to find something for all skier levels. My wife also Alpine ski'd one day as the Ranch has some of the best alpine/nordic ski trails in the world...while I didn't do it, she highly recommended it. They have all the gear in their main building and also have snow shoes and sleds!

All in all in was a terrific experience and a great way to experience Montana!

Date of stay: December 2020

Thank you for your kind review! Our most sincere apologies about your wait during the NYE dinner. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 8 December 2020 via mobile

The price is worth it! My wife and I were looking for a place to vacation. My daughter recommended Lone Mountain Ranch. They had come across it on a motor home trip earlier in the year. My wife immediately jumped on the bandwagon and said we have to go. Looking at the prices (for the winter package) made me take a second gulp. I don’t mind spending money but the price seemed very high ($1000+/night). Finally I was in. The experience was great, well worth the price! Starting at the airport they were waiting for us to take us to the ranch. The driver explained the sites along the way and answered all of our questions. The checkin was seamless. Our cabin was beautiful (Ouzel). The fire box was ready to go and we enjoyed a nice fire later that evening. We popped over to the restaurant (horn and charter). What a dining experience. Though it was “just lunch” the food and service were great! It was a little awkward since all of our meals were included when a check came (about half the time this occurred, but not a big deal, I just don’t like to feel like someone is getting under tipped- I added 20% each time anyway). We relaxed in the cabin and sipped a half bottle of Pinot, that was waiting for us in the cabin. All of our dinner reservations had been prebooked. At six we went in to enjoy dinner. It was beyond incredible! I couldn’t believe the insane/creative/tasty food and varied menu. In the past we went on lots of cruises. Over the years the food quality (even on the “elite” lines) has decreased. This, because our package was meal inclusive, surprised the heck out of me. We dined there 5 nights and tried most of the items on the menu. The servers and bar keepers recommended their favorites, we were never let down. The bar menu included a huge wine list and speciality drinks. They were varied, creative, encompassed a lot of the local liquors, and tasted great! We dined in the restaurant, bar area, and on the enclosed outside area by the fireplace so we could experience it all. I could spend the remainder of this post on the restaurant alone (5 stars). We also went on the sleigh ride dinner and loved the ride up, on the sleigh with MB (our driver), as well as Jake and Judy (our sleigh pulling horse friends). Because of covid the dinner was limited to one family group per table (6 tables with 14 people). We were entertained by singing and storytelling from our singer (Rick, I think, I’m horrible with names). He was a great guy. The dinner was fantastic! Before going up you can purchase champagne and wine, and we got both. Again it is pricey but the quality was great! (RMS champagne- never heard of it but loved it- and Duckhorn Cabernet- what the heck we are on vacation). I won’t go into the food details but we loved it all! It sounds like all we did was eat but the winter activities were great as well, though the snow was limited (first week in December). I signed up for Nordic cross country skiing lessons (included in our package. I have done alpine skiing- poorly- and this was a new experience). I thought I would just wing it and get the skis. The lady, who runs the ski shop, said it was worth taking the lessons- she was right). My wife doesn’t really ski so she set up a snow show tour, for the both of us, the next day. I showed up at 9 and found I was the only one. I had a private lesson with Rachel. She was patient, attentive, and kind. She said I did very well (right?) for the two hours we were together. We ended up paralleling the sleigh ride path. The next day I went out, on my own, and enjoyed the lower beginner trails. The next day my wife and I went out with Matt and got a scenic tour through the hills and forest. He is also the naturalist who takes people on the Yellowstone (not Yosemite) tours nearby. He pleasantly imparted his knowledge of the creatures in the area. We encountered lots of new employees to the ranch. New or old the one thing in common was the kindness and helpfulness they all displayed. You can tell this is a great place to work and they go overboard to help in any way they can, whether they are tasked with working in that department or not. I would hire any of them in a minute. We are getting ready for our final dinner tonight. I can’t wait to try something new! We plan on visiting again with kids and grandkids. I can’t wait to return!

Date of stay: December 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mark S

We appreciate these kind words about LMR. Thank you for shouting out so many of our wonderful staff members. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 12 November 2020 via mobile

This place! And the staff!!! So great. My words are inadequate but let me tell you ... everything from reservations to check-in to dinner to the perfect retreat is right here at Lone Mountain Ranch! My husband and I stayed in the Ousel cabin and it couldn’t have been better. We actually had to make ourselves leave the ranch one day just to sight see around Big Sky out of a sense of duty. Couldn’t wait to return to LMR. The best thing turned out to be no TV! We had a record player with a beautiful and fun selection of albums and a wood burning stove. Upscale linens and blankets. Perfection. We absolutely loved it. And another thing that made this cabin perfect for our little getaway was the proximity to the Horn and Cantle restaurant. We just walked across the lawn and we were there! Of course, there was a fire pit with beautiful chairs available right in front of the restaurant. The food was AMAZING! And let me tell you that another great thing was there was no roads with cars of people driving to their cabins. Complete privacy. And no bright street lighting. So great! The walking paths were great and also the ATVs were right there within a moment of our text for assistance with getting to and from our cars. I only wish we had taken them up on the horseback riding! Next time for sure because I WILL BE BACK! Oh and one more thing...the beds were the best, so comfortable!!!! We were able to unwind and actually relax. Getting away from our work and hectic routine. This is the greatest!!!

Date of stay: November 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank sonjam123

Thank you for this wonderful review! We are thrilled you enjoyed your winter stay. Now come and see us in the summer!